Should I keep my collection... Help!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I been there and done that, so I'd advice you DONT. I was a college student, who fell in love with 1/6 collecting. Like I said, I was a college student, and not many college students that I know of have very many hundreds to blow on a single toy. I didnt have a monstrous collection either, I had 5 figures that I was madly in love with, and that was enough for me at the time. This would be also the first time when I started dating, so naturally, I need new shoes, new clothes, new cellphone, and a new car. I just had to make sacrifices. At the time, I got a damn good price on each and every one of my figures. So I sold them all. I wrapped each and every one of them carefully, and sent them off. When I was wrapping down to my last and favorite figure, I couldnt help it, but cried like a B****, LITERALLY.A few months later, I had totally forgotten this hobby. I thought to myself "what I have now is much more than having a much of plastics on my desk". However, a few years later, I came across some really awesome figures at my local comic bookstore. That moment, my heart started beating again, and in excitement. That night I spent all night looking for the figures I previously sold, and to my surprise, the price sky rocketed.Why torture yourself, of selling them, and then regretting later. Because you know if you sell your collection now, the chances are, it will be harder to attain the pieces that you are selling now. Try storing them and taking them out again when you are ready. My mother also taught me that when you are not ready, dont make a decision, because you will ultimately end up crying for it.

:lol:lol:lol

What were the five figure you sold?

I am always here anytime you want to get back that good feeling lerath :wave

I'm here too. :)

You Defo need to relocate them to an area where you'll appreciate them more. I know I've stupidly wasted thousands of pounds on my collection; money I'll never recoup but whenever I step into the man cave, I can't help smile at what I've amassed :)
It does sound like you're collecting just out of habit now? Stop for a while and see if you miss it?

I'm kind of at an impasse myself with my Hot Wheels collection. I definitely love my figures and those take presidence and are displayed, whereas my cars are sitting in a couple bins under the bed. I feel like I wouldn't be able to find some of them (gave some away earlier this year) and that coupled with the older ones that I had from my childhood make it a tough decision and hard to let go.

I would, however, like to focus on one thing. It can be emotional when you are tied to certain objects because of the feelings they emote for you, but I'm almost at that decision that "if it isn't out and displayed, then I don't need it." That also goes with a lot of my Hasbro/Kenner figures; I think they are great and tied to my childhood, and some rare ones as well, but they sit in bins except for my stormtroopers and Tatooine aliens.

Lot's of good advice here

I think there general concencus (sp?) is that I should keep them

If I'm being honest I think it's just due to a lot of stuff happening at the moment, getting married in Feb 2013, a baby on the way in November and although i've got money, I can't help but think - 'what if!'

I'm a natural worrier, that's why i try to save so much, i guess one way to look at it is that if i ever did want to get out of this hobby, I can always sell up and get my money back (and more in some cases)

i supposed it's not like my Scotch, with that, once i've drunk it i aint ever gonna be able to sell it if i need to

i think i'll hold off until new year, see how i feel, i've got a couple on pre-order (the avengers basically) and i know that whatever happens i'm done after them. so i guess that's some sort of closure.

and i definately need to sort out the loft, it's just got loads of wedding stuff dumped up there, infecting my space!!! women...

I think you should stop ordering new ones before looking at selling everything.....

I'd recommend just not buying anymore and reposing and relocating your figures to see if the interest is still there.

Sometimes i'll think of selling a figure then once i take it out & repose i feel like keeping it :lol

Back