How many "unopened" items do you have?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xipotec

Super Freak
Reaction score
I always try to spread out my purchases . This way I have a new item to open at least 1-2 times a year. After a buying spree (and some relatively quick releases) I have some figures I have yet to open.

Whats sitting in your closet waiting to be opened? how long has it been there?

Currently been sitting on Blitzway Hannibal Lecter for 3 years. I keep saying I'll open that in a dry spell, but also want to to Halloween time. His time is coming this month.

Also still have not opened my HT The Batman.....

HT Obi Vader got in the way.

Before that , Hannibal was blocked by a late Mandalorian buy, before that Wez and Immortan Joe got in the way.....

Not sure if it really counts for the sake of this thread as I open all my figures when I receive them to check for any QC issues, but I have a good handful of "new" figures that aren't displayed that I'll list here. I have "used" older figures that aren't displayed as well but I don't think those really count at all

InArt Gandalf

HT:
DX OWK Vader
Padme
CW Obiwan
MK3 Iron Man 2.0

3Z:
Cobra Commander
Destro
Firefly

BCS Bond (Goldfinger version)
HH Toys Legendary Greek Warrior (basically an Artisan Achilles)

Too many Transformers figures to post

Last edited:
Hot Toys Back to the Future 2 Marty

Probably should have sold it off years ago, considering that it's unlikely I'll ever display it.

Not 1/6 scale but there is a Masterpiece Grapple that I've also somehow never been motivated to open. I've also got some duplicate Super 7 Ultimates GI Joes that I couldn't resist picking up, and then I have a handful of vintage toys that I never plan to open. Probably some others I'm forgetting in the attic.

Whats sitting in your closet waiting to be opened? how long has it been there?

If I thought the stuff wouldn't be immediately resold or scalped or some other BS, I'd give away a third of my collection today. There's stuff I haven't touched in years and it's jammed away deep into a corner and just taking up space. Same with a decent number of boxes of movie props that I've picked up/were given to me over time. I'd love to shed a ton of it, but I already know some folks, not all, would immediately try to retrade it, sell it or scalp it.

I think part of the struggle is Ebay really used to be a low key online "garage sale/flea market" that was not very intrusive. It was fun and easy going to start. Sure it had it's problems because technology wasn't as advanced, but it's not like today. Now current Ebay is absolutely punitive to a small level occasional seller. I think that's slowed down the potential churn for the secondary market. Also there are fewer people trading versus selling as shipping prices have skyrocketed. Sort of the small level loose parts trade/sale in this hobby has kind of evaporated.

If I could go back in time, I'd spend less on physical items, and more on experiences. You can carry your experiences with you. Seeing a new place, trying a new kind of food, learning a new skill. But hunks of plastic can turn into clutter real fast. I am thankful and grateful to be able to collect ( some folks out there are struggling to just buy groceries for their kids, it's rough out there) and be part of this hobby. But there's a part of me that honestly does want out. Or mostly out.

( Of course my spending on this hobby in the last half year contradicts most of what I just said above in some ways. :lol When it comes to "plastic crack", we all might be totally hopeless...)

Not a single one for me. I don't think I've ever received a figure that I didn't open within 24 hours. Then again, I buy about 1-5 1:6 figures per year with an occasional 1:12 mixed in, so I always look forward to opening it as soon as possible.

The closest I've come to this is my InArt Gandalf, who I took out of the box, put into one pose with some slight futzing, and haven't touched since. I haven't even moved his eyes yet. I want to take my time restyling the hair, but I haven't found the motivation to do it yet since it will take me a few hours.

At this point my unopened items are figures I bought thinking I'd have room for, but don't.

I have three generic 501st clone troopers I thought I'd be displaying before I ended up giving their spots away to The Bad Batch. I thought my Sandtrooper was going to be on display with my Stormtrooper and Snowtrooper, ended up giving that spot to the Shoretrooper. I envisioned Boba Fett and Dooku flanking Vader, now I have the Grand Inquisitor and Tarkin there.

A couple of Asmus Last Alliance warriors, Galadriel, BvS Superman, Wonder Woman, Rey & BB-8, my entire MCU collection. I just don't have the space I envisioned I'd have. So many I just haven't even opened.

I probably should just sell a lot of these figures but I don't know where to get started with that.

I have about 4 figures that I only inspected upon arrival and never touched again since... I can live with that. The main issue here being space. I just don't have enough display space to unpack everything.
But I do, of course, hope that will change at some point...

However, I do have a real issue regarding "loose parts".
I know it's not exactly the same but from my perspective it kinda is :lol
See, I came into this hobby kitbashing. That's how I got most my figures. So I've always been on the lookout for great parts. And back in the day I really kitbashed a lot. But at some point it just became less and less actual figure building however the projects in my mind never really stopped manifesting. So I continued buying parts, of course.
Now I'm at a point where I have hundreds of loose parts just lying around - and let's face it - probably never to be used again...
(Quick rough count: about 130 head sculpts, painted and unpainted but mostly painted), about 75 bodies, ~50 button shirts, ~ 60 longsleeves and T-shirts, ~ 30 jackets and so on and on and on...)

Like I said, it's not exactly the same. But the underlying problem actually is:
You simply just buy things to make sure you have them but you don't really care for them anymore...
Basically: I got it here in my possession, so I can sleep soundly again in case I might actually need it at some point in time but in the meantime it just rots in some box and never actually sees the light of day.

So yeah... Hi there everyone. :wave
My name is Retard and I do have a problem.
:horror

Back