Triad Toys Doing Zorro Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add Dexter to that list, and wasn't House somewhere in the mix too?

I had to google some of these dates-

Dexter license announced Jan 2010 (prototype shown February 2010 at ToyFair).
Dejah Thoris figure available for preorder September 2009 (with November 2009 estimated release date)
House MD license announced May 2009 (Teaser shown September 2009. Full prototype shown in February 2010 at Toyfair).
Kuroikage figure available for preorder August 2008 (with January 2009 estimated release date)

So yeah...one figure at almost 3 years, two at almost 2 years, and another at 1.5. These were just since prototypes were shown. Granted, Dexter needed reworking...that headsculpt was not well received.

Can you imagine the _____storm if Hot Toys took two years to release products regularly after showing prototypes? :lol

Last edited:
I had to google some of these dates-

Dexter license announced Jan 2010 (prototype shown ToyFair 2010).
Dejah Thoris figure available for preorder October 2009 (with November 2009 estimated release date)
Kuroikage figure available for preorder September 2009 (with January 2009 estimated release date)
House MD license announced May 2009 (as best I can tell announced at the 2009 Supercon with ToyFair 2010 prototype).

So yeah...at least 3 figures close to the 2 year mark and another at 1.5. Granted, Dexter needed reworking...that headsculpt was not well received.

Can you imagine the _____storm if Hot Toys took two years to release products regularly after showing prototypes? :lol

Hot Toys does make this game look easier than it really is, while Triad make it look infinitely harder than it really is :)

'hopefully soon' :lol

With all the other 1/6 goodness I'm having to try to budget for at the moment I couldn't care less about this figure anymore. I mean it'd be nice and all, but after Eva I'm not going to waste a second wondering if Triad will ever release this.

Yeah, that's where I'm at as well. If it was coming now, I'd seriously have to think about canceling the PO and hoping I could pick it up later.

Somewhere down the road it will be cool to have, but it's way down on the priority list.

Hot Toys does make this game look easier than it really is, while Triad make it look infinitely harder than it really is :)

Very true.

I did fix one of the entries. Kuroikage was available for preorder in August 2008. 3 years next month on that one. For a non-licensed figure.

I need to see if I can find some older pictures of House MD prior to February 2010 ToyFair. EDIT - found a teaser picture of House from September 2009.

EDIT again - found some even older dates for some of them.

Last edited:
Add Lone Wolf and Cub to their growing list of failed licences. That has been a no-show since Toy Fair 2010.

How is Traid still in business?

I realize it's probably a rhetorical question, but they do charge up front on preorders through their store. Not sure how they handle it with their vendors. Charging money up front for a product that may come out years later will definitely help keep you in business for awhile. It often ends up with disastrous results and this board has seen more than it's share of customizers fall into that pit.

Lone Wolf and Cub I hadn't followed. But I can find threads pointing to a license announcement in February 2009 with prototype pictures shown in February 2010 at ToyFair.

Of course, as this thread shows - Zorro was announced September 2009, prototype shown July 2010 (SDCC). A year later and still no release date in the future, going on the above posts that Triad's waiting on redesigning the EVO body (which itself was already in development for three years).

HERE WE GO . . . AGAIN . . .

;)

1. DEXTER is still pending approval from the licensor. Approvals are beyond the licensee's control. Not that it stop anyone on this forum or any other forum from complaining in the first place.

2. HOUSE MD is still pending approval from the licensor. Approvals are beyond the licensee's control. Not that it stop anyone on this forum or any other forum from complaining in the first place.

3. DEJAH THORIS is possibly undergoing a revision. Instead of the OTAKU body, she may be utilizing a ALPHA-OTAKU fusion/hybrid body. With the sneak peek/teaser trailer for the upcoming JOHN CARTER OF MARS film from Disney, I would not be surprised if the release date is changed . . . again.

4. KUROIKAGE too undergone changes. Louie posted some preliminary production photos of the head and outfit. Since the announcement from back then, a different factory is being utilized and the figure has undergone additional/more changes.

5. IIRC . . . Triad Toys unveiled a few LONE WOLF & CUB figures from the NY TOY FAIR 2011. I recollect Louie mentioning he planned to unveil the initial production prototype of the figure with baby cart at SDCC 2011, but I've found or seen no pictures, but I guess plans changed given the diorama/focus of the DEAD CELL figures based on their booth's diorama display.

6. Triad Toys has mentioned in the past (within their forum) if anyone wants to cancel their pre-orders and/or anyone got charged up front, then contact them and they'll address & resolve your issue(s).

7. As for ZORRO . . . he's undergoing a few tweaks based on an initial production sample received. The cool/interesting part about this is that Triad Toys is also going produce LADY RAWHIDE to compliment the ZORRO license.

Granted, posting this within this thread maybe an apparent waste of time given the obvious bias (justified & unjustified) by some, but hey . . . that's the benefit & wonder of the internet.

The preceding information is based on what has been discussed/posted at the Triad Toys Forum.

