1/4 Scale or 1/6 scale collect both or one

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinball2883

Freakzoid
Reaction score
I am a newbie so far with just 1/4 scale sideshow. I am not sure if i am interested in 1/6 scale. But there are definitely more 1/6 scale in some categories. (star wars, Iron man). I am not sure i like the stands you have to but under them to keep them from falling down. How is there detail vs 1/4 scale. I have never seen a 1/6 scale in person out of its box aka newbie. I heard sideshow is losing Star Wars in 2015. Does that mean no more 1/4 scale?

Sideshow is not losing Star Wars in 2015. :lecture

Everything else you've mentioned is, basically, a personal choice. If you're not certain about sixth scale, then it may not be for you. Statues are easy. Pull them out of the box, put them on the shelf, and you're done. But sixth scale takes effort. No figure comes out of the box perfectly. Each one requires, to one extent or another, finesse. Each collector has to decide for himself how much of an effort to put into bringing a figure to life. Some are more successful at it than others. A few even consider it an art form. Your own ability at hitting the perfect pose might just make or break your appreciation of the format.

As a seasoned collector of both formats, I can tell you that each has its own appeal to me. Like you, I wasn't entirely certain about sixth scale. Then I bought a couple, and I liked the poses that I was able to hit with them. The format stuck with me. But it may not have the same effect on you.

If there's a way for you to experience the format in person before diving in, then do so. Visit a collector friend, go to a shop or a convention. Having some hands-on experience with the format might help you to make a better-informed decision.

I am a newbie so far with just 1/4 scale sideshow. I am not sure if i am interested in 1/6 scale. But there are definitely more 1/6 scale in some categories. (star wars, Iron man). I am not sure i like the stands you have to but under them to keep them from falling down. How is there detail vs 1/4 scale. I have never seen a 1/6 scale in person out of its box aka newbie. I heard sideshow is losing Star Wars in 2015. Does that mean no more 1/4 scale?

I can chime in thru personal experience; I started late 2012 I knew vaguly what hot toys was, I was always drawn to the mark 3, thought of it as a musemum quality action figure, also didnt' know at the time how hard they were to get, once they are gone they are gone, its not like going to walmart and picking up a gi-joe here and there, So I went to a local comic con and came out with the usualy 6" action figures that I accustomed myself with buying and finally went for 1/6 with my first 1/6 hot toys Iron man Mark 2 and a cobra viper from sideshow. First impressions were like WHAT?, WHOA!, Get outta here!@!, the level of detail that 1/6 brings is truly amazing to at least me.
As far as statues go and even 1/4 figures I was always off put becuae of the size difference and that statues didnt' give that "level" of detail that I could find on a hot toys, its really fun investigating a figure and finding out all the neat little "tricks" it does (wow this opens here, and look whats hiding under here, wow didn't know you could articulate it like this, ahh look they included 1/6 pencil so cool, you get these little "WOW" moments, which are ruined if you watch reviews, always found it more fun if you like a figure buy it and explore it first hand rather than watching a video of a guy playing with your toy. Leave the reviews to figures your on the fence about.

It wasn't until dec013 that I got my first premium format (deadpool), I really like PF's because of the mixed media, it helped bridge the gap between 1/6 and statue collecting for me and I couldn't be happier, since then I collected 3 others and have a handful on pre-order (really like the DC pf's like WW and catwoman that are coming out). Personally I like the mix of sizes and different mediums to my collection it breaks it up and gives you something to look at different opposed to a line of 1/6 figures standing in a line (boring to me).

