Selling/Pricing Advice?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyisnormal

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hi All,

Due to life and financial reasons I'm going to be selling a collection of sideshow statues for someone. But I'm not the collector - so I'm really unsure of how to price them. And the owner is not really helpful in determining value/price.

Its a large (at least to me) collection, so will take some time to get pictures of everything. They saved the original shipping box in addition to the art box - they said this is proof of authenticity and added value but I'm not sure if that's actually true. Currently all of the statues are in their boxes and so not assembled. Do we have to take them out and assemble them for photos or are pictures in the box with close ups of pieces ok?

I've read all the other advice posts about FB Marketplace being a good place, avoid ebay, and using PayPal.

Is going to a collectable shop and selling consignment any good or a real option? I'm in the southeast part of PA, and would have to look up shops, but if it's not a good way to sell personal collections I'd rather focus my time elsewhere.

Thank you for any advice!

I don't believe that the shops will give you very good prices for those collectibles - unless you don't mind selling at a significant loss. Years ago, I inquired to Midtown Comics Times Square about selling some of my old figures, and one of their workers told me to forget about it. Basically, I'd be losing out, and they'd be profiting from selling my items at marked up prices. I'm sure it's like that for other collectible stores as well.

You could try Mercari - although, I'm not too familiar with their policies. Selling on this forum is another option once your account is in proper standing; be a member for 14 days and have 15 prior posts before creating a sales thread (or become a supporting member to bypass the requirements).

Having the original boxes will help to preserve the resale value of those statues. I don't believe that assembling any of the new statues is necessary. You can probably just take photos of the pieces in the boxes.

Thank you both! I'd had a feeling selling to stores was more about speed than profit. Definitely not something I'll pursue at this point.

I'm not sure the "avoid ebay" is solid advice. I've sold a few hundred collectibles on eBay and the down side is that the fees take a bit of the profit, but to me, it's still the best bet for a reliable sale approaching actual value. Even if you don't sell on eBay, use eBay to price the statues. Simply do a search for the statue and filter on "completed items". This gives you an idea of what similar have sold for and, just as important, what it won't sell for. You'll see a $500 statue that someone has been re-listing at $1000 for months, which tells you it won't sell at that price. If you consistently see sales in the $400-600 range, $500 is a reasonable price, most likely. Good luck!

You can sell on Ebay. Just don't scalp. I sell a lot on there because I price my stuff fair. Ebay is great for selling. As long as you ain't a crook.

Never do your fellow collectors that way. You'll be buying from them some day.

Mercari and eBay are both good options. If the statues have already been open, then I would at the very least open them up to document their condition (usually with video as well as showing the shipping label to the buyer to show that it's a current video) prior to shipping it out. This way, in the event that the buyer or shipper break it, you have proof of the condition before it was shipped to either battle a potential dispute with the buyer or to show the shipping company so that they reimburse you for the purchase price if you get insurance.

Buyers on Mercari expect a good deal though so I wouldn't expect too much profit there if at all. With eBay, you might make a small profit but as mentioned above, the fees really hit you hard.

Just to piggy back on this, what if you have pieces that are rare so you can't get prices on sold items on eBay for pricing? I have a lot of OG Sideshow statues and limited editions of 50 that don't pop up very often so I know those limited ones do have value but I don't know a fair price to ask for them.

Just to piggy back on this, what if you have pieces that are rare so you can't get prices on sold items on eBay for pricing? I have a lot of OG Sideshow statues and limited editions of 50 that don't pop up very often so I know those limited ones do have value but I don't know a fair price to ask for them.
A good old fashioned auction will determine the price. List it at the minimum price you’d be willing to let it go for and let the bidding determine the price.

I usually sell on eBay, its great and easy for me, although the fees are abit high 13%~
FB Marketplace you might get a better deal and avoid fees besides Paypal payment which is about 5% for G&S

A good old fashioned auction will determine the price. List it at the minimum price you’d be willing to let it go for and let the bidding determine the price.
Setting that minimum price is critical AND having the right description so that people find the piece. If it's rare and doesn't sell very often, you need to nail the description or the people who might be willing to boost the auction price will never know it's there.

Thanks for piggy backing!

I still need to dive into market research but the owner/collector has mentioned some of their pieces being rare so trying to price those types has been a worry for me.

I'm not sure the "avoid ebay" is solid advice. I've sold a few hundred collectibles on eBay and the down side is that the fees take a bit of the profit, but to me, it's still the best bet for a reliable sale approaching actual value. Even if you don't sell on eBay, use eBay to price the statues. Simply do a search for the statue and filter on "completed items". This gives you an idea of what similar have sold for and, just as important, what it won't sell for. You'll see a $500 statue that someone has been re-listing at $1000 for months, which tells you it won't sell at that price. If you consistently see sales in the $400-600 range, $500 is a reasonable price, most likely. Good luck!
I appreciate the pricing help!

Echoing what others have said I know the ebay fees have gone up. When I've sold other types items on eBay those have been a hit. I've also had more issues with buyers on ebay than with FB Marketplace. My personal preference is to avoid it, but I wouldn't if people were saying it was a good venue for statues.

Another question:
Is there any advantage to selling as a lot? Specifically if its a group/line/ related characters?

For example if they have four statues from the from the Sideshow Collectibles J. Scott Campbell’s Fairytale Fantasies Collection, would selling as a lot sell faster/or at higher price point (for the convenience factor)? I don't think they're willing to part with these, so this is more a hypothetical example.

I suspect not, but I've also heard and seen of new collectors (in other hobbies) really jumping on lots and wasn't sure if that was also seen in this community.

Another question:
Is there any advantage to selling as a lot? Specifically if its a group/line/ related characters?

For example if they have four statues from the from the Sideshow Collectibles J. Scott Campbell’s Fairytale Fantasies Collection, would selling as a lot sell faster/or at higher price point (for the convenience factor)? I don't think they're willing to part with these, so this is more a hypothetical example.

I suspect not, but I've also heard and seen of new collectors (in other hobbies) really jumping on lots and wasn't sure if that was also seen in this community.
Just my 2 cents but i think it depends on the collection and type of thing. I have sold things as a collection and separately in the past. If each item can get a decent price then sell inidividually but if you have say a whole wave of a figures and then there is always a couple that wouldnt sell for much or at all then it makes sense to sell as a group. My advice is research every single item then make a judgement call. Ebay does take a chunk now but they do a lot of offers to reduce selling fees if sold in the first 30 days which makes a difference. Only other thing i would suggest is take a tonne of pics of it packaged as some people try their luck and say its damaged when they receive it so you need evidence or ebay always sides with the buyer. Good luck

Just my 2 cents but i think it depends on the collection and type of thing. I have sold things as a collection and separately in the past. If each item can get a decent price then sell inidividually but if you have say a whole wave of a figures and then there is always a couple that wouldnt sell for much or at all then it makes sense to sell as a group. My advice is research every single item then make a judgement call. Ebay does take a chunk now but they do a lot of offers to reduce selling fees if sold in the first 30 days which makes a difference. Only other thing i would suggest is take a tonne of pics of it packaged as some people try their luck and say its damaged when they receive it so you need evidence or ebay always sides with the buyer. Good luck
Thank you!

Just to update everyone -

Thank you all for your help and advice! I definitely feel like I have a better handle on approaching this project.

Next step - get a list and research, research, research!

Back