Hot Toys C-3PO (ROTJ)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was able to tinker with this guy today a bit. Put together an combined acrylic stand for both C3-PO and the original trilogy R2-D2, since C3-PO definitely needs support, given how tippy he is. Added a touch of white acrylic paint to the led to diffuse his eyes a bit. Then widened his neck just a little by wrapping some cardstock with gold foil sticker paper. It still needs a little weathering to match the body, but it's a really simply mod to fix his pin thin neck.

View attachment 711029

View attachment 711031

View attachment 711042
I love the simple yet genius mods!

Was able to tinker with this guy today a bit. Put together an combined acrylic stand for both C3-PO and the original trilogy R2-D2, since C3-PO definitely needs support, given how tippy he is. Added a touch of white acrylic paint to the led to diffuse his eyes a bit. Then widened his neck just a little by wrapping some cardstock with gold foil sticker paper. It still needs a little weathering to match the body, but it's a really simply mod to fix his pin thin neck.

View attachment 711029

View attachment 711031

View attachment 711042
Can you tell us specifically what you used to mod the neck and where we can find it in the wild?

Took some pics and messed around in photoshop for 3PO's first day on the job meeting his boss and coworkers.

Attachments

• C3PO1.jpg
    C3PO1.jpg
    516.7 KB · Views: 0
  • C3PO2.jpg
    C3PO2.jpg
    755.1 KB · Views: 0
  • C3PO3.jpg
    C3PO3.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 0
  • C3PO4.jpg
    C3PO4.jpg
    929.5 KB · Views: 0
  • C3PO5.jpg
    C3PO5.jpg
    850.2 KB · Views: 0
  • C3PO6.jpg
    C3PO6.jpg
    865.4 KB · Views: 0
  • C3PO7.jpg
    C3PO7.jpg
    841.5 KB · Views: 0
Looks totally awesome with those incredible custom figs but for some reason the slightly undersized HT 3PO head seems a bit more noticeable in those pics.

Received 3PO today, sorry for the quick cell phone pics. :chase

I've had the Tama for a number of years so my perspective is colored by that. If the Tama didn't exist I would be thrilled with this rendition of everyone's favorite protocol droid.

The HT figure is outstanding in a number of ways but as noted by others a bit of a miss when it comes to the head sculpt (which of course is a pretty key element to any figure). Seems like a clear improvement over the Sideshow, but I only had that figure very briefly.

Hoping HT revisits the sculpt along with the color in any next rendition. Weathering doesn't bother me too much but would prefer if it was toned down (the weathering spots seem a bit too heavy and too large) and would prefer the goldenrod to be a bit more gold and a bit less bronze overall.

Here's how I would rate the HT and Tama figures in order of importance, more or less.

Head shape/Eyes: Tama, head shape/neck seem more accurate and the eyes have more depth and look far more natural lit up (the HT was blinding when I installed the batteries initially, could barely see the face). Of course the Tama eyes need the blue color to be corrected.

Overall proportions: HT, the body shape, pistons, and feet all seem a bit more natural, in my mind's eye anyhow. Waist is also better as the Tama gets a bit too skinny in the belly section.

Articulation: Tama, has a bit more range, which could also be why the proportions aren't quite as nice.

Hands: Tama wins as the HT has a bit of a gap where they meet the wrist.

Belly wires: Tama (I admittedly like the real wires a bit more, though HT are extremely well done and probably more in scale).

Plan is to display the HT for a bit as my main 3PO and see if it changes my opinion in its favor but I'm thinking I'll keep both. If HT ever releases a Jabba, and I bite, it would be nice to have a dedicated 3PO.

755A0290-8F1B-42E8-9810-AF4FA9315E8D.jpeg
94561378-998F-4D82-B4E1-8C2E0F132178.jpeg
4A6D6DA3-720A-44D1-8084-8871047957AF.jpeg
63A2F477-AF25-40FE-A9E1-0CC33010D96D.jpeg

Back