Custom 1/6 scale Abe Sapien (Hellboy) - Lots of pictures!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Entity

I need a good judge
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I have always loved the design of Abe Sapien from the Del Toro Hellboy movies. I was just starting to collect Hot Toys figures when this one and the Perlman Hellboy were released and missed out on them. I've been keeping an eye out for them now and then, but never pulled the trigger because of deteriation issues.

Anyway, a couple of years ago I didn't miss out on the 2019 Hellboy figure and after reading some of the comics again, I was inspired to give him some buddies.

I managed to find a (quite badly deteriorated) Abe for a decent price and I still was on the fence. I did some research, watched the sparse number of Youtube vids out there of this figure and contacted the seller to get some more details. Luckily she was very friendly and answered everything I wanted (and needed) to know. I decided to go for it and create my own custom. Because Abe isn't in the 2019 film (apart from a hand) I decided to make a more comic inspired version.

The most important parts of the figure (head, rubber necksleeve and arms) were still in good shape, as were the accessories. The wetsuit was absolutely desintegrating. It was the most nasty material I've ever seen on a Hot Toys figure. It was some type of cloth that looked like it was smeared with black charcoal or something and was all sticky. Luckily the seller advised me to handle the figure with latex gloves because they were all black after handling the figure. All the badges and stuff that was glued onto the suit came off immediately. Which was good because I wanted to use some of them later. I cut up the suit and disposed of it rightaway. It actually felt like a health hazard. I gave the body and accessories a good wash with some mild dishwasher soap and the figure itself and the accessories came out perfectly clean.

Now it was time to assess the damage. Unfortunately the body wasn't in the best of shape. Both knees were broken, one ankle was broken as was the neck connector, which in this case was a slim rod over which the rubber neck sleeve needs to be placed. This one was snapped in half.

20240911_201957.jpg

So, I had some fixing to do. I decided to keep the body and just glue the lower legs back to the joint. The upper knee joint works and I never planned on giving him crouching poses anyway. I drilled a small hole in the neck rod a to create somewhat of a cilinder. I also drilled a small hole in the other half which was still connected at the connector socket. (You can see it in the redhandled pliers). In it I placed a iron nail with its head cut off for extra reïnforcement. The lower part of the nail went into the socket so the two broken halves sat flush. I secured it with super glue.

Because the outfit was gone I needed a whole new one. Like I said I wanted to go for a comic inspired version. In the end I like to call it a mix of the movie version and the comic version. I expected it to take a long while to find everything I needed, but luckily I found everything at once at the same place, so it went really fast from that point.

20240920_192941.jpg

After that, it was already time to finish this figure!

I decided to go with these diving boots, because I thought they suited Abe better than the laced up army boots that he came with. I chose a black legging that originaly came with some Dam Toys figure to give it the look of a wetsuit. I think it works really well!
20240921_115105.jpg

While the original belt was still quite good in shape, I decided to not use it because it still was pleather and because of that I wasn't able to clean it properly. I feared it might stain the new clothes and it probably was only a matter of time anyway, before I had to replace it. I went with a cloth rigger belt and salvaged the belt buckle and communicator. (I think I have it upside down, but no big deal. Easy to fix).
20240921_115007.jpg

I ordered an extra pouch with some beads on it. Seeing these guys battle the supernatural and have all kinds of talismans, I thought it would make a nice fit. I also didn't want to overdo it because in the movies Abe isn't as talisman-laden as Hellboy is, so I figured this was just enough.
20240921_115013.jpg

I salvaged the (luckily) plastic holster from the original belt and used it, and I ordered a random carabiner for appearance-sake. I also ordered a wrist compass, because I figured as a diver he would need it and it looks cool.
20240921_115043.jpg

20240921_115034.jpg

I found a brown Bren-vest that I thought was perfect for the figure, because he wears a form of combat vest in the comics that looks quite a bit like this. At first I was planning to remove the little ropes, but seeing that they are used to secure the pouches I left them in. I actually quite like them and those too add some extra flair I think. I used fabric glue to fasten the BPRD logo and his nametag to the vest.
20240922_151619.jpg

Time for the full reveal!
20240922_151557.jpg

20240922_150652.jpg

20240922_151352.jpg

20240922_150847.jpg

20240922_151157.jpg

20240922_151326.jpg

20240922_152519.jpg

The team:
20240921_115907.jpg

Let me know what you guys think! And if you have questions, then please ask away! :duff

Back