HBO's House of the Dragon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

I have really enjoyed this series so far, its not the fastest moving show of all time but its not meant to be. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to follow along with a story with 12 people with the same damn name if the story was moving at a faster pace.

I don't quite get the "boring" takes in here, there have been some pretty insane moments in every episode this season. Episode 3 has to be the best episode visually imo, the beginning aftermath of that battle, Daemon entering Harrenal in that almost horror-esque scene with heavy rainfall, dark hallways, and strange noises all about, and the wide shots of the sept in Kings Landing from afar, just so well done.

I have really enjoyed this series so far, its not the fastest moving show of all time but its not meant to be. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to follow along with a story with 12 people with the same damn name if the story was moving at a faster pace.

I don't quite get the "boring" takes in here, there have been some pretty insane moments in every episode this season. Episode 3 has to be the best episode visually imo, the beginning aftermath of that battle, Daemon entering Harrenal in that almost horror-esque scene with heavy rainfall, dark hallways, and strange noises all about, and the wide shots of the sept in Kings Landing from afar, just so well done.
Like I said -- atmosphere. The show has slowly begun to win me over by immersing me in the world. Daemon is an interesting anti-hero; I can't decide if he's completely insane, suicidal or just ridiculously brave. A little of everything I guess.

Like I said -- atmosphere. The show has slowly begun to win me over by immersing me in the world. Daemon is an interesting anti-hero; I can't decide if he's completely insane, suicidal or just ridiculously brave. A little of everything I guess.
He's the best character on the show. Hopefully we start to see more of him now.

There's not a lot of great characters in this show. Not to GoT level.

For me, the problem is too many sympathetic characters. Let's see some people like Cersei, who embrace their nastiness without apology.

For me, the problem is too many sympathetic characters. Let's see some people like Cersei, who embrace their nastiness without apology.
Ehh, it's not really Game of Thrones though. GOT had a side that you rooted for and a side that you rooted against. I don't think many people wanted the Lannisters to win.

HOTD is more grey area, both houses have their pros and cons and their justifications for what they do.

They may be set in the same world, but they're not trying to do the same thing really.

Agreed. But just saying, that's why I liked GoT more. Gray is complex and ... well, keeps you from rooting for anyone.
Fair enough but I'm really not much of a Hightower fan at this point. Alicent has been set up as the show's antagonist; she's no Cersei but best not try to mimic what came before. This show is swinging for the fences, I can respect that.

Fair enough but I'm really not much of a Hightower fan at this point. Alicent has been set up as the show's antagonist; she's no Cersei but best not try to mimic what came before. This show is swinging for the fences, I can respect that.

I think Chris makes a good point -- most of the characters in this are gray, and gray is boring. It may read as intellectually complex but it is boring.

For me, Daemon, Alicent, Aegon and Aemond are interesting. That's not enough characters to hold my interest, especially when Daemon and Aemond are so often held back.

I think Chris makes a good point -- most of the characters in this are gray, and gray is boring. It may read as intellectually complex but it is boring.

For me, Daemon, Alicent, Aegon and Aemond are interesting. That's not enough characters to hold my interest, especially when Daemon and Aemond are so often held back.

To be fair we’re only one season and a few episodes in. There were tons of characters not introduced into GoT by this point.

For example, we haven’t met Daeron yet but we’ve heard of him.

We don’t meet Ramsay until season 3. Stanis and Davos didn’t show up til S2. Greyworm, S3 etc.

Give it some time.

I personally havent had an ounce of sympathy for any charatcer, other than Luke, Jaeherys, and Helaena, all pure characters who barely deserve what has happened to them. Everyone else has commited heinous acts in one way or another. HOTD is meant to be a tragedy, its commentary on how toxic the in-universe world is.

Agreed on those characters. For me, they're enough for now. I actually wasn't a fan of this show in the beginning -- but it's been drawing me in.

What they got right immediately was a different tone. It feels less civilized, like a more violent (and that's saying something) and uncertain era than we saw in GoT, the way 'civilized' gatherings can turn suddenly violent and the casual brutality of characters like Crispin ... what doesn't work for me but I've set aside is the too-much-dragon business. I get that it's high fantasy but they lose their impact for me the same way that dozens of lightsabers in the SW prequels did.

I'm liking this season so far, even the slow episodes because they're atmospheric -- same reason I liked The Batman, it felt like I was immersed in some other world.

So I'm on the ride now but they really need to stick the landing.

But we had Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion, Daenerys, Jon, Samwell, Sansa, Arya, Rob, Eddard, Catelyn, Bran, the Hound, the Mountain, Drogo, Littlefinger, Jorah, Joffrey... I tired of typing
Yes, but this story is focused on one family not the seven kingdoms as a whole. You’re not getting that many characters because they’re not part of the Game.

Yes, but this story is focused on one family not the seven kingdoms as a whole. You’re not getting that many characters because they’re not part of the Game.

You can make as many characters as you want. I mean, this show has a lot of characters, but many of them are GoT lite -- like the cripple "Littlefinger" guy. All of the Driftmark players are a snooze. The GoT characters felt "lived-in" a lot more than these new ones.

I'm enjoying this season but it's definitely got some pacing issues. I feel like more should have unfolded by the third episode than what has transpired.

So far, it's kind of a grind but it's still entertaining enough.

Back