22" Master Chief 117 Halo Print Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phastroh

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first Master Chief project and has been going on a while. Lighting killed my 3d printer, lots of bad prints and tons of testing and trials. I think when you blow up a model this much it can cause some of these issues.

While I likely have 2 more full models in parts LOL many have some of the dumbest issues so I use them for testing paint and washes.

I own pretty much every statue ever made of this guy and they are all fantastic and amazing. My favorite is still the McFarlane H4 version just because the quality, planning and skills and techniques are the best.

With that said and I understand there will be those rolling their eyes I truly feel like this is the best looking Master Chief I have ever seen painted. I have seen a few others that are lights out but I still feel this is the best looking one I have seen.

His color is Vallejo Olive Green which is not right but the moment you paint on Vallejo Green Wash you get this exact color which to me is perfecto.

This is not completed just yet. Just quickly to finish him will be the following. He is not glued together at all. Each piece needs to be carefully examined except the arms are fully done.

1) go over each piece one at a time with water, qtip, paper town, soot and silver from my Tamiya weathering kits.(HobbyLobby brands the silver is so gray and no metallic to it like Tamaya. I need to remove some details here and there is lighten them up and there are still areas that need silver and maybe a touch of soot. While he is not particularly clean it is how it looks and not how much is the point of what I must do.
I applied the soot by my finger and I was not completely happy how heavy is was specifically on his thigh but at the same time it is not that bad. I will explain why he looks this way in a bit.

2) I must build a base. I really want to use a ring artifact but they are so large it would be impossible however I can use the bottoms up until a few feet over his head and make the ground grass and sand. Possible a touch of water. Likely months from now add a dead grunt or Jackal and some weaponry however that is undecided
The base will be made though.
I did take some large pix so there is a lot of detail to see.

I detailed him this way because he is a super soldier, shot up by lasers, beating things to death, non-stop fighting and yet in the game they make him look like he is on vacation. I get it why, they can’t have him looking like the war machine he is because in the game it is all about looking pretty.

This is more what he would really look like and to be honest he looks the most badass I have ever seen him. I did like how he looked in H2 Anniversary but he was a bit too scratched up for me and not enough dirt.
I originally considered just a few scratches but as I say there working I started looking at his body parts and how he fights and all the crazy stuff he’s done and this really is how he should look. Not some fancy outfit to take photos in.
That’s is a big reason I really feel like he is the best looking Master Chief I have ever seen.

His chest plates are just too awesome looking.
Some of the silver scrapes are almost to realistic looking.
I am never one to say anything about my work ever but apologies to anyone that thinks I sound like a die but I can’t help but look at it and know I have never seen anyone better. My option and doesn’t have to be yours.

So the one thing I did was I used clear resin for his helmet and dyed it a golden yellow. Unfortunately I made it hollow so the visor is not exactly what we are used to seeing so I am waiting to get a bottle of clear resin and new dye and I will reprint a solid version and repaint it.

I was so happy with the paint on this that redoing it will be agony LOL I had a few with mirror gold paint for fun but I wanted to do something similar to McFarlane’s visor. I am jelly over that visor and that is how they made it. I think they said resin over the pattern but I do not have the pattern or the ability to make a model in parts that I can put it together like they did.

The helmoet has the structure bumps on it in the back too LOL I was too lazy to sand plus I know Id be replacing it.

I am considering 2 things.

Making a solid version and drilling out for LEDs to light him up on his mask. I cannot imagine how that would look. The other idea is house one I already have and test painting clear resin over the painted mask and using my resin flashlight to harden it. I would just tape it off and do a few light coats and paint to over a pattern.

Well either way this helmet is staying for now and I will not lie, I put a lot of time and effort into painting that one.

My future after finsing this and the base will be to see of the guy that made this model would make me a few custom poses. May even do a red vs blue in dyed resign but they would have to be solid and that’s not likely possible with the weight of it.

NOTE: He has tips under his feet because the model leans forward from how it was designed. The base was far too big at this Cale and I have no way to divide it up since my slicers are the free versions LOL

I really hope there are Halo fans out there that can appreciate the model. I have had people offer to buy it but I won’t sell this. He just looks so frisking awesome though. :)

Attachments

• 10.png
    10.png
    8.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 1.png
    1.png
    8.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.png
    2.png
    9 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.png
    3.png