Captain America 4 New World Order - May 3, 2024

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have never cared about the character and I find Anthony Mackie to be an awful actor. His “charisma” and “charm” feels so forced and unnatural.

Tell me about it!

Le_OvF.gif

So in the end reality laid out in black and white defines what is good and bad? Irony, man.... uhh... Iron Man! And back on topic!:banana:monkey1

:lol
Iron Man! That reminds me...who's side did you pick in Civil War?

Iron Man! That reminds me...who's side did you pick in Civil War?
Duh... Zemo of course! I mean there weren't any South Africans available like in Black Panther. I always love to embrace a good stereotype and...

Ohh, wait... you mean... off topic Civil War? :horror

Only Marvel property I am excited for is Deadpool and Wolverine and I do mean the ONLY.
I love the MCU but Endgame was the real end of it for me, I still like and watch the Holland Spidey films but they exist almost as their own thing in my head rather than a MCU thing - a spin-off rather than a continuation.
D&W is much the same.
This film or series [I genuinely forgot which this is] + Thunderbolts + whatever else just hasn't got my attention anymore and that is me speaking as a comic and movie nerd, so I doubt Joe Public feels much more enthusiastic than me.
For me its stuff like the Batman and the Joker 2 that have me REALLY excited, I love when the genre goes a little more daring and experimental.

I want to be excited for Gunn's DC stuff but I just have a feeling they are going to try and replicate the MCU formula but 10 years too late.
Honestly shared universes, multiverses and the like seem pretty played out - people just want good, self-contained, stories and performances with something a little different and refreshing once in a while.

Does anyone really care? Was anyone planning to see this? I mean, after a decade of these films, and now the splurge of TV shows, is there any excitement to seeing CA again...?

The MCU needs a vacation for at least 5-7 years. That means everywhere.
Nope. At this point, I only see select things. I'll watch Deadpool & Wolverine then nothing until Daredevil Reborn. I still haven't watched GotG 3 or the Marvels. If I hear blahhh, I likely won't even watch on Disney Minus.

Yeah, I stopped watching MCU stuff when Black Widow (white) came out, and haven't seen one since (excepts parts on TV from Strange Madness and Spiderman Bad Guys United). Everything I've seen since 2019 has been crap.

They'll never be able to have a movie masterplan that lasts a decade again. Never.

Have never cared about the character and I find Anthony Mackie to be an awful actor. His “charisma” and “charm” feels so forced and unnatural.

Mackie is like the dollar store version of Keanu Reeves. What makes Reeves work is lots of women find him really hot. Also he's a great physical actor. And he's easy to work with on set.

Mackie has a reputation of being a good guy to have on set. He's not a great dramatic actor but he knows he's not a great dramatic actor. He's a passable physical actor but he can help himself if he put in the work and blood to become a much better physical actor. One of the reasons that many wrestlers often translate well to acting ( Bautista, Cena, etc) is doing stuff like WWE is incredibly hard. You have to manage the expectations of a giant crowd often in isolation. It takes a tremendous amount of skill, timing, physicality, situational awareness, understanding how to use space, etc, etc to block out a complex wrestling routine. This is another reason why dancers, odd as it sounds, often translate well to some kind of combative sport.

The Russos optimized Mackie by keeping him moving. You'll notice when Falcon shows up, the pace goes up. We are literally introduced to him by his running with Steve Rogers. There aren't too many scenes where he's in a static situation. They restricted him to playing himself because he doesn't have much acting range. They tried to key in on his "everyman in a bad situation that keeps getting bigger" storyline.

IMHO Mackie is a useful actor, if he's put in a good situation. He cannot elevate bad material though. He is, however, part of the test case that it's always a good thing to be liked as a person in general, know your limits and understand how to play basic industry politics.

Part of good casting is understanding what kind of material you have and which performers can elevate it. Sam Rockwell can lift up anything you give him. It's kind of criminal that Justin Hammer has not returned in a big way yet. The MCU absolutely wasted Mads Mikkelson. That's borderline criminal that he wasn't given a different juicier part to play. Mikkelson can take something that sounds crazy and bring it back to reality. The real prize though is Florence Pugh. She is the tide that consistently lifts all other boats around her.

If you have a script that struggles, you need casting to create an offset for it. You can't pair Mackie with weaker pieces around him. It's a combination that won't work well. But, let's see how this film plays out, it might surprise people. Decent chance it won't, but Mackie is a relatively easy guy to root for now that he has his big chance.

Post Endgame I've only seen the two Spidey movies, Guardians 3 and Thor Love and Thunder (which was atrocious). I'll probably get around to watching the other movies and shows at some point, but I do feel my interest in the MCU is over now. I'll watch Deadpool and Wolverine and perhaps the Fantastic 4 film, but I don't think I'm too keen on watching a whole new Xmen reboot down the line.

I think once Steve Rogers was written out, they didn't need to continue on with Captain America. Just focus on other characters.
This movie will be a huge flop.

Post Endgame I've only seen the two Spidey movies, Guardians 3 and Thor Love and Thunder (which was atrocious). I'll probably get around to watching the other movies and shows at some point, but I do feel my interest in the MCU is over now. I'll watch Deadpool and Wolverine and perhaps the Fantastic 4 film, but I don't think I'm too keen on watching a whole new Xmen reboot down the line.

I think once Steve Rogers was written out, they didn't need to continue on with Captain America. Just focus on other characters.
Thor Love & Thunder was... an absolute joke. MCU is missing too much: RDJ, Evans, Chadwick and the Russo Bros.

How do they pick the audience for these test screenings? It makes me wonder if the process is reliable.

I haven’t seen anything in the theater post Endgame

Back