Hot Toys MMS DX; your thoughts?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I'm lazy cause I don't wanna look through all these pages but how do the eyes move exactly? I don't get how you could move them. :dunno

It's not known for sure, but one method out there which looks likely to be the case for HT is that there's a small hole in the pupil that you stick a pin into and move them.

What has me curious is how they're connected so when you move one the other goes with it, and how breakable is this.

It's not known for sure, but one method out there which looks likely to be the case for HT is that there's a small hole in the pupil that you stick a pin into and move them.

What has me curious is how they're connected so when you move one the other goes with it, and how breakable is this.

sounds like a smart method. But yeah those are good questions,how breakable is it and can you make him cross eyed if you wanted or does one eye follow the way of the other one.....hmmmm

sounds like a smart method. But yeah those are good questions,how breakable is it and can you make him cross eyed if you wanted or does one eye follow the way of the other one.....hmmmm

They've already stated the way it's setup, the eyes move together, that's what the Parallel part of the eye style means, they move in sync so he never looks cross eyed.

I believe in doing the best job possible as far as is necessary. Joker is a character that benefits from having the movable eyes so it's right to push him that far, Dutch and characters like that, it's not needed.

Part of me feels like you're overselling the technology with that example. Sure, the eyes were a huge part of the Joker, but movable eyes doesn't cover acting nuances like eye lids, and expressions, things that when combined with eye movements really defined character. Some of the Joker DX pictures look too wide eyed and goofy, where the eyes are posed. So I'm not sold as far as movable eyes being on the same level as an eye repaint from Les or DA Josh. And therefore I think it's safe to say any release would benefit from the technology just as much as the joker, or jack sparrow.

Personally, I think it's just a matter of time before movable eyes becomes a previous generation innovation and thus will be seen on regular releases. Perhaps even in just a years time from now. It's up to Hot Toys to keep things fresh with DX, so when movable eyes becomes standard, some other innovation becomes DX exclusive.

Part of me feels like you're overselling the technology with that example. Sure, the eyes were a huge part of the Joker, but movable eyes doesn't cover acting nuances like eye lids, and expressions, things that when combined with eye movements really defined character. Some of the Joker DX pictures look too wide eyed and goofy, where the eyes are posed. So I'm not sold as far as movable eyes being on the same level as an eye repaint from Les or DA Josh. And therefore I think it's safe to say any release would benefit from the technology just as much as the joker, or jack sparrow.

Well for the sake of saving money, I think what HT ususally chooses for eyes on their figures is on average ideal for the characters. Some folks will have a preference for something else, but financially, better to make figures cheaper for the majority and let the minority get repaints done. Some characters I'd enjoy the eyes looking in different directions, others, the stock pose is fine. Dutch is a great example, I think his eyes are done in a perfect way and don't find myself thinking about posing them. Joker and Jack Sparrow are characters where the ability to pose the eyes is enticing.

no pin sticking necessary. here's the enterbay's model. pop open the top part(magnets are used for both parts to stick) of the head, and you'll see this:

DSC06187.JPG

agreed. personally, i think the moving eyes is just unnecessary gimmick. would rather they spend the time to do innovation in 1/6 clothing. most of the time they just look like doll clothing. joker ver1's is the perfect example. and that's the only reason i still can't bring myself to get the DX.

no pin sticking necessary. here's the enterbay's model. pop open the top part(magnets are used for both parts to stick) of the head, and you'll see this:

DSC06187.JPG

That's another way to do them, but I don't believe that's how HT's doing it. The only spot that looks like the hair isn't part of the head is the front bags, which are separate on all HT Jokers except slicked back BR head.

i dont see how else they can do this. there will be no poking needles. the hair will be removable.

Do any of you think there should be two pairs of eyes? One regular 'naked' pair, and one with eyelids painted on the top. That way, you can have him looking downward without the bug eyed stare.

I didn't know eb already did this eye technique. ht stole it right out from under them :lol hey they gotta keep up and are better than eb imo.

Possibly through the hollowed out neck with a jointed lever system? Would be a huge chore to pop off the head though every time you want to pose the eyes. Having a little pin to position them seems ideal.

Do any of you think there should be two pairs of eyes? One regular 'naked' pair, and one with eyelids painted on the top. That way, you can have him looking downward without the bug eyed stare.

screw the eyes. they are waay too small to register anyway, making the translucent iris a completely unnecessary upgrade. how about first making the jaket look 'real'! it's such an glarring distraction everytime i look at it. even ken's clothing (yeah, ken as in barbie's playmate) look less dolly sometimes.

I find inaccurracies with the coats, but I don't get how they look any more toylike than any other 1/6 clothing.

Back