Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent time comparing all 3 (Sideshow actually got theirs out today too).
Overall I think the HT looks better. I really liked the ratchet joints on the Tama. I think the lights are the best on the SSC.
Decisions decisions!

I spent time comparing all 3 (Sideshow actually got theirs out today too).
Overall I think the HT looks better. I really liked the ratchet joints on the Tama. I think the lights are the best on the SSC.
Decisions decisions!

If you're looking for accuracy, the HT 3PO isn't useful as an OT 3PO - there are several differences between the OT and ST suits, not the least being they remade the 3PO suit to adjust to Daniel's heavier body frame. So TFA 3PO looks noticeably fatter than the super-slender 3PO seen in the OT, especially ANH.

If you're looking for a generic 3PO and aren't too concerned with inaccuracies that probably wouldn't be noticeable to the average non-fan, then the HT 3PO is probably the best (though obviously only a proto has been seen so far, and you probably can't fairly compare a proto to the SSC or Tama prod versions.)

Tama has the ANH silver leg too.

There's a few other differences also - the belly wires (the "old printer cable" look,) several parts of the actual sculpt aside from the generally fatter look.

If HT didn't do such a precise job of matching details, these things probably wouldn't have been noticeable.:lol

The HT 3PO was looking even fatter at Celebration than before for some reason. I really wish HT wouldn't have tried to match the TFA suit so closely and just gone with an OT 3PO body.

I didn't notice that, but I'm on my way over there I'll take another look. And damn you if that's all I see now.

But each compartment door is hinged on the outside edge, and the notch is on the same edge - it just doesn't make sense for it to be there.
:lecture
yes this needs further explaination still. Guess I'll need to ask at comicon... unless of course some folks are going to get into the weeds about it today. Those notches just simply make no sense. They look like tree connection remnants or something, but that wouldn't make much sense.

If you're looking for accuracy, the HT 3PO isn't useful as an OT 3PO - there are several differences between the OT and ST suits, not the least being they remade the 3PO suit to adjust to Daniel's heavier body frame. So TFA 3PO looks noticeably fatter than the super-slender 3PO seen in the OT, especially ANH.

If you're looking for a generic 3PO and aren't too concerned with inaccuracies that probably wouldn't be noticeable to the average non-fan, then the HT 3PO is probably the best (though obviously only a proto has been seen so far, and you probably can't fairly compare a proto to the SSC or Tama prod versions.)

Sorry I wasn't clear, I was referring to R2. I think if any 3PO made it into my collection it would probably be the Tama. That thing is beautiful. Pricey but beautiful.

It's frustrating - the Tama dome is more screen accurate, but it's plastic. The HT dome isn't quite screen accurate in some of the "face" details, but is real metal, so looks much better.:gah:

I wanted to like the Tama R2, but 2 of the 3 domes on the display had seams too which bugged me

It's unlikely that the seam will still be visible on the production piece... then again, if these are true production pieces then I'd seriously consider cancelling my order.

I hope not. I'm gonna risk it and wait for in hand pictures. I really like the construction of it, feels really solid and well made (and before the die cast haters show up I also mean the ratchet joints etc too). Gonna hold off on ordering any R2s yet.

I have a feeling this is going to be the tallest R2 of the 3 in contest.

Let's see that, and those seams... or not seams... I am waiting for in hand pictures in the end.

Let's see that, and those seams... or not seams... I am waiting for in hand pictures in the end.

R2's height/volume is the key thing when you first look at 3PO and R2 together. The smaller details like seams etc are important but if it's another shorty R2 like the SSC one, it's not going to satisfy in the long run, even with a metal dome and amazing paint.

I got the Bandai guy to put 3po and R2 next to each other and to ME, R2 is too short compared to their 3PO.

I got the Bandai guy to put 3po and R2 next to each other and to ME, R2 is too short compared to their 3PO.

yeah... I did not say the Tama would be on scale, I said it may be the tallest of the 3 R2's from which we can choose.

Apparently the HT 3po is going to be a tad smaller than others so the HT duo may be on scale, as far as you don't pose them with other figures.

Another pic of the Tamashii:

image.jpg

I ignored the thread until today (I supposed people were still discussing ol' 3PO) and here it is after all these years! I just can't believe this will finally be produced.

yeah... I did not say the Tama would be on scale, I said it may be the tallest of the 3 R2's from which we can choose.

Apparently the HT 3po is going to be a tad smaller than others so the HT duo may be on scale, as far as you don't pose them with other figures.

Another pic of the Tamashii:

View attachment 336697

This looks so sweet to me. I'm still loving the rivets!

Back