Incorrect Import/Customs Fees (UK)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisstbh

Woke Warrior
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Just had a bill from UPS for £97.42 for "Import Fees" on an item I purchased.

Problem being is I already paid VAT at the point of sale with the overseas seller.

Now I've had to pay it or else I don't receive the item, but I'm wondering has anyone else ever had to fight customers charges that were incorrect? I've checked online and HMRC are absolutely no help, looks like you need to jump through a ton of hoops, and I'm no show dog.

Any easier routes I can take? I have emailed UPS but I know for a fact they're going to pawn me off back to the seller and then I'll contact the seller who will pawn me off back to UPS.

Are you sure the overseas seller actually paid the VAT and didn't just charge you extra?
It's PlayAsia, so I doubt they're pulling a fast one, and the listing states incl. VAT.

I'm assuming they've just filled out the customs declaration incorrectly, but all of the issues then fall onto me.

I've had that before. 3 times by now. And usually both sides just tell you "It's the other parties fault/responsibility, please contact them. We can't help you."

It is possible to get a refund though but you usually have to pester them and don't let up to get what you want.

I don't know the details about your case but with all 3 of my orders things were made worse by the sellers unintentionally by trying to be kind and declaring a lower item value on the package. By doing that the amount of VAT I had to pay upon receipt and the amount I paid upfront did not coincide. Which was the biggest hurdle.

You said it's UPS. In my case UPS showed all the information I needed in their tracking history. Like "Import charges are due for this package". That should make things a lot easier. Just sent a screenshot to the seller. Tell them you already paid your import charges when you made the purchase. PlayAsia can track their package and confirm that you had to pay import charges again for the same order. Sent them the payment confirmation you received from UPS. Then they should be able to refund you. It worked for me once.

I've had that before. 3 times by now. And usually both sides just tell you "It's the other parties fault/responsibility, please contact them. We can't help you."

It is possible to get a refund though but you usually have to pester them and don't let up to get what you want.

I don't know the details about your case but with all 3 of my orders things were made worse by the sellers unintentionally by trying to be kind and declaring a lower item value on the package. By doing that the amount of VAT I had to pay upon receipt and the amount I paid upfront did not coincide. Which was the biggest hurdle.

You said it's UPS. In my case UPS showed all the information I needed in their tracking history. Like "Import charges are due for this package". That should make things a lot easier. Just sent a screenshot to the seller. Tell them you already paid your import charges when you made the purchase. PlayAsia can track their package and confirm that you had to pay import charges again for the same order. Sent them the payment confirmation you received from UPS. Then they should be able to refund you. It worked for me once.
I’ll give that a try, thanks.

The normal routine with incorrect vat is to file claim with hmrc and include evidence. Takes them 1 to 3 months to actually refund you but they do eventually. I have had to go through the hoops many, many times. Usually it is a customs worker misreading yen as dollars or missing the . in $300.00...
In your case it is double payment so not sure if HMRC will refund or seller refund then they claim back. Probably HMRC refund you.

Back