MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it looks close to proto then good enough. Beggars can't be choosers, not like there are several brands of 1:6 Mac to choose from. Main thing is the head sculpt looks acceptable from shelf viewing distance.

Even if it comes out sub par will still be plenty to use for custom figure.

It seems like some of you think the MacReady will just be okay. Does Mondo not have a great track record with 1/6 figures?

They don't have much of a track record to speak of in 1/6.

If the parts are decent, mostly the heads, I'll be okay.

It seems like some of you think the MacReady will just be okay. Does Mondo not have a great track record with 1/6 figures?
The prototype doesn't look to be on the same level as high end companies like Hot Toys or Blitzway in terms of accessories and clothing. And finished products rarely appear better than the prototype. So I'm expecting something on the order of a mid range Sideshow figure as a best case scenario.

20240725_134643.jpg

That MAC sculpt does look great in that photo...and a shout out for John Nada...

Pretty good sculpts and paints as far as I can see from Mondo...

Not many photos of this out there yet, hopefully we can see some more soon!

The hair is a bit lacking in detail but the beard looks really good, the likeness is strong and the paint app is quite lifelike. Pity about the jacket and the absurd omission of the blue hoodie, but those can be sourced from elsewhere. I wonder why the second head isn't on display?

It's the production piece, according to this video.

The hair is a bit lacking in detail but the beard looks really good, the likeness is strong and the paint app is quite lifelike. Pity about the jacket and the absurd omission of the blue hoodie, but those can be sourced from elsewhere. I wonder why the second head isn't on display?

The jacket does still look outdated and unworkable in the collar area. The tailoring there is comparable to 1/12 scale.

It rides up too high so the end of the zip is above his chin instead of below it.

ThingKR-CL1-Jacket.jpg

Might work better completely unzipped, as he wore it at times during the film. That'd also show off some more of the flight suit.

My other option is to use the spare DID A-2 jacket, but that means messing with fur.

(Mondo's sample is also missing a pocket button).

The jacket does still look outdated and unworkable in the collar area. The tailoring there is comparable to 1/12 scale.

It rides up too high so the end of the zip is above his chin instead of below it.

View attachment 715739

Might work better completely unzipped, as he wore it at times during the film. That'd also show off some more of the flight suit.

My other option is to use the spare DID A-2 jacket, but that means messing with fur.

(Mondo's sample is also missing a pocket button).
In regards to the DiD jacket collar, I found using self-adhesive felt in brown simulates the fur without looking off or out of scale.

In regards to the DiD jacket collar, I found using self-adhesive felt in brown simulates the fur without looking off or out of scale.

That's good thinking. I actually have some sheets of that in dark brown, which would be a closer colour match than Mondo's.

The DID is not without its issues though. The underside of the collar is just the black backing of the leather because it wasn't designed to be popped up. It also needs pocket buttons, though there are spare buttons from numerous other figures that could be used.

I'm more tempted to work with Mondo's, leaving it open if necessary as the promo photos showed it had the correct colour lining sections.

ThingKR-GUN2-ColtRevolver.jpg

No blue hoodie, but I think he may end up looking like the Michelin Man if he was wearing that as well.

Yeah, there's just too many layers. You could remove the white and grey undershirts and replace them with the hoodie, but you're still dealing with three layers of too-thick clothing. If it was just the flight suit and the jacket, maybe you'd be able to futz it to look ok, but the jacket would have to be zipped all the way up, and even then the tailoring wouldn't be amazing.

If you wanted to get ambitious you could try removing the white and grey undershirts, and trimming the blue hoodie and attaching the top of it to the flight suit, then zipping up the jacket to get the look in the picture below.

the-thing-1982-universal-pictures-film-with-kurt-russell-as-rjmacready-2F7FC38.jpg

Yeah, there's just too many layers. You could remove the white and grey undershirts and replace them with the hoodie, but you're still dealing with three layers of too-thick clothing. If it was just the flight suit and the jacket, maybe you'd be able to futz it to look ok, but the jacket would have to be zipped all the way up, and even then the tailoring wouldn't be amazing.

If you wanted to get ambitious you could try removing the white and grey undershirts, and trimming the blue hoodie and attaching the top of it to the flight suit, then zipping up the jacket to get the look in the picture below.

the-thing-1982-universal-pictures-film-with-kurt-russell-as-rjmacready-2F7FC38.jpg
That's the Thing though, really, Who Goes There with such heavy customising. Better to maybe use correctly coloured trousers and a blue hoodie for minimal layers then jacket over. No cutting or sewing needed.

Back