Painting SSC 1/6 hands

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been working on a Boba Fett custom for a few years, I'm using the Mythos hands, and they need to be repainted.

I have yet to have consistent, reproducible success in getting the paint to dry. The last attempt went like this -

1. Sand the majority of the paint off with 400 grit.
2. Wash in dish soap with tooth brush.
3. Mist primer with Tamiya rattle can 3-4 coats with at least a few hours dry time between. Usually overnight.
4. Brush paint with thinned Vallejo and Citadel acrylics. Usually leaving 24 or more hours dry time between coats.
5. 1-2 weeks dry time after final coat.
6. Two rounds of mist coats same as primer, with Tamiya semigloss rattle can with a wet coat at the end of each round. 1-2 weeks dry time between wet coat and next round.
7. Tape off parts that will remain semigloss and repeat mist coats with Tamiya flat rattle can.

For the first couple months I have a nice finish. Somewhere around three months, four hands were like a syrup gloss and just as sticky. Five were tacky enough that a good nudge would scrape paint off. Last four are usable, but the paint is pretty soft.

The goofy outlier is that i tested this process on one hand I didn't intend on using, and that hand has none of these issues. Solid finish, no tackiness.

A year or so prior I had done a round of these Mythos hands, didn't sand them, didn't go as slow with the primer and used Vallejo brush on clear coat and the result was soft and tacky enough that they've started to draw dust.

I'd be gracious for any advice anyone can provide. This soft SSC plastic used for the hands is driving me bonkers.

Back