Hot Toys MMS DX; your thoughts?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Possibly through the hollowed out neck with a jointed lever system? Would be a huge chore to pop off the head though every time you want to pose the eyes. Having a little pin to position them seems ideal.

as much a chore as taking the magnets off your fridge. very simple and easy. trust me, i've tried it with enterbay's bruce lee.

I think the MMS DX is awesome! but they should come out with a reg MMS and a DX at the same time, like the next popular HT figure they should have a reg MMS for like $140 and then a DX option for $190 or w.e.

I just hope they don't do it like release a reg MMS and then 6 months later a DX that's wwaaayy better :lol

Gotta agree. I definately don't think Ken's clothes look more real than HT's :lol

which is my beef exactly. ken is a doll. but this, the joker, it's not supposed to be a doll. the BR joker's head is a mini clone of the real thing. that head doesn't deserve a doll clothing. it only shatter the illusion that this is supposed to be BETTER than doll.

I'm really curious where this DX line might go.

With Joker, the DX aspect is basically offering a second figure with a bit of extra technology. Will they all be 2 in 1s? How much extra stuff would it take for other characters to be DX figures? It's quite hard to gauge what will qualify as a DX figure right now.

The clothes and portraits on HT figures look in sync to me. BR Joker's head doesn't look out of place on the V1 figure, it looks like a figure head on a figure body.

which is my beef exactly. ken is a doll. but this, the joker, it's not supposed to be a doll. the BR joker's head is a mini clone of the real thing. that head doesn't deserve a doll clothing. it only shatter the illusion that this is supposed to be BETTER than doll.

I'm not seeing eye to eye with you on this but to each his own,right? :D :duff

I've never been bothered by the V1 or BR clothing. I think both came out great for 1/6 figures. I guess from following discussions that there are issues, but honestly if it was never pointed out I would not have noticed.

But, even "seeing" them hasn't bothered me a bit :lol

The clothes and portraits on HT figures look in sync to me. BR Joker's head doesn't look out of place on the V1 figure, it looks like a figure head on a figure body.

the BR head and the ver1 clothing are nowhere near in the same league in quality. not even remotely in the same universe:
joker-ledger.jpg
review_htdkbats_17.jpg

Last edited:
Of course he looks like a doll, that is what these are, 1/6 scale dolls. If you are wanting them to be something else, you are looking in the wrong direction.

Ok, posting a comparison of the movie costume to the v1 costume doesn't change that the BR figure head looks like a figure head with the v1 clothes.

The BR head as a nice realism in the skin texture and some of the paint, but some aspects of the paint and certainly the hair still very much look like a palstic toy head, and the clothes are as nice as any other 1/6 figure outfit. They're not correct to the costume on screen, but their production quality is nice.

I don't know why everyone hates the v1 head. To me, it has a better likeness than the smiling BR head.

I'm not seeing eye to eye with you on this but to each his own,right? :D :duff

my glass to yours as well.

I've never been bothered by the V1 or BR clothing. I think both came out great for 1/6 figures. I guess from following discussions that there are issues, but honestly if it was never pointed out I would not have noticed.

But, even "seeing" them hasn't bothered me a bit :lol

the BR clothing i can stand. at least it looks tailor-fitted for the figure. the ver1 clothing is just messy and look amateurishly done.

Ok, posting a comparison of the movie costume to the v1 costume doesn't change that the BR figure head looks like a figure head with the v1 clothes.

The BR head as a nice realism in the skin texture and some of the paint, but some aspects of the paint and certainly the hair still very much look like a palstic toy head, and the clothes are as nice as any other 1/6 figure outfit. They're not correct to the costume on screen, but their production quality is nice.

i have to disagree. it looks subpar to me. but my glass to yours as well.

Of course he looks like a doll, that is what these are, 1/6 scale dolls. If you are wanting them to be something else, you are looking in the wrong direction.

you can say that for every crappy 1/6 figure ever made then. perfect excuse for subpar quality.

Well for the sake of saving money, I think what HT ususally chooses for eyes on their figures is on average ideal for the characters. Some folks will have a preference for something else, but financially, better to make figures cheaper for the majority and let the minority get repaints done. Some characters I'd enjoy the eyes looking in different directions, others, the stock pose is fine. Dutch is a great example, I think his eyes are done in a perfect way and don't find myself thinking about posing them. Joker and Jack Sparrow are characters where the ability to pose the eyes is enticing.

Definitely agree that what they usually choose is fine. Having the eyes is a bonus I'm sure 85% of us won't really play with much. Just find a position we like and it's happy-shelf-life-ever-after for that figure. Still a nice bonus :)

I'd like to see this technology become standard as soon as possible though. Hot Toys has been a company that has managed to up quality and keep prices around the same over the last couple years. I don't think it's a stretch at all to think this can be implemented in regular releases in a years time without a price increase. Looking at the price point of the Joker DX and another regular release, the difference split over the bonuses you get with DX is encouraging.

If the cost of a figure with poseable eyes is barely more than one without, I'd definitely be for implementing it on all figures. I'm about lots of figures and saving a little cutting back on some things, which is why if it is a big price difference, I'm for implementing it for characters where it's a real benefit.

my glass to yours as well.

the BR clothing i can stand. at least it looks tailor-fitted for the figure. the ver1 clothing is just messy and look amateurishly done.

I can sort of see what cr is talking about:

3108450863_9be40e4859_o.jpg

JokeRedo005.jpg

The shirt looks really fake, as does the tie. But these are customized sculpts. With the factory paint on the Bank Robber, and its plastic hair, I don't think it sticks out like a sore thumb as much as these glaring examples.

wow. that first pic is just uncanny. for a few seconds there i have to convince myself that is just a 1/6 'doll'.

look at the quality of that sculpt, and now look again at this clothing below:
review_htdkbats_17.jpg

even the hugely conspicuous seams on the jacket is a disservice to that sculpt.

Last edited:
I don't know why everyone hates the v1 head. To me, it has a better likeness than the smiling BR head.

The V1 looks nothing like Ledger to me, the sculpt just doesn't work at all. I had it displayed on the shelf next to the TDK Begins Batman and it always looks bad to me. Especially when you compare it to the 2 for the BR, or how good the Dent and Batman sculpts turned out.

its fair enough for her (yulli)to say that she didnt have enough reference for v1 joker but there will be NO EXCUSE if they release DX predator,dutch,endos etc in a years time cos those films have been around for years! so the 1st versions of those SHOULD BE THE BEST with no need for DX versions of them!

Back