The Dark Knight Rises *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This movie was a complete fail from top to bottom. It's exactly what happens when the hypemachine forces a great director to hurry up and put out a product. I'm sorry that Nolan Batman fans can't admit that to themselves. But this film will not age well, so eventually they'll figure it out.

Just one of many:
https://sequart.org/magazine/13903/why-the-dark-knight-rises-fails/

really good article.

I specially loved this:
3b. The Dark Knight Rises Invalidates The Dark Knight

Maybe that’s an artistic choice, however poorly executed. But the choice to have Batman retired in Rises, retroactive to the end of the previous film, also invalidates the incredibly moving ending of The Dark Knight.

There, Gordon famously narrates “we’ll hunt him… because he can take it.” The idea isn’t that Batman’s retiring. It’s that he’s sacrificed his reputation for a greater good. Even early in the film, we see how Batman’s heroic status has led to copycats getting themselves killed. What Gotham needs is reformers like Harvey Dent, not more vigilantes. And Gotham’s exotic hero has inspired the Joker to become Gotham’s equally exotic villain. For Batman to work, he’s got to be on the outs with the police – a “dark knight” who inspires “white knights” like Harvey Dent, before his corruption.

It’s a brilliant realization. While it’s unconventional for Batman, it’s inarguable based on the evidence in the film itself. It’s shocking and radical, but it follows directly and inevitably.

Don’t forget that the movie’s called The Dark Knight. That’s not an idle choice. So when that film’s title finally comes on screen at the end, the title echoing Gordon’s narration as Batman speeds off, it feels like a punch to the gut. Sure, the Joker’s machinations involve some major plot holes, despite being thoroughly entertaining, and the film’s got flaws. But it’s all forgivable, because the movie’s ultimately a meditation on what it means to be a hero – and how, for Batman to have the effect he intends, he’s got to be a “dark knight” at odds with the law.

Which he never actually became, except by reputation, if he’s retiring when we see him speeding off.

If that’s true, when did the police “hunt him… because he can take it?”

Rather than take the heat of being hated, Batman quit. After a career of about a year.

This kind of ruins the brilliant ending of The Dark Knight – which isn’t only what that entire movie’s been leading up to, but what that film’s title is all about.

It’s almost like Christopher Nolan didn’t understand The Dark Knight at all. Or more likely, he simply chose to ignore the meaning of his previous film. He wanted to tell a story of a retired Batman, and it was simpler to say Batman had retired at the end of The Dark Knight than imply he had a few adventures in which he battled cops before retiring. After all, the audience might like to see that, and it’s harder to explain. So to streamline the third film’s story, Batman’s now retiring when he speeds off at the end of The Dark Knight.

This decision makes sense, if all one cares about is The Dark Knight Rises. But it kind of invalidates the entire meaning of The Dark Knight.

And that's because the people who dislike it a lot of the time go about expressing that dislike as some sort of objective fact, and accuse the people who love it of being blind to its flaws, and in this latest case, of not being 'real' Batman fans.

Which is of course a load of crap.

It's fans are more of the problem than the naysayers most of the time

And that's because the people who dislike it a lot of the time go about expressing that dislike as some sort of objective fact, and accuse the people who love it of being blind to its flaws, and in this latest case, of not being 'real' Batman fans.

And those who unabashedly loved it and think it's flawless claim that those who don't "hate movies."

This movie was a complete fail from top to bottom. It's exactly what happens when the hypemachine forces a great director to hurry up and put out a product. I'm sorry that Nolan Batman fans can't admit that to themselves. But this film will not age well, so eventually they'll figure it out.

Just one of many:
https://sequart.org/magazine/13903/why-the-dark-knight-rises-fails/

For yew.

I know what I love. And I love TDKR. I've never changed my mind about any music/art/film i've loved, and it won't start now.

It's fans are more of the problem than the naysayers most of the time

Completely disagree.

For yew.

I know what I love. And I love TDKR. I've never changed my mind about any music/art/film i've loved, and it won't start now.

Completely disagree.

I loved Killer Klowns from outer Space but I am not going to preach to people about how "perfect" the movie is. I know the movie is silly and dumb, and I love it.