Last edited:
Hi DFC -

1 & 2) So we are told. I do recall Triad saying that they were having difficulty with both licences getting the expressions they wanted to use (similar to how SSC got overruled on Mace Windu by LFL's approval) Again, we're looking at a very long time on these two license approvals. These shouldn't be taking years to do. I think more of the hold up is that I think both figures were supposed to be on the EVO body.

3 & 4) Yes, again, as we were told by Triad. However, when you're looking at 2-3 years in development on a single figure, there comes a time when you have to ____ or get off the pot. "Revising" isn't always a good thing, and the EVA body suffered greatly from unecessary revisions which added to the delay. I don't expect either of these figures to be released any time soon as I don't think Triad has posted any pictures yet of the Alpha/Otaku hybrid.

5) Nope, they were first shown at the February 2010 ToyFair. You can see a shot of a couple of them in this page's coverage from 2010. Figure, baby & cart are right there... :

https://www.gamervision.com/users/coop/articles/triad_toys_to_make_ubisoft_licensed_products

6) They have. It's still a poor business practice to charge in full up front and generally leads to disaster. So far they are making it work, but I'm not letting anyone sit on my money for years while they eventually might get around to making a product.

Guess they are trying to challenge Enterbay for the slowest release time of stuff that might get released.

1 & 2) So we are told. I do recall Triad saying that they were having difficulty with both licences getting the expressions they wanted to use (similar to how SSC got overruled on Mace Windu by LFL's approval) Again, we're looking at a very long time on these two license approvals. These shouldn't be taking years to do. I think more of the hold up is that I think both figures were supposed to be on the EVO body.
--

Sideshow's ability to get licensor's approval compared to Triad Toys' approval to get licensor's approval are very different and people expecting it to be identical/same is unrealistic.

As for the hold up pertaining to the EVO body, that's a good guess considering how Triad is revising the EVO body for use with their upcoming JOHN CARTER and ZORRO figures as well for future male figures given the apparent issues with the EVO base body.

3 & 4) Yes, again, as we were told by Triad. However, when you're looking at 2-3 years in development on a single figure, there comes a time when you have to ____ or get off the pot. "Revising" isn't always a good thing, and the EVA body suffered greatly from unecessary revisions which added to the delay. I don't expect either of these figures to be released any time soon as I don't think Triad has posted any pictures yet of the Alpha/Otaku hybrid.
--

Triad has yet to post any pictures of the ALPHA/OTAKU fusion/hybrid. Louie mentioned it, but no pictures yet. For all we know . . . DEJAH could still end up with an OTAKU body.

5) Nope, they were first shown at the February 2010 ToyFair. You can see a shot of a couple of them in this page's coverage from 2010. Figure, baby & cart are right there... :

https://www.gamervision.com/users/coop/articles/triad_toys_to_make_ubisoft_licensed_products
--

My bad. I got the date/year wrong.

:)

6) They have. It's still a poor business practice to charge in full up front and generally leads to disaster. So far they are making it work, but I'm not letting anyone sit on my money for years while they eventually might get around to making a product.
--

Has Triad Toys experienced problems? Absolutely. There is no denying it. Here is the thing though . . . if collectors are still upset about being charged up front for pre-orders and the item has yet to materialize, then did the affected parties call Triad Toys and obtain a refund? Are they REFUSING a refund?

CAN ANYONE WITHOUT A DOUBT CONFIRM OR DENY THIS?

If being charged for a pre-order does not suit your needs, then don't pre-order. Order it when it's officially out on hand.

Maybe we all got spoiled with Sideshow's policies and practices, but then again . . . not everyone may agree with all of Sideshow's policies & practices either.

Guess they are trying to challenge Enterbay for the slowest release time of stuff that might get released.

At least the final product Enterbay delivers is superb. Léon will their first licence in which I have even a remote interest, but the figures I have seen to date look outstanding.

Sideshow's ability to get licensor's approval compared to Triad Toys' approval to get licensor's approval are very different and people expecting it to be identical/same is unrealistic.

Right, it is always someone else's fault with Triad, never their chronic mismanagement. I hope they pay you for ridiculous apologetics like that.

Triad has consistently failed to work with a diverse group of licensors ranging from ___anese artists who own the rights to their characters to large corporations with established marketing departments. Every other toy company seems to be able to navigate that world, except Triad.

Has anyone heard when they will hit the states? Last update I received from one distributor is they stopped asking Triad when they will arrive because they are so far off their approach is now they are here when they are delivered. A second told me they are held up in customs and should arrive in a week or two. That was almost 8 weeks ago.

BBTS says:

"PREORDER
3rd Quarter 2011".

Wonder how many times they will reset the ship date.

It's probably going to arrive in September, but it'll probably start shipping out in October.

I love triad stuff but I don't bother pre-ordering. I take my chances that I can pick it up from a secondary retailer pretty easily. Had no real problems with this approach so far.

Back