1/6 Ujindou UD9038 U.S. 2nd Armored Division Infantryman (Germany, 1945)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asta

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Ujindou UD9038 0.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 1.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 2.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 3.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 4.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 5.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 10.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 6.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 7.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 8.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 9.jpg

Ujindou UD9038 11.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 12.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 13.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 14.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 15.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 16.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 17.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 18.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 19.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 20.jpg

Ujindou UD9038 21.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 22.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 23.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 24.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 25.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 26.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 27.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 28.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 29.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 30.jpg

Ujindou UD9038 32.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 33.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 34.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 35.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 36.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 37.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 38.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 39.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 40.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 41.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 42.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 43.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 44.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 45.jpg
Ujindou UD9038 46.jpg

UJINDOU 1/6 WWII U.S. Armored Infantryman, Germany 1945,
NO.UD9038

M1 Helmet x1
M1 Helmet Netting x1
Winter Tank Crew Hood x1
M1941 jeep Cap x1
M1943 Field Jacket x1
M1943 trousers x1
Tanker Jacket x1 (2nd Pattern, 26th March 1942)
USAAF British Made Anti-Flak Vest x1
Scarf x1
M39 gloves x1
M1944 Rubberised Waterproof Over Boots

M1923 Cartridge Belt x1
M1936 Suspenders x1
M1942 First Aid Pouch x1
M1911 Belt Holster x1
M1943 Jungle Field Canvas Backpack x1
M1936 Musette Bag x1
M1910 Canteen Metal x1
M1910 Canteen x1
M43 Shovel x1
M43 Entrenching Tool Cover x1
M1 Garand Rifle Ammo Bandoleer x1

M1 Garand sniper rifle x1 (with M2 flash hider)
M1911A1 .45calibre Pistol x1
M1 Garand Bayonet x1
H Youth dagger x1
MKII Fragmentation Grenades x2
M1 Garand Ammo and clips x2

2nd Armored Patch
US Arm Rank Insignia
US Cigarettes

HEAD SCULPTURE
BODY W/ RELAXED HANDS
GUN HOLDING HANDS

Last edited:
I wasn't sure about this one at first. It's certainly more appealing than the promo photos for the UD9035 2nd Armored Division in duck hunter camouflage.

In most of the photos the rubberised boots look more like felt, but actually look better in the close up shot for some reason.

The tank jacket has odd coloured collar, cuffs and waist band, as does the jeep cap. I think it should be more green than mustardy. Yet it looks like it could be better tailored than DID's and Facepool's Wardaddy 1st pattern jackets.

The jacket put me in mind to build a tank crewman, but you can't do it solely with the parts from this set. He needs a regular webbing belt to carry the M1911 holster, rather than the M1923 Cartridge Belt. There isn't an M1911 ammunition pouch either.

And since the tanker I had in mind would be earlier in the war, and in a warmer climate, I'd be wanting boots with anklets and a non-winter helmet. I've always liked Facepool's Wardaddy combination tank helmet under M1, while the figure as a whole never appealed due to the cavalry boots and shoulder holster.

So the only thing from UD9038 to build a second figure is the jacket, which at best could be explained by fading under the North African sun where the 2nd Armored Division served for a time.

Supposing Ujindou skimp on patches as they often do, even though the final photo shows insignia on both the M1943 and tank jackets, DID's Patton came with multiple patches including a 1st Armored Division, who saw more action in Africa than the 2nd.

So after going through the options this one is likely a single figure purchase, with the tank jacket prompting buying extra parts.

Ujindou gave their UD9015 Chindit a Rifle No. 5 Mk I, aka the "Jungle Carbine", which never actually saw a jungle during the Second World War.

It was issued to British airborne forces in Norway towards the end of the war, and first saw jungle action during the Malayan Emergency (1948-1960).

The relevance here is that they've given UD9038 an M1C Garand sniper rifle:

"So far as is known, no M1C rifles were used in combat in Europe. I have included a pair of war-time color images in this article that show the M1C in Italy during 1945 — but these were likely taken after the war had ended. I have never found an image of an M1C in combat during World War II."

The article in more detail:

The M1’s top-loading and top-ejecting action was a significant challenge. Unable to mount the scope directly over the receiver, experiments were made with a prismatic scope that featured an offset tube. When this proved fruitless, U.S. Ordnance determined that the scope should be mounted on the left of the receiver — allowing normal operation of the M1 rifle.

Enter the M1C​

Following a series of tests, a commercial telescopic sight base and mount built by Griffin & Howe (at that time owned by Abercrombie & Fitch) was chosen for the new M1 sniping variant.

article-m1c-m1d-garand-sniper-rifles-4.jpg

The strongly-constructed G&H base was attached to the M1 receiver with little modification — just three screws and two taper pins held the scope mount in place. The whole arrangement was sturdy and could easily be removed while maintaining the “zero” of the scope.

U.S. Ordnance chose the Lyman “Alaskan” telescope for the rifle, and the scope was later standardized in two versions: the M81 featuring a cross-hair reticle and the M82 using a tapered-post reticle.

During June 1944, the new rifle (designated M1E7) was adopted and standardized as the M1C. Consequently, the M1903A4 sniper rifle became “limited standard”.