See if you love Rises that's fine, but What i really hate about everyone on the internet is that people keep saying how it is a masterpiece and how it is number 1 of best movies of 2012, How that guy that gave it a negative review got death threats, I mean seriously? I remember laughing at the death threats the guy got but it shows you how retarded nolancom****s are (im not saying here, Im talking about everyhwere else)

Just because someone loves a particular movie doesn't mean that movie is flawless, which is what Nolan fans get wrong.
Is just like Avengers, some fans cry that is the best movie ever made when it isn't. The difference is that Avengers is a lot more entertaining, and was true to the characters. This wasn't.

:lol

So wait the guy has a problem with the film because he thinks it contradicts the end of TDK and then provides his argument in which he contradicts himself? Why am I not surprised in who posted support for this.

Is the same thing I had a problem with, the whole 8 year gap, which makes no sense. I haven't finish reading the entire article but I have said it at least 5 times now. The 8 year gap makes no sense and ruined what could have been a great movie.

I said this before, We should have seen a Batman fighting crime while having the cops after him. Nolan robbed us of that, he robbed us of what Gordon was saying at the end of Dark Knight, and instead made a martyr out of Batman.
I don't even care that Bruce quit at the end, I don't care that he had a happy ending with Catwoman, But batman quit twice in this movie, at the beginning and at the end.
ONE TIME was enough, ONCE, Quit ONCE, Why have Bruce quit Batman twice? that is ****ing stupid.

Last edited:
Bro what are you talking about? Who the hell talking about which movie is better? Can you even read? Fans raped Transformers to pieces. General movie guys loved it. It was crap but still. Same situation is with Rises. Fans raped to pieces, general movie guys, who have not much idea about Batman loved it. Who said TDKR was crap? I don't mate. But it was weak for me, especially as a Batman movie. The Dark Knight Returns comic adaptation or Under the Red Hood is 10 times better than Rises to be honest. But, especially Returns is from the greatest Batman comics of all time so.

Probally the worst art i have ever seen in a Batman story ever but,the story meh..was alright.

Is the same thing I had a problem with, the whole 8 year gap, which makes no sense. I haven't finish reading the entire article but I have said it at least 5 times now. The 8 year gap makes no sense and ruined what could have been a great movie.

I said this before, We should have seen a Batman fighting crime while having the cops after him. Nolan robbed us of that, he robbed us of what Gordon was saying at the end of Dark Knight, and instead made a martyr out of Batman.
I don't even care that Bruce quit at the end, I don't care that he had a happy ending with Catwoman, But batman quit twice in this movie, at the beginning and at the end.
ONE TIME was enough, ONCE, Quit ONCE, Why have Bruce quit Batman twice? that is ****ing stupid.

He very literally did not rob anyone of anything and it doesn't even teeter on contradictory to the ending of TDK.

For yew.

That's fine Void, I'm not arguing that the movie shouldn't be enjoyed. To each his own. The problem is you can't try and sell this film as intelligently made, in fact it's quite insulting to Batman Comic fans and even Nolan's flock who's thumbprint is the thinking man's director.

He very literally did not rob anyone of anything and it doesn't even teeter on contradictory to the ending of TDK.

The way I see it, the second half of Rises was good. I will admit that. I will admit that much. Bruce in the pit was fine, the final fight was great.

It is the first half that I hate with all my guts. The first half is what ruins this for me. Everything before the fight with Bane sucks (except for Bane or the BAT) We sould have gotten a Batman that was active and at the same time evading the cops, the FBI maybe.

I think it's intelligent the same way the first two were

Is it flawless? No.
Is the script sloppy in parts? Yes.

It's my favourite Batman film, my favourite film of 2012 and easily one of my favourite films of all time.

I think Inception, Memento, TDK and BB are each 'better' films by Nolan in the technical sense. But TDKR is my favourite because of the emotions I feel when I watch it and how it connects with me

That will never change

I think it's intelligent the same way the first two were

Is it flawless? No.
Is the script sloppy in parts? Yes.

It's my favourite Batman film, my favourite film of 2012 and easily one of my favourite films of all time.

I think Inception, Memento, TDK and BB are each 'better' films by Nolan in the technical sense. But TDKR is my favourite because of the emotions I feel when I watch it and how it connects with me

That will never change

:exactly::exactly::exactly::goodpost:

Hans Zimmer has been on a role since his composition for Inception, no other mainstream composer can even come close to his masterful work in this day and age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back