Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The internet worships Roger Ebert, but when you tell them he gave The Phantom Menace 3 1/2 stars and called it “an astonishing achievement in imaginative filmmaking”, they don’t believe you. But it’s true. People went to see these movies, they broke box office records. If they all sucked as the Prequel Haters want you to believe, their box office would look more like After Earth."

Ebert never said that so I have no idea why you are taking about him.

He actually praised TPM and ROTS

Just wanted to point out why I pointed out eberts Die Hard review since you brought ebert up.

You are also using Box office as an argument... So I guess the Transformer films are all great also...

SW has a built in fan base. Those films would have made money no matter what.

Yeah, I can never forgive Ebert for his Aliens, Die Hard and Batman 1989 reviews.

Idk, the marriage of cgi and practical in TFA is being handled very well, they are definately achieving a realistic look to it all.

I agree... I cant tell what is real and what is CGI in this shot.

Screenshot_29.jpg

I only went to see ROTS because it was the last of the trilogy and maybe the last SW film ever (how naive), and because I always wanted to see Vader's transformation, not because I thought the previous films were good :lol

Then he said he didn't recommend Aliens because Newt was in danger of getting killed! It was bogus.

He was completely off point on Die Hard.

Siskel put him in his place on Batman.

I only went to see ROTS because it was the last of the trilogy and maybe the last SW film ever (how naive), and because I always wanted to see Vader's transformation, not because I thought the previous films were good :lol

Exactly... Built in fan base....

SW films are critic proof they will always be huge at the box office... thought a new SW film every year could be over kill ad if they were to release PT type quality I think they would eventually start failing.

Then he said he didn't recommend Aliens because Newt was in danger of getting killed! It was bogus.

He was completely off point on Die Hard.

Siskel put him in his place on Batman.

Listen to the I Spit on your Grave commentary with Joe Bob Briggs... He put both of them in their place :lol

Also, I'm kidding. I liked Ebert, even if I didn't agree with all of his reviews.

Everyone is different.

Also, I'm kidding. I liked Ebert, even if I didn't agree with all of his reviews.

Everyone is different.

I liked him also... I have three of his review books... My point was what you just said.

Everyone is different. Just because Ebert likes or dislikes something goes not make it fact.

Same goes for my opinion... But it is much closer then Eberts :)

I remember he hated the Usual Suspects also and did not care for Unforgiven.

He also loved Die Hard 2 and The Long Kiss Goodnight.

I swear sometimes he was paid off :lol

This is a fun read.

Roger Ebert's Worst Reviews: 2. Unforgiven (1992)

Wow, that's interesting. There's a huge list of all the reviews he got "wrong" :lol But what's more interesting is that he later changed his mind about Unforgiven. I didn't see Rambo 2 in that list. He and Siskel gave it a good review, even though most critics at the time (and today) gave it a bad review... although most of the modern reviews always bring up politics and President Reagan as their main argument when criticizing the film. Still, I love that movie even if it's just an 80's action film.

Wow, that's interesting. There's a huge list of all the reviews he got "wrong" :lol But what's more interesting is that he later changed his mind about Unforgiven. I didn't see Rambo 2 in that list. He and Siskel gave it a good review, even though most critics at the time (and today) gave it a bad review... although most of the modern reviews always bring up politics and President Reagan as their main argument when criticizing the film. Still, I love that movie even if it's just an 80's action film.

Rambo has not aged well for me but man I loved it back in the day. First Blood is still my 3rd fav action film of all time.

No dvd collection is complete without Rambo or Rocky.

FB = great
Rambo 2 = fun
Rambo 3 = cheesy fun
Rambo 4 = gorier than most horror movies :lol

Rocky 1 = great
Rocky 2 - 50 = fun

I am NOT a fan of Blade Runner. It's just ok for me. I'm much more of a SW/Raiders guy. :lol

Other than the visuals, effects and city, I don't like Blade Runner either. None of the versions.

Ebert is a human being like everyone else. Who among us hasn't had an initial reaction to some film or another that changed pretty drastically over time? I initially didn't get the Big Lebowski, and now it's one of my favorites. Same thing happens with music and books.

The PT excelled in these 3 technical departments:

Sound, especially during pod race and Jango's rock buster bomb.
Lightsaber effects
Pod Race cgi and sense of speed.

Story, Script, Directing, Acting need not apply. :lol

Last edited:
Back