Megalopolis (May 17, 2024)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything I've read and seen makes me want to see this movie.
Apocalypse Now was a complete nightmare of a production, and it's probably the best movie ever made.

He's old school.
*sigh* ... I'm not exactly young anymore but I work with some *dinosaurs* and we still see stuff outta them that's problematic ... every single production I work on has a mandatory anti-harassment seminar in addition to the mandatory union seminars I have to pass.

I get that Coppola is old and privileged but is he *that* tone-deaf ... ??

He's 85 years old and he's maintained a level of success that essentially makes him royalty and has been that way for at least two-thirds of his life. He probably has no clue what "normal" people's lives are like, and has been insulated from that reality for decades, so I can see him being that tone-deaf.

So this movie requires someone to actually get in front of the screen and ask the character in the movie a question?

How’s that gonna work with some 16 year old cinema employee on minimum wage?

So this movie requires someone to actually get in front of the screen and ask the character in the movie a question?

How’s that gonna work with some 16 year old cinema employee on minimum wage?
1716081772503.gif

All the reviews, even ones that "like" it say the same things - it's mad, bonkers, crazy, frustrating, nonsensical, storylines that open and are never closed, inconsistent and bad acting, etc, etc. Ones that don't like it, also add things like, fingernails down a chalkboard, excruciating, numbing, baffling, laughable...

I watched the Cannes panel and I can honestly say I've never seen actors so uncomfortable in my whole life. They could barely answer the questions because they said they never felt good about their roles, but just trusted direction/guidance of the "visionary" Francis.

Sound like a self-indigent abomination.

I'm sure I'll watch it when it becomes available just as a curiosity. I'll be very surprised if it's any good though.

The last movie I found so thoroughly unwatchable I had to turn it off was "Babylon." This is giving me those same vibes.

Wait he paid 120 million of his own money for this mess!

What a delusional dumb ass.
Harsh.

The man has made three of the greatest films ever, helped the career of some pretty important directors, and built a successful winery in the process.
Hardly someone I'd call delusional or dumbass, no matter how much or little I like his latest work.

Harsh.

The man has made three of the greatest films ever, helped the career of some pretty important directors, and built a successful winery in the process.
Hardly someone I'd call delusional or dumbass, no matter how much or little I like his latest work.
You are assuming that i care about
Apocalypse Now and The Godfather 1 and 2.

Never watched Apocalypse Now.

I prefer We Were Soldiers, Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down as my 3 go to war movies for their respective eras of conflict.

Actually I just had my preferred Apocalypse from X-Men show up just last week so technically that is my Apocalypse Now lol

I’ve watched Godfather 1 and 2 and meh ok they were solid movies but mafia movies and TV series bore the crap out of me ZzzZzz unless The Punisher is taking them out then i’m in.

He’s in Hollywood believe me he’s delusional he just spent 120 million of his own money for a bizarre exercise in flexing cringe levels of vanity because he thought he was the same person from the late 60’s and early 70’s.

Cinema has evolved tremendously since then and ironically he was already irrelevant by 1977 all thanks to his friend Lucas when he released SW.

Damn it’s 2024 and the dude was irrelevant in 1977 he should’ve held onto his grapes lol

Last edited:

Shame on you. Shame I say!!

Seeing the "final cut" in IMAX a few years back was one of the last truly great experiences I've had at the cinema.

The opening sequence with the napalm and The Doors and drunk-ass Martin Sheen...it's incredible.

The helicopter attack on the village was the most thrilling thing I've seen in a long time, even though it's over 40 years old. The fact that there was a fleet of REAL helicopters blowing **** up and REAL explosions and fireballs and bridges being turned into splinters....you can tell when it's real. None of that stupid shiny rubbery CGI crap. Same reason people liked Top Gun Maverick so much.....it's all really real! And the Wagner music is so loud you can actually feel it in your testicles. Definitely one of the greatest sequences in film history.

Just watch the movie, but make sure it's on an ENORMOUS screen with the sound turned all the way up!

Shame on you. Shame I say!!

Seeing the "final cut" in IMAX a few years back was one of the last truly great experiences I've had at the cinema.

The opening sequence with the napalm and The Doors and drunk-ass Martin Sheen...it's incredible.

The helicopter attack on the village was the most thrilling thing I've seen in a long time, even though it's over 40 years old. The fact that there was a fleet of REAL helicopters blowing **** up and REAL explosions and fireballs and bridges being turned into splinters....you can tell when it's real. None of that stupid shiny rubbery CGI crap. Same reason people liked Top Gun Maverick so much.....it's all really real! And the Wagner music is so loud you can actually feel it in your testicles. Definitely one of the greatest sequences in film history.

Just watch the movie, but make sure it's on an ENORMOUS screen with the sound turned all the way up!
I don’t know why I ignored this famous movie I mean I watched Deer Hunter and other vietnam themed movies but I never cared to watch AN.

I don’t doubt what you’re saying most will agree with your sentiments i’m certain of that.

Too late now.

Oh well I saw Rambo 2 opening night that will have to do lol

You are assuming that i care about
Apocalypse Now and The Godfather 1 and 2.

I prefer We Were Soldiers, Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down as my 3 go to war movies for their respective eras of conflict.

Actually I just had my preferred Apocalypse from X-Men show up just last week so technically that is my Apocalypse Now lol

I’ve watched Godfather 1 and 2 and meh ok they were solid movies but mafia movies and TV series bore the crap out of me ZzzZzz unless The Punisher is taking them out then i’m in.

He’s in Hollywood believe me he’s delusional he just spent 120 million of his own money for a bizarre exercise in flexing cringe levels of vanity because he thought he was the same person from the late 60’s and early 70’s.

Cinema has evolved tremendously since then and ironically he was already irrelevant by 1977 all thanks to his friend Lucas when he released SW.

Damn it’s 2024 and the dude was irrelevant in 1977 he should’ve held onto his grapes lol
I'm assuming you care about the art of cinema, but clearly you don't.
You probably don't care about 2001: A Space Odyssey, or Lawrence of Arabia... but hey, no shame in that. Everybody has their own preferences and tastes.
And I fully agree on Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down as great films. :clap

I'm assuming you care about the art of cinema, but clearly you don't.
You probably don't care about 2001: A Space Odyssey, or Lawrence of Arabia... but hey, no shame in that. Everybody has their own preferences and tastes.
And I fully agree on Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down as great films. :clap
Ewww lol

Damn you went right off that cliff with an anvil and no parachute!

I don’t care about cinema?

Wut…chill yo! :rotfl

I literally have seen every major movie that moved cinema forward one way or another from the very best American, French, Asian and Latino directors starting from the 1930’s but because I missed ONE SINGLE movie, that being Apocalypse Now, I now don’t care about cinema,

I appreciate Wilder, Truffaut, Lean, Fleming, Camus, Hawks, Kubrick and Kurosawa just as much as anyone else but I also appreciate Pizza, Hot Dogs and Hamburgers!

Apocalypse Now literally is my one giant sized cinematic hole that I never felt the urge to correct. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (maybe there are others :horror)

I made Cannibal Campout for crying out loud I am all about cinema lol

Apologize now or I will send you a copy of Cannibal Campout tell em Wor-Gar he’ll be sorry lol

Last edited:
Back