Sideshow Scum and Villainy Limited Edition 1/6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The SSC Evazan sculpt does have a passing resemblance to a 7-11 manager I had a run-in with once, but will reserve judgement once a lit-up pic is up. The Garindan is hard to judge in terms of too skinny because he's turned slightly but padding him out slightly is no big deal. The Hasbro Garindan sculpt is pretty decent but the idea we could get a Garindan and Evazan as higher-end figures is pretty insane, let alone the horny devil guy.

arturo.png
Higher-end figures? Remember this is Sideshow we're talking about.

213e54d5-4fa3-434f-b13f-34280c62761f_text.gif

Higher-end figures? Remember this is Sideshow we're talking about.

213e54d5-4fa3-434f-b13f-34280c62761f_text.gif
Eh, with inaccurate Mando details all over my ROTJ Scout and speeder bike and that abomination of a HT Tusken and Jawa, not to mention the fourth not-nailed Vader helmet from HT releasing (and a recent re-release of their second not-nailed stormie helmet sculpt) I wouldn't exactly be cheering HT and poo-pooing SSC. And "high-end"? Tell that to the people with deteriorating HT R1/ANH Vader jumpsuits and boots.

And everyone seems to forget: Sideshow has always excelled at creatures, on par with HT, and these are 100% creatures.

Eh, with inaccurate Mando details all over my ROTJ Scout and speeder bike and that abomination of a HT Tusken and Jawa, not to mention the fourth not-nailed Vader helmet from HT releasing (and a recent re-release of their second not-nailed stormie helmet sculpt) I wouldn't exactly be cheering HT and poo-pooing SSC.

And everyone seems to forget: Sideshow has always excelled at creatures, on par with HT, and these are 100% creatures.
I never said anything about HT, I was just thinking about Sideshow's General Grievous. HT figures may have inaccuracies but they don't fall apart when you look at them lol. And I don't think Sideshow's animated line was well received, was it?

As for Sideshow excelling at making creatures, I'll have to take your word on that - I don't think I was collecting when they last made a 1/6 scale SW creature. Wait, I guess their Cad Bane qualifies but that's not released yet.

I never said anything about HT, I was just thinking about Sideshow's General Grievous. HT figures may have inaccuracies but they don't fall apart when you look at them lol. And I don't think Sideshow's animated line was well received, was it?

As for Sideshow excelling at making creatures, I'll have to take your word on that - I don't think I was collecting when they last made a 1/6 scale SW creature. Wait, I guess their Cad Bane qualifies but that's not released yet.
SSC Grievous is a 10+ year old figure. Yes it's on Sideshow they re-released an outdated fig in the past several years with few if any improvements as a cash grab.

I think the "SSC sucks" discussion by default involves elevating HT. I mean what else is there that "is" the SW higher end figure market when saying SSC doesn't match up. I'm just saying HT is fairly often a mile from perfect, and a lot of their SW figures are middling at best.

I'd whole-heartedly agree on the sub-par level of SSC's human offerings, even the most recent - their Lando skiff and Luke Jedi had really subpar paint and only middling sculpts - but then again I still prefer SSC's old ESB Lando sculpt in terms of BDW likeness over the HT ESB Lando (I have two of each) But yeah there's been a ton of SSC quality control issues over the past 15-20 years, mostly in regards to poor quality bodies (SSC Jawa, despite being a really nice looking fig that totally blows away the HT Jawa, had a god-awful body.)

But with a few exceptions (not a huge fan of their cantina musician, Yoda or Greedo sculpts) SSC's creatures have been fantastic - the Tusken, Hammerhead and even their old Jabba are incredibly accurate sculpts. That's what makes me really excited for these figs: they are what SSC excels at, and body issues should be solved by now.

SSC Grievous is a 10+ year old figure. Yes it's on Sideshow they re-released an outdated fig in the past several years with few if any improvements as a cash grab.

I think the "SSC sucks" discussion by default involves elevating HT. I mean what else is there that "is" the SW higher end figure market when saying SSC doesn't match up. I'm just saying HT is fairly often a mile from perfect, and a lot of their SW figures are middling at best.

I'd whole-heartedly agree on the sub-par level of SSC's human offerings, even the most recent - their Lando skiff and Luke Jedi had really subpar paint and only middling sculpts - but then again I still prefer SSC's old ESB Lando sculpt in terms of BDW likeness over the HT ESB Lando (I have two of each) But yeah there's been a ton of SSC quality control issues over the past 15-20 years, mostly in regards to poor quality bodies (SSC Jawa, despite being a really nice looking fig that totally blows away the HT Jawa, had a god-awful body.)

