*BEWARE SPOILERS* Alien: Romulus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shame they had to change up the design yet again. Given this takes place between the first two movies you would kinda expect it to look like one of those xenomorphs, but I guess they were worried it wouldn't look fierce or believable enough for modern audiences.

RDT_20240715_0004213394468308525839186.png

Yeahhhhhh, I take it all back. They really don't know how to design Aliens or Predators anymore. So desperate to avoid the man-in-a-suit aesthetic that they cooked up a video game monster instead.

I think it looks decent enough. The Big Chap design (which happens to be my favorite) hasn't been around since the original Alien. I'd love to see a return of it too, but that's probably unlikely.

Yeah... not a fan of this design.
It's an odd amalgamation of earlier designs, isn't it? The head has a this AvP-R vibe going on, with the large side opening on the mouth, the arms are very Big Chap-esque, the legs look AvP, the feet a mix of AvP and Aliens, the hands look AvP again, the chest and skinny tail remind me of Covenant alien...
Oh well.
Won't be pining for a figure from this one.

My favourite is probably the model from Aliens, although the Big Chap's barely visible skull is creepy as hell and seems more visually effective for a stalker / ambush style creature, than the swarms of melee-oriented creatures in the sequel.

Part of that is habituation to where the two styles appeared over the years, sure -- but my logic is that the creepy detail lends itself more to horror and suspense as in the first film, and would look played out pretty fast if we saw it over and over again in a swarm.

To be honest, I don't remember if it was a detail we saw clearly in Alien, been a while since I've watched it.

The Dog Alien from Alien 3 was cool enough, and although the movie was goofy I didn't so much mind the standard warrior Xenos in Alien: Resurrection; that being said it seems every rendition of the creature after the first two films was some kind of step down to varying degrees. The tendency in film to re-design and over-design seldom lands, IMO.

Agreed.
I think the design of the alien started to really suffer after A3. That was a very interesting and novel take, after that ADI just went for the "monster" look. It had a certain logic in Resurrection, due to the mixing of DNA, but AvP and Requiem weren't too interesting. The "Deacon" in Prometheus didn't really work for me either, it was too far removed from the original idea, but I did like the Covenant aliens. The Proto-alien (or whatever it was called) was very creepy, and the final xenomorph was an interesting idea, looking more like a desiccated corpse - made sense coming from David's experiments.

Last edited:
Pretty nifty marketing with the VHS tape idea:

It looks great, but I still feel it's using too many "best of" scenes from the franchise...

If dorsal tube envy wasn't a thing after Sideshow's poorly-endowed Mythos statue, it will be now. Comparing the tubes on the Romulus Alien's back to the Big Chap's, well, it's no secret where the latter got his name from.

Don't judge me, Giger should've known these conversations would take place when he designed what he designed.

Well, to be fair, even Giger thought they were silly design-wise and got rid of them on his design for the Alien 3 creature. IIRC, he said he included them to balance the elongated head and further break up the human silhouette, but that ultimately they didn't make much sense.

Back