Avengers: Infinity War - (warning: Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR - (April 27, 2018)

If it's made by the same people making similar artistic choices, that have permeated this series of movies, it's a very good prediction, completely related to the makers and not to the "unwillingness to like stuff" of the "detractors".

That's like the fifth different excuse for this movie and one I hadn't seen before :lol

-you just don't like stuff
-you want it to be like the comics
-you hate Marvel
-you expect it to be Oscar worthy
-you're in a bad mood (my personal favorite so far) :rotfl

Oh no, it's the sixth one, I forgot "you think too much". it's a runner up :lol

Nice read, good to see some remain cool headed.

Just gotta see it on day 1 though?

I get some of the critique in here. Some. Most are just cray cray.

I think most would want this movie to end in like 20 minutes. With Thanos killing everyone. And ending the MCU as a whole LOL.

I would honestly like a draft on how this movie should have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:goodpost:

Well... I LOVED it.

To be able to orchestrate a semblance of a movie with all these characters and relationships... got to tip my hat to the Russos.

Movie wasted no time. Moved fast and kept the pedal to the metal. Definitely high on the re-watchability scale.

Best experience I've had from Marvel since the first Guardians of the Galaxy.

Highlights:

Doctor Strange was bad ass -- I never saw his standalone so wasn't sure what to expect.

Ebony Maw rules. Better than all other IW villains, even Thanos, sorry.

Despite Maw, Thanos was great. He is finally the great villain the MCU has needed for so long. Still don't like his casual-wear.

Loved when they almost "caught" Thanos, until you-know-who screwed up.

Well... I LOVED it.

To be able to orchestrate a semblance of a movie with all these characters and relationships... got to tip my hat to the Russos.

Movie wasted no time. Moved fast and kept the pedal to the metal. Definitely high on the re-watchability scale.

Highlights:

Doctor Strange was bad ass -- I never saw his standalone so wasn't sure what to expect.

Despite Maw, Thanos was great. He is finally the great villain the MCU has needed for so long. Still don't like his casual-wear.

I really liked all those points too. Besides all the obvious “problems,” they did a great job setting up the conclusion (avengers 4). I also really hope to see Ebony Maw in future movies. Who voice acted the black order? I never figured out who they were. Strange and Thor definitely seemed to be the strongest two of the movie.

they did a great job setting up the conclusion (avengers 4).

Unfortunately I think the way they fix all this is a big cheat.... the time stone.

It's Superman reverse-rotating the Earth all over again.

But as long as Thanos dies a terrible and grisly death, I can live with it.

I don't want to rain on the parade here, but count me among those who came away less than impressed. Here's my take, er, rant...

Just too. much. Reminded me of among other things, those last two Matrix movies-just bursting at the seams with over-the-top stunts and scenes that literally have no sense to them. Someone earlier mentioned the "Transformers" messy-action vibe...I got that too, only more so. What was with Stark, Rhodie and Spidey's suits? Sprouting out appendages and armaments from nowhere (where did it all fit in those suits ?!?) just because, well, it looked cool, didn't it? No- it looked ridiculous and slapped one out of the action.

No one really has time to register. Well-known (and fan-favorite) characters are reduced to glorified cameos or in BannerHulk's case, the butt of a long, lame joke. The only character who has any arc to really follow is Thanos- but having him surrounded by whacked-out derivative demon-cliche'd sidekicks who looked more like video game rejects than organic extensions of their environments just kept knocking me out of the movie. Also, his back story had a distracting similarity to an old Star Trek episode "Conscience of the King"-not a bad thing-more of an interesting imspration for the writers than anything.

Some of the effects were stunningly bad, like every scene featuring Banner in the Ironmonger suit. Just awful. There was no gravity in any of the scenes , dramatically or literally. Many looked flat and unfinshed-again, just another major distraction. Just a relentless stream of confusing set pieces culminating in an ending that anyone walking out of the movie has the common sense to realize
Spoiler Spoiler:
Where's the tension in that? Where's the emotional investment come in? It doesn't.

I'm also stunned that this is from the team that brought us CA:WS. Each successive work from them has become a whiteboard checklist affair, making sure a specific set of beats are hit along with everyone mimicking themselves from earlier, better movies.

