Skin tone help

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the skin tones worked great guys...thank you SOOOOO much.....now...second lesson....what is "blotting"....and how do you apply it??

There are several ways to apply the skin details if thats what you are referring to when you mention blotting. On my blog there are a few different examples of this technique. I usually use a brush.

Hey thanks small stuidios...i went to your blog but i am a RA-tawd AND don't know where to find that info...can you provide a link directly to that place so that i can see how it is done and applied....:)....thanks man

There are several ways to apply the skin details if thats what you are referring to when you mention blotting. On my blog there are a few different examples of this technique. I usually use a brush.

u can use a sea sponge to get a broken up/mottled pattern but its best done with an airbrush

Wow...this thread is fantastic. Makes me want to give customs another shot :lol

So I got a nude Royce body today and I am getting quite frustrated with Hot Toys skin tone. You go to all the work of painting a realistic complexion and then have to place it on a body is way too dark. The TTF, Sarah Connor and Royce bodies are all too dark for what they supposedly represent.

I'm just at a loss how a company that has such attention to detail fails again and again with such a basic element. How do other people deal with this issue?

I usually research the piece. Adjust skin tones & match the body to the face. Never the skin to the raw body

Also, lighting. Make sure the light you use is natural light. Most light affect the color. Sometimes they give an overly yellow cast to the paint.

Paint for the subject. Enhance what the sculptor has created. Don't just paint it, make it coma alive.

a good example is my Lee Byung-hun. Some films he has a more golden look. Others such as IRIS, more lighter pinkish caucasian. Lighting in films can be more saturated. So, if the piece is a specific film piece, make it look that way. It's totally subjective.

Are you painting from light to dark or dark to light? This also affects how you will proceed.

Don't be afraid to experiment. Worst case? Use Pine Sol to remove a not so good paint job & start again.

Oh, forgot. I use Liquitex exclusively. You really get nice coverage & a milky smooth surface.

I'm still having trouble making the paint look like real skin. Whenever I TRY to paint a head, it just looks paint and not skin looking....if that makes sense.

Back