The Substance

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, just got back from this and it's... an experience... :lol
With all the (apparently) gratuitous butt shots, you'd think this was a typical male director trying to disguise his sexploitation fantasies as high art, but it's a woman director, so...
The nudity is ok, nothing explicit or offensive (well, the third act does have some pretty grotesque bits :lol) and is very natural in the context of the movie. The gore isn't too over the top either, but the gross-out factor is Troma level absurd.
As EVILFACE noted, you know exactly where the story is going, but it does out-do any expectations in the third act. Personally, I couldn't quite get into the satire of it, I thought the movie was doing fine with its more serious tone in the first two acts. It went too far into outright demented mode towards the end, and IMHO suffered for it.
Moore and Qualley are both great in their roles, and Dennis Quaid goes all out Nicolas Cage in this. Actually, they should've cast Cage, he would have relished the role...
Cinematography and production design are awesome as well.
So yeah, despite not really being on board with the last act, I really liked this movie, it's a no holds barred look at celebrity, beauty and age.
they used a body double for all those butt shots

I thought this was pretty freaking awesome, there’s a lot going on about the human condition and it’s completely gonzo in all the best ways.

Back