Big Chief Studios James Bond Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios Acquires James Bond License

POed and now the long long wait...

8083837.jpg

On the fence.

The only sensible place to be with this offering. I'm only getting Connery but what looks like a great sculpt has a poor paint job; the suit looks great but could always come out looking like Moriarty; the body will be floppy and/or broken; the customer service will be great apart from when it's terrible; same goes for the QC; we'll get it before Christmas 2017, or Christmas 2018; and everyone will love it or six people will love it but make more noise than everyone else put together.

Anyway, you were saying?

:huhPoed goldfinger, think he looks pretty awesome. Ssc oddjob will do for me. Price is definitely up there

WOW! Finally... I've been waiting for so many years... and now BCS is doing Bond and I'm 100% convinced they'll be doing Connery in jetpack... so once again I got to wait.

I couldn't wait - I asked the designer for a link and bought one last week. It arrived yesterday and it is AMAZING. Beautifully detailed to an extent any company would find hard to achieve and seems very strong. The designer's a very nice, humble guy too and deserves his success.

Is it printed at Shapeways? Then that's too bad, because the quality of their materials is abysmal and requires an insane amount of work to finish.

I couldn't wait - I asked the designer for a link and bought one last week. It arrived yesterday and it is AMAZING. Beautifully detailed to an extent any company would find hard to achieve and seems very strong. The designer's a very nice, humble guy too and deserves his success.

That's great to hear -- and CONGRATS!! :clap

Are you going to post pictures? The Shapeways site has the white against white, so a little hard to see.

But from what I saw, it looks like a lot of sanding. Is that the case? Or did you pay extra for the "polished" version?

That's great to hear -- and CONGRATS!! :clap

Are you going to post pictures? The Shapeways site has the white against white, so a little hard to see.

But from what I saw, it looks like a lot of sanding. Is that the case? Or did you pay extra for the "polished" version?

Thanks W-G, I will post pics just rushed off my feet at the moment. I didn't pay extra for the polished version because I wasn't sure that paint would adhere to it that well. Some of the detail has come out a little soft, and maybe someone with higher standards than me would pass on it - but hey, it's a 1/6 scale Thunderball Jet Pack!!!

A tip for anyone who's thinking of getting it - it was my first ever Shapeways order and I let it sit in my cart for a few days so they eventually offered me 25% off.

You can't make the strong/flexible smooth by sanding it unless you first seal it. Imagine that it's made of sand (or a small-pore sponge) - the more you sand, the more porous material you reveal. It's super porous, like with a large proportion of the volume being air. The material is always white and the various colors are applied to the surface. The "polished" is barely so at least on the stuff I've ordered. Since it's porous, it'll soak in paint, so it should be sealed and sanded first - multiple times. Some people have had good luck with various sealing putties, including a fine milliput.

Personally, I can't stand the stuff and think it's generally 10x more expensive than the quality would indicate. Ludicrous prices at Shapeways.

That's too bad. I did see one picture that gave me pause immediately.

Bond jetpack- 3Der Harry Peters + Wayne Faucher team 3-14-17  (2).jpg

Looks very rough here if this is what you receive. Certainly not what I would expect for $135+.

Damn. Big Chief sure love showing new teasers of the next wave. Way to capitalise on hype.

I can completely understand the excitement to know what's coming next in this line as I'd really love to know as well, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we don't see any new Bond figure announcements from BCS for some time. They may be waiting to see how the first three figures sell before announcing anything new, (even if they are already working on the next figures from this line). :)

Talisa Soto turns 50 today but looks 15-20 yrs younger......

Back