There has been a lot of chatter in here about how awful DC movies are...and yes, Marvel has for the most part, had a better handle on making these movies work...but tonight as I watched IW, I couldn't help thinking about the Snyder movies and how sad it was that the WB brass didn't have the balls to just let him finish the slate of films he was working on. Justice League was hampered by Wheadon's studio-mandated push to make it like the Avengers, blunting it's edge and making it just a by-the-numbers affair that even the cast's charisma couldn't overcome. And that's exactly what I felt watching IW. Maybe the story was big enough for three movies, each with a focus on a smaller set of characters instead of everything at once. I like the Snyder DC films (I don't consider JL one) and I like many of the Marvel entries.

This one just got too big and ended up unfocused and sloppy as a result. It will be interesting to see if it ends up with legs or disappears quick. The full-house audience I saw it with this evening offered a few claps at the end, but mostly stunned silence.
We'll see how it plays out, but...a thumbs down from me.

Okay- ready for my roasting :)

Last edited:

effects were stunningly bad, like every scene featuring Banner in the Ironmonger suit. Just awful.

His head was laughable. In fact, I laughed out loud at the last shot when he was in the background.

Sorry to hear you didn't like it. I fully expected it to be a yawn for me too, like Civil War was. But I really liked this.

That’s a fair take, Jedi bear. There was a lot to hit on. But I’ve rationalized it to understanding this is only part of a bigger movie. For the budget of this movie, they had no reason to have such bad cgi with banner in the suit. That looked ‘stache-level bad. I will say, there’s going to be some permanence to some of the events in this movie. I think
Spoiler Spoiler:

That’s my theory anyways.

Well... I LOVED it.

Highlights:

I liked The Ebony Maw. I'd like to see more of him. I didn't mind that they changed his powers. I could easily see him as a villain in a Dr Strange sequel, if they make one.

I liked The Ebony Maw. I'd like to see more of him. I didn't mind that they changed his powers. I could easily see him as a villain in a Dr Strange sequel, if they make one.

Totally hope for the same thing. I always liked Corvus the most (in comics) but Maw was so well done.

Corvus didn't have the same gravitas as Maw. His wife was better. They really dropped Corvus too quickly... but maybe he'll be back.

Personally, I much prefer Maw's design. He really carried things for the first 45 mins.

That’s a fair take, Jedi bear. There was a lot to hit on. But I’ve rationalized it to understanding this is only part of a bigger movie.

It felt like the first of three acts, the second and third of which will constitute the next film. I get the sense that this is supposed to be the point in the story where the villain has seemingly won and the heroes are down (which typically takes place near the middle/end), but something about this came across as so introductory. And it's probably because most of what's happened so far -- keep in mind we've already seen Thanos' big move -- is inconsequential.

A cleaner way to put it: that snap feels more like an inciting incident. It probably shouldn't, but that's how it registers. It was never about stopping him, it was about reversing what he was always going to do. That's the real conflict. We know they'll fix it, we just don't know exactly how and that's the only reason to tune in for the next one.

Unfortunately I think the way they fix all this is a big cheat.... the time stone.

It's Superman reverse-rotating the Earth all over again.

But as long as Thanos dies a terrible and grisly death, I can live with it.

Totally agree. Hell, once I seen Dr. Strange I knew that nothing was impossible to change now.

Eh, wasn't impressed. It was all either a fight scene or a set up to one. Barely any quiet character moments, so the big events didn't really register or have any impact. Even the great Captain America was just kind of there to deliver a couple lines and fight.
Was all just too much spectacle with very little in the way of sincerity, heart, or dramatic weight.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Eh, wasn't impressed. It was all either a fight scene or a set up to one. Barely any quiet character moments, so the big events didn't really register or have any impact. Even the great Captain America was just kind of there to deliver a couple lines and fight.
Was all just too much spectacle with very little in the way of sincerity, heart, or dramatic weight.

The previous 18 films were the build up. This film only has those things you want because of the establishment of the previous films. This film only worked because they laid the ground work. They didn’t have time to explain everything and introduce everyone. Just a mega comic cross over, they expect you to know everyone and what their connections are. This film is unprecedented in that regard. It is only able to stand alone because of the previous 18 films setting it up - just as this is setting up Dust in the Wind, or whatever they call Avengers 4.

Back