Boxed or Unboxed: That is the Question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you keep your figures boxed or unboxed?

• Total voters
Got it.

The Mattel stuff I can forgive, but seems like a shame to keep the DCD and especially the HT stuff boxed. :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

Got it.

The Mattel stuff I can forgive, but seems like a shame to keep the DCD and especially the HT stuff boxed. :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

LOL, ok, so with that lets spring board in to my 2nd point:

PRESENTATION! we've been checking out each other collection & both loose & MOC look good. & believe it or not I'll even play the devils advocate against myself & point out the "figures in action" thread over on TNI's DC board. Pooda & a few others over there have a serious talent for diaromas & play sets! Matter of fact many of there still shots/comic strips are very engaging. sometimes I'll get a 2liter of dew & pop some corn & just spend the day scrolling & reading the comics they make with their loose figs.

Nothing gets my mouth watering more than seeing those figs swing into action & kick ass. Plus the figs on display here!! that shot of DX bats on the cop car is the mother loving limit!!! :banana Now I've seen loose collection that look like utter crap. they end up in crushed dusty boxes that start to split at the sides, or in plastic bags thrown in dressers.

I have also seen loose collection that are kept in immaculate condition. But this is because the collector drops about $600.00 on sterolite stack drawers that slide in & out, & high grage zip lock baggies & plastic storage containers that go for about $15+ a pop.

Sorry but I'd rather use that money on toys.

Well, you present 2 extremes. I fall in between.

I think I have a great display of my figures and I take some pics here and there.

My boxed are neatly stacked in a dry basement storage room.

The only real reason for me to keep the boxes is that it makes the figures more valuable if I were eve going to sell them. That said, I can't foresee ever wanting to.

To be honest, I get so much enjoyment out of setting up and posing my figures that I feel I get my moneys worth out of them without thinking about future investment. This is what I think Boxed collectors are missing out on.

To me, this:

picture.php

looks so much cooler than a closed box on a shelf. :dunno

I have everything from the Star Wars 1/6 line and I open them all.

When I am at the shop collecting my stuff, I would flip open the flap and do a visual inspection of the figure inside and am not concern about the condition of the box.

I luv to play with my toys.:love

Keeping things in boxes is really pointless in this hobby. I used to do this when back when I was collecting action figures and after many years when I started getting into 1/6 figures, I felt I ruined all the fun of collecting cause I didnt really get to appreciate them since they were in their boxes and stored. And since I sorta outgrew them, I ended up giving them away to friends to were still collecting action figures. Felt like they would appreciate it more than I would.

I think the whole fun in this hobby is the joy of unboxing it and finally seeing the item in hand. Its like christmas everytme you get a new one. Then Presentation, finding that right pose and setting up the lights on the display. I'm an art major and been a comic book lover for years so I am in awe almost everyday when I pass by collections. Its like having a miniture wax museum at home.

All polystone is on display. But my entire Dead collection is MiB.

How would you like me to vote?

Hmm, good question...

My original post says:

...I am particularly interested in the question of whether you unbox your figures or keep them boxed.

I am primarily interested in this question with regard to pose-able collectibles.

Take the poll so we can see what the majority do. Then feel free to discuss the reasons for your preference. I think this could be a lively and interesting discussion!

So like I said, this is mostly about poseable figures. But you can vote however you like! :)

What are your reason for keeping poesable figures boxed? Could relate to choice 2 or 3.

If you strictly keep your poseable figures boxed with no intention of ever opening them, then I guess you would vote accordingly.

Hi Sam! :wave

I really love this pose. Might try that on my own joker.:joy

Well, you present 2 extremes. I fall in between.

I think I have a great display of my figures and I take some pics here and there.

My boxed are neatly stacked in a dry basement storage room.

The only real reason for me to keep the boxes is that it makes the figures more valuable if I were eve going to sell them. That said, I can't foresee ever wanting to.

To be honest, I get so much enjoyment out of setting up and posing my figures that I feel I get my moneys worth out of them without thinking about future investment. This is what I think Boxed collectors are missing out on.

To me, this:

picture.php

looks so much cooler than a closed box on a shelf. :dunno

:) Thanks guys!

Seriously. I've looked at mine like a hundred times and have never seen the sculpt look so good. Its gonna come to a point where it'll be hard to pick which one sculpt is your favorite, right now its that one. I'm sure my mind will change when Arnie arrives :D

Generally, I unbox everything for display. Once in awhile, I leave something boxed if I either don't have the room for it, or am unsure I want to keep it after getting it. I also usually keep spare bodies (Hot Toys Truetype, Triad Otaku, etc) boxed until I need them for a project.

I save boxes for everything (aside from spare bodies) in my garage just in case I do tire of something and want to sell it.

gotta unbox them and get your moneys worth! if i'm spending $100 or more on a figure or statue i'm going to unbox it and pose it how i want and where i want!

to me personally, it's pointless having them in the box! you can't enjoy them!

i don't care about resale value later one...i buy them for ME not to re-sell

gotta unbox them and get your moneys worth! if i'm spending $100 or more on a figure or statue i'm going to unbox it and pose it how i want and where i want!

to me personally, it's pointless having them in the box! you can't enjoy them!

i don't care about resale value later one...i buy them for ME not to re-sell

:exactly: here here

if you believe hoarding boxed figures is a solid investment strategy, then you need to sit down and seriously think about how your life turned out.

I Never not open 1/6.

I may not open smaller figures if I have duplicates, but other wise they come out of the plastic prison.

Some people have a huge sanctimonious stick up their rears. By all means say, "Personally I don't see the point in keeping figures boxed", because it suggests that it is a preference that others might not subscribe to - but to say "Keeping figures boxed is dumb" or the like is nothing less than dissing your fellow collectors. To each their own, surely.

Me, I unbox my figures - but I can see why a figure kept minty fresh in its box is something special too. It raises the significance of the figure beyond itself to becomes an archive of the past. Imagine finding granddad's toy collection from the 40s stored in the attic, every piece sealed in its original box, lovingly preserved for generations to come... I know I'd rip those suckers out of their boxes and play the hell outta them!

Back