Hot Toys Back to the Future II - DeLorean - Mods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you @cdx008 your guide really helped a lot ! my first time to mess with electronics of Hot toys! and I did it! bypass done i guess now to read thru all the rest of other modifications i can do

Been meaning to sign up and post my findings in this thread but just have been busy. I started down that path a few weeks ago but I gave up on going all the way. I used the photos from the guy in the thread for the first Delorean to help me, but I can try to grab some better photos this weekend to post here.

The rear bumper is really easy to remove, easier than the front end. Behind the bumper are 2 more circuit boards, I think one for each mode, and they had empty ports so @MDLAV8R you could use it to get rid of the exterior wiring.

The exhaust vents are just clipped in with big tabs on each side, it feels a bit scary to just pop them off because they need a little force but they should come off without any problems. Underneath the vents are screws. There are also hidden screws along the backside of the rear wheel wells, they are covered by plastic tabs that you have to remove first. I think they pull up from bottom but I will need to check. The first one gave me a little trouble but the second one came out pretty easy, you will just need a really thin pry tool or maybe a good adhesive. After that I think there was just 2 screws on the underside of the bumper.

I don't recommend going any further. When you look inside you can see 2 screw posts, one is under the green tubes and one is under the silver and black things in front of the red capacitors. I was able to pop off the green tubes, they had some adhesive underneath to help hold them down so it wasn't easy. The other side was a total fight and it ended up with me breaking off the whole side of the silver platform, so that was the end of that for me. I was able to make a pretty solid repair so I am not too bummed about it. That's as as far as I got so after those 2 screws I have no idea what comes next.

I now have an Alexa-enabled Delorean. I managed to not screw up the vehicle, injure myself, or wind up with “extra” parts on the table when I put it back together again. As a bonus, there was minimal use of my always nearby box of expletives.

Ground Mode. Flight Mode. Flight Mode Only. Stealth Mode (off).
I removed me saying, “Alexa” to avoid aggravation and possibly activating these functions in your home.
View attachment 661499

Like it never happened:
View attachment 661494

Running a line to light up Mr. Fusion that will turn on in Flight Mode. I didn’t want to risk any more surgery so I am just running the wires along the existing wire harnesses until someone else comes up with a better idea. The section under the door doesn’t have any room so I will tuck my wires behind the insulation. I had to drill a very tiny hole under the hood while I had it apart.

View attachment 661495
There’s actually some space to the left in the wheel well where I can hide the wires with some black tape.
The paint that unintentionally acted as glue has some very minor damage. It looks 1000x worse on pic with flash. I didn’t even notice until I looked at the pic.

View attachment 661496
Holding up the wires but I think it will look fine once I secure them in place.

View attachment 661497
Looks like there’s an opening to run the wires through to get to Mr. Fusion. He’ll need a little cutting to fit the LED in. Maybe I’ll just mount the LED underneath and just cut a small opening to let the light bleed in from the bottom.
Any chance could get to see on the mod you did to Mr. fusion ?

Any chance could get to see on the mod you did to Mr. fusion ?
Here is my hack job. It’s ugly on the inside but I don’t ever look in there. Someone with skills and patience could do this right but it works for me. Doc Brown tossed garbage in there so I could probably find some 1/6 scale trash for added effect lol. I just drilled a hole in the base - I originally was going to mount the led below the surface but couldn’t get the angle right - and hot glued the led in just the right place to get the glow effect I wanted. Hot glue let me slide it around until it was just right. At first I drilled several small pilot holes in the bottom of Mr. Fusion up through the plastic window piece but that didn’t let in enough light so I just kept enlarging the hole until it worked right. I also tried putting a little LED inside the window but it didn’t diffuse and you could see the LED. I used red because that’s what I had laying around and it looked cool. Not sure what color (if any) was shown in the movies. Once you choose your method to light it up, make sure you move the light source around and test until you’re happy. In some positions the LED didn’t reflect at all inside and you could barely tell it was on.

Have fun!!!

IMG_5886.jpeg
IMG_5887.jpeg

Back