PlayStation 5 Pro (November 7, 2024)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solidus

Solid Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pre-orders open at the usual retailers on September 26, 2024, while the official launch date is November 7, 2024.

It'll retail at $699, and will be without a disc drive (that'll have to be purchased separately for $79.99).

Compared to the base PS5 the Pro is featuring (info lifted from Sony's official site):
  • Upgraded GPU: With PS5 Pro, we are upgrading to a GPU that has 67% more Compute Units than the current PS5 console and 28% faster memory. Overall, this enables up to 45% faster rendering for gameplay, making the experience much smoother.
  • Advanced Ray Tracing: We’ve added even more powerful ray tracing that provides more dynamic reflection and refraction of light. This allows the rays to be cast at double, and at times triple, the speeds of the current PS5 console.
  • AI-Driven Upscaling: We’re also introducing PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution, an AI-driven upscaling that uses a machine learning-based technology to provide super sharp image clarity by adding an extraordinary amount of detail.
https://blog.playstation.com/2024/0...-impressive-way-to-play-games-on-playstation/

PS5 Pro Trailer:

Technical Presentation:

Will any of you guys be getting it? AI-upscaling can be pretty extraordinary at times, and can totally transform a game with more photo-realism (but YMMV depending on the title).

I already have a base PS5. But, whether I get a Pro model this year or not might depend on how good the trade-in value is for the PS5.

That might be a determining factor of how popular the Pro will be at launch. I'm more interested in it for certain titles like Silent Hill 2 and MGS 3 Delta.

That said, this console is a "maybe" for me this year, while the Switch 2 (or whatever it'll be called) is a definitely buy next year.

Want it for GT7, but I think it'll reach discount prices in a year like psvr2

I actually doubt that the console will have a good price drop. Sony sort of addressed this concern with the base PS5 earlier in the year...

Via IGN: https://www.ign.com/articles/sony-says-big-ps5-price-cut-would-be-very-difficult
In an investor call viewed by IGN, Sony Interactive Entertainment boss Hiroki Totoki said it's harder to “shrink” the PS5’s die size and therefore cut console manufacturing costs compared to Sony’s ability to cheapen the PS4. “Therefore cost reduction is very difficult, simply put,” Totoki said.

One issue Sony faces as it considers the price of the PS5 during the fourth year of its life is the relatively high cost to shrink the console’s die size compared to equivalent costs during the previous generation. That leaves little room for maneuver, and suggests storage may be the only area of the console Sony could reasonably look to cut costs. All this at a time when the price of components is rising.

The original PS5 launched at $499, with a cheaper digital-only version priced $399.99. Last year’s PS5 Slim launched at $499.99, again with a cheaper digital-only version but this time priced $449.99.

Yeah they can shove this.

Microsoft and Nintendo both play a hand in this too, neither of them are providing Sony with enough competition so Sony has gone back to it's arrogant era. This is like the PS3 reveal but worse, you literally need to pause and zoom in to see any quality differences.

I appreciate good visuals as much as anyone else but I'm not looking that something in the background that's 100ft away and analysing it.

Disc drive + stand sold separately too, ridiculous.

£700 console, £100 disc drive, £65 extra controller, £25 vertical stand.

£890 for a full setup? Easy pass, I'll pick up a slim for almost half the price.

£700 console, £100 disc drive, £65 extra controller, £25 vertical stand.

£890 for a full setup? Easy pass, I'll pick up a slim for almost half the price.
£890 so that you can play upscaled PS4 games :lol.

This reveal made it all the more apparent how lacking Sony's exclusive library has been this generation.

I'll stick with my PC. My launch PS5, at this point, is nothing at this point but just a way to play PS4 games (like Bloodborne) that aren't on PC.

I'll stick with my PC. My launch PS5, at this point, is nothing at this point but just a way to play PS4 games (like Bloodborne) that aren't on PC.
My PS5 is a phone charger.

If anyone wants to buy a phone charger that can play games let me know :lol

Last edited:
There's a general shift away from physical media, so that's why its become more "acceptable" for consoles to come without disc drives (as unfortunate as that is). I figure the PS6 will be all digital when it's released in several years.

I also recently learned that Best Buy no longer sells Blu Rays, as streaming services have become the go-to platforms for watching movies. Have to say, I hate the way the times are changing for gaming and physical media in general. When I buy consoles these days, it's usually just for several titles - but, I've always been willing to spend a premium for that.

There's a general shift away from physical media, so that's why its become more "acceptable" for consoles to come without disc drives (as unfortunate as that is). I figure the PS6 will be all digital when it's released in several years.

I also recently learned that Best Buy no longer sells Blu Rays, as streaming services have become the go-to platforms for watching movies. Have to say, I hate the way the times are changing for gaming and physical media in general. When I buy consoles these days, it's usually just for several titles - but, I've always been willing to spend a premium for that.
I dislike this change a lot (for consoles).Now, it sucks how even if I buy a physical copy, that's more like buying a beta build, because companies then releases gigabytes worth of patches.

Nowadays, 99% of my gaming is on PC, and I only buy on GOG if I'm buying a game near release. Or just buy it for dirt-cheap on Steam. Or even better, start sailing the high seas 🏴‍☠️

Back