Han and Luke as Stormtroopers - SDCC '09

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hiya folks,

SS collector and sometimes lurker here. I am sorry now that I do not follow these boards more closely.

I am one of the folks who opened the box and were shocked at the height difference not knowing ahead of time that this would be an issue. I am extremely displeased with the perspective photos that indicate the proper height of Luke. I am honestly amazed that SS would be intentionally misleading like that.

I can get over it, tho. But... I also have issues with the figure.
Logging in here, I see there are many folks claiming to have problems with these.

Rather than slog through the hundreds of posts, I will ask the experts here on the forum for a recap.
What problems have been noted with these items?

I see the helmet issues, and paint issues.

One of my figures has a calf that is not glued together completely and the footpeg will not stay in or hold a pose. I am also curious as to whether or not Luke is supposed to have the detonator fanny pack. If so, I am missing that as well. Alongside of that, the blaster for Luke has issues with the paint apps. I put the figures back in the box before I found any other problems. I will have to look at them much closer this evening.

I had just received my Vader which was unbelievably awesome, and now this set is truly dissapointing me. Not sure if I will do a return yet or not, but someone on the wait list just may get a gimpy, paint splotched Luke.

thanks for listening - rche

Hiya folks,

SS collector and sometimes lurker here. I am sorry now that I do not follow these boards more closely.

I am one of the folks who opened the box and were shocked at the height difference not knowing ahead of time that this would be an issue. I am extremely displeased with the perspective photos that indicate the proper height of Luke. I am honestly amazed that SS would be intentionally misleading like that.

I can get over it, tho. But... I also have issues with the figure.
Logging in here, I see there are many folks claiming to have problems with these.

Rather than slog through the hundreds of posts, I will ask the experts here on the forum for a recap.
What problems have been noted with these items?

I see the helmet issues, and paint issues.

One of my figures has a calf that is not glued together completely and the footpeg will not stay in or hold a pose. I am also curious as to whether or not Luke is supposed to have the detonator fanny pack. If so, I am missing that as well. Alongside of that, the blaster for Luke has issues with the paint apps. I put the figures back in the box before I found any other problems. I will have to look at them much closer this evening.

I had just received my Vader which was unbelievably awesome, and now this set is truly dissapointing me. Not sure if I will do a return yet or not, but someone on the wait list just may get a gimpy, paint splotched Luke.

thanks for listening - rche

First off, welcome rche!

Most people's problems seem to be sloppy paint applications, especially the eyes.

Some (like myself) have reported the strap on the chest armor shifted while the glue was still wet and left glue residue visible on the armor and a slightly scrunched strap.

I don't think anyone has mentioned any problems with the calf or the ankle/foot joints and I think most are happy with the overall tightness of the body--although some have reported that Luke's leg/hip joint is loose.

Luke comes with the grappling hook instead of the detonator. So only Han has the detonator (wrapped in tissue).

If the calf seam is not glued all the way and is causing the peg to fall out, you may be able to fix that yourself. It might not be worth the time and trouble to replace the whole figure. But take another look at the figures when you get home and give them a thorough inspection. I didn't see the armor strap issues right away, so it might be worth a second look.

a pity indeed.

I picked up the Yavin Luke last year, fully aware of the recycled parts and quick production nature of these sorts of things, and was fairly pleased with him. But then again, his price point wasn't over 200 bucks.

edit: I forgot to add that I kind of assumed that in the spirit of recycling, SS was going to use some Buck bodies for the Luke and shove the armor on them and I was kind of looking forward to something like that.

I am OK with the height thing and see it as sort of a challenge. Tho I do NOT appreciate the deceptive photo shoot. I am sure that has been covered at length here.

But to see this many folks having issues with quality is certainly a pity indeed.

There have been many improvements and good things from this company in the last year. I hope this is an isolated comicon sort of thing and does not trickle into the mainstream releases.

Last edited:
Man, I am so happy mine turned out ok after reading all these reports of issues. Paint apps on mine are great, only real issue with mine was that Han's magnet on his holster was loose. Other than that, they are perfect and I LOVE them both.

Just got my RMA number from Sideshow, so I guess they're accepting my return! Now I gotta wait for the UPS return label to be emailed to me.

I think its a good bet that these were quickly put together and shipped for SDCC. Pity.

It's kind of odd if that is the case. It's not like SDCC isn't a set event, you'd think they'd get a head start. Hopefully they will for next year.

Got my set yesterday:chew:

dsci0002u.jpg

dsci0003g.jpg

dsci0004pxm.jpg

dsci0005n.jpg

dsci0006k.jpg

dsci0008b.jpg

dsci0009u.jpg

dsci0010f.jpg

dsci0011b.jpg

Does anyone need a set? I have one unopened that I removed from the shipping box to check the contents and everything appears to be okay.

Just want what I paid for it with shipping. Let me know! I changed my mind on it, but was on flexpay and didn't want to incur the fees for cancellation.

Ryan

Well, after messing with these guys for a night, I'm pretty pleased. I can't get them to stand for more than an hour, but I had that problem with the original Stormie. I'm definitely going to try to change out the bodies.

I wonder how the attendee versions sold at SDCC. If they still have a lot left over from the show, those should make it back into non-attendee circulation and more to exchange from! I just hope they tend to the people who want exchanges before they start fulfilling waitlisters!

Sorry to any of you waitlisters, but I want to get my (no-issues) replacement set! :peace

They only had about 17 that weren't picked up at the show.

Now that I've had a chance to look at mine and pose them a little bit, I'm quite fond of them. :)

Anyone else notice that Sideshow heard the critics' complaints about the dull Stormtrooper armor before they had these made? Nice and shiny, mine are.

Keepers. :rock

I noticed and they did a great job with that. Seems like every time they do another iteration of the stormies, they make an effort to improve the look.

I was initially thrown by the fact that Luke was missing his back cannister on his belt but I'm glad to hear there was none.

Overall I'm happy with the set. I think that this is by far one of the best Luke sculpts I've ever seen. Too bad this wasn't used for the Tatooine Luke figure. The only thing holding it back is a proper paint job. It will be interesting to see what the customizers on this board will do with it. :D

Does anyone know who sculpted it?

I like 'em! You can pick apart any of the figs SSC has produced, but yet people still buy them and a good majority seem pleased with them. I just wished they'd keep their damn value!

Finally got my Han and Luke Stormtrooper set-along with Darth Vader-yesterdayfrom SSC!!!
Living in Australia and having read and SEEN most of what people have been posting on here the last week and a bit i was really anticipating the WORST for these 2 figures!!!!
When i did open mine i was AMAZED that there were NO googly eyes,NO crappy paint jobs,NO scuffed armour,NO loose ankles!!!
I was worried that Luke didnt have his canister,but from reading the above post,he didn't come with one anyways,so that's ok.
So here are some quick pics i did str8 out of the box!!!No futzing and NOT much light but i will do more pics on the weekend...enjoy.

Back