But with a few exceptions (not a huge fan of their cantina musician, Yoda or Greedo sculpts) SSC's creatures have been fantastic - the Tusken, Hammerhead and even their old Jabba are incredibly accurate sculpts. That's what makes me really excited for these figs: they are what SSC excels at, and body issues should be solved by now.
I was simply poking fun at the idea that Sideshow could be considered as a producer of higher-end 1/6 action figures, especially today with InArt arriving on the scene and causing HT to raise their game in response. Maybe the sculpts for these creatures will be good (based on their statue output they definitely have the in-house talent to achieve that), but will they bother to incorporate high-end features such as moving eyes & wool hair (where applicable), will their costume tailoring be up to snuff and will they upgrade their bodies with quality joints, etc.? Filling in the gaps with figures that HT has overlooked looks like a smart move, but if they don't raise their quality to be on par with what people currently have in their displays I fear it will all be for naught.

Have SS's 1/6 releases recently been bad? I thought they've improved, but haven't been paying attention as I'm not interested in any of those IPs.

Have SS's 1/6 releases recently been bad? I thought they've improved, but haven't been paying attention as I'm not interested in any of those IPs.

I have their Gambit figure from a year or so ago, and I'm happy with it.

Following the Clint Eastwood collection thread, people seem happy with those. It's very much a 'what you see is what you get." Some folks didn't like the sculpts, but the figure turns out like the proto.

I think folks just don't like their sculpts, and don't buy them, and just express their disappointment from that angle. Not a lot of people buy their figures, and post about it here.

Sideshow had a pretty long history of being underwhelming with releases. I’m always cautious of their figures.

The Dude from The Big Lebowski is the last one of theirs I received and it’s decent. Also have their Beetlejuice pre-ordered.

I’m willing to take a chance on at least Greedo as long as the price isn’t outrageous.

I have their Gambit figure from a year or so ago, and I'm happy with it.

Following the Clint Eastwood collection thread, people seem happy with those. It's very much a 'what you see is what you get." Some folks didn't like the sculpts, but the figure turns out like the proto.

I think folks just don't like their sculpts, and don't buy them, and just express their disappointment from that angle. Not a lot of people buy their figures, and post about it here.
Some would be surprised to know this site used to be called Sideshow Freaks. :lol

The Lando Skiff is the last major SW live action release and it was decent - well tailored and accessories well sculpted/painted. Helmet is really nice. But the headsculpt was only middling and the skin tone much too dark with flat apps.

Sideshow accessories and weapons have always been on-par with HT, in a handful of cases (rebel blaster) actually better.

They are capable of good work even on humans: their TOD Indy head is much better than the (older) Hot Toys DX Indy head but there's also the Luke Jedi release they did just before Lando that was ruined by poor paint apps and lifeless eyes.

I don't recall any issues with Sideshow bodies in at least five years - last I heard was I think the TOD Indy body broke frequently and the unique Jawa body was a disaster, but that's nearly a decade ago.

Interested in Greedo and Walrus Man, not sure if it'll be enough to open up shelf space but they'll look great on display I'm sure.

The Lando Skiff is the last major SW live action release and it was decent - well tailored and accessories well sculpted/painted. Helmet is really nice. But the headsculpt was only middling and the skin tone much too dark with flat apps.

Sideshow accessories and weapons have always been on-par with HT, in a handful of cases (rebel blaster) actually better.

They are capable of good work even on humans: their TOD Indy head is much better than the (older) Hot Toys DX Indy head but there's also the Luke Jedi release they did just before Lando that was ruined by poor paint apps and lifeless eyes.

I don't recall any issues with Sideshow bodies in at least five years - last I heard was I think the TOD Indy body broke frequently and the unique Jawa body was a disaster, but that's nearly a decade ago.
The clone wars bodies were disasters. The Anakin and Obi-Wan were straight cracking in pieces and falling apart. Many people got MANY replacements. I stayed away from the due to that and the price even when they had their sales. Now, my Dude figure is excellent. But it's not like El Duderino is doing any excessive posing. My Jedi Luke from them isn't bad either. But yeah, Anakin and Obi-Wan had a disasterous launch. That said, I'm still interested in these because I don't expect hot toys to touch them anytime soon.

UNLESS of course SS is trying to get these out before HT does.

Not for my collection but they'll be large market for these if they don't screw this up, but with their recent track history with 1/6 figures, they'll screw this up.

I hope for a lot of collectors here, they nail it and exceed our very low expectations.

Back