However, production of the M1C did not begin in earnest at Springfield Armory until later that year, and the new sniper rifles only reached the troops in small amounts, and less than 8,000 were constructed before the end of the war.

article-m1c-m1d-garand-sniper-rifles-5.jpg

So far as is known, no M1C rifles were used in combat in Europe. I have included a pair of war-time color images in this article that show the M1C in Italy during 1945 — but these were likely taken after the war had ended. I have never found an image of an M1C in combat during World War II.

In his book Ordnance Went Up Front, World War II ordnance man Roy Dunlap briefly described the M1C:

They were beautiful outfits and I would have given anything to have had one during the war, but they arrived in the Philippines just before the Japanese surrendered. The rifles were selected, the best finished and tightest M1s I ever saw, and of course sights and rifle came together as a unit
Ordnance Went Up Front

The M1C was equipped with the M2 flash hider and a leather cheek pad treated for mildew resistance (made by Kay Leather Company).

https://www.thearmorylife.com/the-m1c-and-m1d-garand-sniper-rifles/

As with the Chindit's Jungle Carbine, which was a useless accessory unless you wanted to use it for a paratrooper in Norway or a post war figure, the 2nd Armored Division's M1C Garand sniper rifle is just as pointless (unless the telescopic sight can be removed without damaging the rifle, which is unlikely).

I'm tempted to say typical Ujindou. They tend to fall down on historical accuracy and uniform colours; the tailoring isn't always up to DID/Facepool standards, and their sculpts are often tiny.

The M1C, along with the boots and the odd coloured tank jacket, is a good excuse to skip this figure.

So after going through the options this one is likely a single figure purchase, with the tank jacket prompting buying extra parts.

Had to look up the jungle pack, it can't be that common in the hobby ( Can it? I was gone for over a decade, maybe these were produced in 1/6th more than I think)

Wish this figure had a "found" Bren gun instead. Not sure if that's accurate in any way to the era/timeline, just think it would help the set sell better. All I can remember from the M1C and M1D Garand Sniper rifles from Dragon Models back in the day, the cheek rest, something in the plastic would cause marks/burn into the stock. I think... That was long ago. I know there is an drive to try to infuse unique weapons as much as possible in sets, but sometimes I wish we'd just get guns made again and again with the best secondary market value ( for example the modern Easy And Simple rifle sets, just give a H&K P8 pistol ( USP pistol) with the sets as they are scarce and hotly coveted. Maybe it's just my old memory kicking in, but I remember it was like pulling teeth to find a loose Bren in the old days.

Had to look up the jungle pack, it can't be that common in the hobby ( Can it? I was gone for over a decade, maybe these were produced in 1/6th more than I think)

Wish this figure had a "found" Bren gun instead. Not sure if that's accurate in any way to the era/timeline, just think it would help the set sell better. All I can remember from the M1C and M1D Garand Sniper rifles from Dragon Models back in the day, the cheek rest, something in the plastic would cause marks/burn into the stock. I think... That was long ago. I know there is an drive to try to infuse unique weapons as much as possible in sets, but sometimes I wish we'd just get guns made again and again with the best secondary market value ( for example the modern Easy And Simple rifle sets, just give a H&K P8 pistol ( USP pistol) with the sets as they are scarce and hotly coveted. Maybe it's just my old memory kicking in, but I remember it was like pulling teeth to find a loose Bren in the old days.

I don't think I've ever had a Bren. Had a few BARs with old Dragon figures, and a couple with the recent Ujindou First Special Service Force figures.

Back in the heyday of Dragon Models when German figures were dominant the Americans were next in popularity, and while I was collecting I don't remember seeing many British. Don't think I even had a British figure until DID's Expeditionary Force Coleman, which I later sold because he was getting outdated with his sculpt and clunky cap and jacket. I kept his Vickers machine gun, though it doesn't see action with any figures in the collection.

DID's Afrika Korps Wilhelm got me back into collecting WWII because he was reminiscent of Raiders of the Lost Ark, and it couldn't have been a fluke that his sculpt was Michael Byrne, who played Vogel in The Last Crusade.

North Africa lead me to Ujindou and their SAS figures, and eventually a collection of British Commandos. Sten guns, Lee Enfields and the erroneous Jungle Carbine, but no Bren.

I was hooked on Ujindou for a while, but the shine has worn off. There have been some very good releases, some very poor ones, and some mixed offerings containing quality parts.

I'm at the stage now where I'd rather wait for other companies than jump on a Ujindou because it's the only one available right now. The high quality and overall appearance of Facepool's Buck Compton really put things into perspective.

I've also abandoned the idea of getting parts to make a US tank crewman. I found everything required, apart from a decent jacket. The colour of Ujindou's collar, cuffs and waistband look completely wrong to me. I looked at reviews of the old DID Wardaddy and more recent Facepool Wardaddy, and neither of those jackets looks tailored well enough at the collar. The figures looked awkward. Again, rather than make do with what's available, I'll wait on the off-chance that some company will produce one to a higher standard.

It feels quite liberating to be able to say no to Ujindou.

hey Asta, I’d like to get your opinion on this headsculpt following our conversation in the other thread. I think it looks fine scale wise per the official images. What’s your take on it? Cheers

It looks on the smaller side compared to other brands, but it doesn't stand out like some of their others. It should be workable as long as the new figure isn't very bulky.

Back