Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can safely say I'm not getting 3A Ray or Rex, ever.

I'll stick to kotobukiya. I'd rather have the smaller scale

My painting skill is very limited to 1/6 accessories. If I attempted Koto REX or RAY it would look like a chicken with palsy did it.

Yeah I've been doing some lately and kinda think REX would be an good paint. It's not human so it's a good one to do to get better at

I would be too obsessive-compulsive with getting the came pattern exact, I don't need that headache.

The black Koto REX looks pretty neat.

Yeah the pattern is what will kill me, I'm very OCD about **** like that but it aids me instead of pisses me off.

I'll sit and do it until it's just right and I'll be so into it, so it's a good thing for me. I know it's a double edged sword but gladly I'm on the better side

I'll just use lots of masking tape

I know it's a tall order to ask of Square Enix considering they have been putting out ugly figures of MGS for the last year or so. But I'd like them to do another mech line of MGS with all the main story line mechs.

They'd charge $100 plus for those tiny mech figures :lol. I'd still like a Marines version of RAY, though - it's like the forgotten bastard mech of MGS.

yeah i was trying to do some research on the black rex. it looks desperado. i cant find a single reference to it. im still getting one. if i want to paint it i will but i think i want the diversity in my collection. im happy this and ray are going to be a build and pose operation. i cant wait to see if theres an updated box art.

yeah i was trying to do some research on the black rex. it looks desperado. i cant find a single reference to it. im still getting one. if i want to paint it i will but i think i want the diversity in my collection. im happy this and ray are going to be a build and pose operation. i cant wait to see if theres an updated box art.

I think I might get one, too. The black looks unique in an odd sort of way.

well, imo rex can be any color really, if were not talking about game accuracy. he was going to be mass produced and sold, so any military company using one would put their own branding on him. i was very happy to see the koto display booth with all the different variations of paints they had him in. this to me is a hommage to rising with the zandatsu iconing and the color scheme. i dont think its a black sheep at all.

well, imo rex can be any color really, if were not talking about game accuracy. he was going to be mass produced and sold, so any military company using one would put their own branding on him. i was very happy to see the koto display booth with all the different variations of paints they had him in. this to me is a hommage to rising with the zandatsu iconing and the color scheme. i dont think its a black sheep at all.

Now that you mention Rising, it's kind of odd that a REX variant didn't make it into the game. Technically, the REX prototypes were being perpetuated around the globe when Ocelot leaked the schematics after the events of Shadow Moses.

So, yeah, I think if Desperado was going to use a REX prototype of some kind, it would have been black with insignias all around it just like the new Koto kit. Good call on that one, Jason.

Not trying to keep the argument going, but like I said before to Solidus, I get what he’s saying, playing a game and growing with a game can definitely have a different affect on how one views or feels about it. But on the other hand if you didn’t, and you play these games later, less of your opinion is based on bias.

If Kiefer was Snake in 98 and just got replaced by Hayter most of us would be upset, and give reasons why Kiefer was better.

Both ways of playing the game really have their perks.

Not trying to keep the argument going, but like I said before to Solidus, I get what he’s saying, playing a game and growing with a game can definitely have a different affect on how one views or feels about it. But on the other hand if you didn’t, and you play these games later, less of your opinion is based on bias.

If Kiefer was Snake in 98 and just got replaced by Hayter most of us would be upset, and give reasons why Kiefer was better.

Both ways of playing the game really have their perks.

It probably would have been that way if that was the case. But, yeah, this series has a special place in the hearts of fans who have been following these games on the journey of their releases. There is a deep sense of emotional attachment and bias (one way or another) that someone won't be able to truly understand if they missed out on those years.

I still remember all the hype from MGS 4 back in 2008 :lol. I deplore the storyline now that I look at it, but its release was the most memorable time that I can recall for this series. I remember waiting in line to get my game signed by Kojima, and some people were so depressed thinking that Solid Snake was going to die, and one girl actually started crying :lol. That's the type of attachment to a character that you can't understand, if you only started the series several years ago.

In a similar manner, many of the fans are strongly in support for David Hayter, because not only did he provid the voice for Snake, but also because he was on this journey with us for a few decades into the series. And with that said, it was like a slap in the face (or a giant kick to the bawzz) to see him get the boot like that - and in a very disrespectful way, to say the least.

But, regardless of how I feel about Hayter, I just don't think that Kiefer is a right fit for Big Boss. I know his voice so well, and it's going to be impossible for me to play MGS V without getting vibes from 24.

Last edited:
It probably would have been that way if that was the case. But, yeah, this series has a special place in the hearts of fans who have been following these games on the journey of their releases. There is a deep sense of emotional attachment and bias (one way or another) that someone won't be able to truly understand if they missed out on those years.

I still remember all the hype from MGS 4 back in 2008 :lol. I deplore the storyline now that I look at it, but it's release was the most memorable times that I can recall for this series. I remember waiting in line to get my game signed by Kojima, and some people were so depressed thinking that Solid Snake was going to die, and one girl actually started crying :lol. That's the type of attachment to a character that you can't understand, if you only started the series several years ago.

In a similar manner, many of the fans are strongly in support for David Hayter, because he not only provided the voice for Snake, but also because he was on this journey with us for a few decades into the series. And with that said, it was like a slap in the face (or a giant kick to the bawzz) to see him get the boot like that.

But, regardless of how I feel about Hayter, I just don't think that Kiefer is a right fit for Big Boss. I know his voice so well, and it's going to be impossible for me to play MGS V without getting vibes from 24.

Yup, there it is, the emotional attachment some newer fans can't really get from playing the game so late. 2 different appreciations come from when you play it, both pretty valuable to how you view the game so I don't really think anyone is losing whenever they decided to get into the franchise.

Back