Pros of 1/6 over 1/4 statue collecting
* Sometimes cheaper
* smaller so you can display more
* if you get board with a pose just change it, I find myself just walking by a cabinet opening it up and changing a pose on a figure and its fun! With statue you can rotate it and dust it off, also switch out portraits and hands if it came with them.
* you can customize them with a WHOLE Bunch of 1/6 scale parts and theres a ton stores dedicated to selling you parts (sometimes sad that I would spend more on a 1/6 scale shirt than a 1:1 shirt for me, LoL)

Cons
* hey sometimes a company like hot toys and sideshow produce "cheaply" feeling figures and they are not cheap $$$
* the price difference is getting smaller and smaller and brings it back the previous issue, to me if the statue has that "WOW Detail" to it, just because its so fragile leaves me feeling I got my moneys worth, personal opinion here though.

I would says statues are more breakable, but I really don't know, I can say if your not careful with 1/6 you can damage them, paint chipping, plastic breaking.

Overall I think you should jump into 1/6, but research to make sure your getting a good quality figure, because if you get a bad one, and they do exists you might be missing out on some really cool collectibles, also if your interested in iron man, better decide quick because hot toys iron man sell faster than hot cakes ;)

-nick

In terms of detail some 1/6 scale companies ( Hot Toys, SSC) make them with an insane amount of detail.

Things you need to consider :

1- They will require posing.
2- Some need stands, some don't.
3- Some don't like the visible joints. And trust me if you collected statues only, this is something you need to decide on. Some are fine, some are definitely not. Check out Tonto from HT vs Joker for instance.
4- Head sculpts are usually better in sixth scale IMO.
5- Statues are more durable in the long term. A lot of Sixth Scale figures have been known to have issues as time progresses. Example Hot Toys aliens and ED209.
6- Value wise, the difference in price is shrinking with the recent changes. And unfortunately as mentioned above you are not always getting the quality to match.

Hope this helps.

I'm fairly new too. Sounds like you don't like the stands that come with 1/6 scale, but keep in mind those are just the figures, 1/6 statues won't have the stands. (not a fan of the stands either)

One thing I've realized I have to do is limit myself to a smaller group of collectables or go broke. I'm personally more drawn to cult/non-mainstream stuff so finding it all in only one scale is pretty much impossible. So I'm going for 1/6, 1/5, 1/4 statues and I'm even going 1/8 for anime stuff. If you only collect Marvel or DC etc, you'll probably find anything you want in 1/4 scale. But you can always mix it up as well, display your different scales on different shelves or rooms, or have multiple scales of the same character. Whatever floats your boat.

I made the jump and purchased Ironman Mk 42 Diecast man is it nice. i also got 2 Star wars clones i have not messed with them yet. But so far i am impressed.
Very addictive hobby i have 14 1/4 scale sideshow now only a month in.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE 1/4 scale and have tried many times to focus and quit 1/6 scale but I just can't! In 1/6th scale you can build dioramas and the figure environments are so awesome... jabba and his throne, with all of the accompanying characters, etc. 1/6th will always have more characters too. Some characters will just never be released in 1/4 scale but they are awesome to have in 1/6 scale. I love the impact of the larger 1/4 scale but the variety or 1/6th.

I say both. I love the variety of displays you can create with 1/6 scale, but some 1/4 statues are just too amazing to pass up. Both have their pros and cons, which have been provided here already, but it really comes down to personal preference, cost, and display space for me and the final factor is which character it is. I'll buy any scale Superman but I'm pickier when it comes to other characters because I may only want he/she/it represented by only one piece.

I say both. I love the variety of displays you can create with 1/6 scale, but some 1/4 statues are just too amazing to pass up. Both have their pros and cons, which have been provided here already, but it really comes down to personal preference, cost, and display space for me and the final factor is which character it is. I'll buy any scale Superman but I'm pickier when it comes to other characters because I may only want he/she/it represented by only one piece.

:goodpost: :exactly: :lecture

I'd say both have their merits, I have a fair selection of 1/4 scale and there is no denying the larger scale makes for a more impressive canvas when it comes to detailing. However, if push were to come to shove I would select 1/6th as my all time favourite, it's just a more manageable size for posing and displays IMHO!

Buy one of each and see which you like. Besides preference changes over time. One day u like statues, maybe in a yr you like 1:6. No right answers :)

Back