Twilight of the Gods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alatar

Super Freak
Reaction score
This is an animated Netflix series based on ancient Norse mythology created by Zack Snyder and animator Jay Oliva. It consists of 8 episodes each about 30 minutes. Snyder directed episodes 1 and 6.

I appreciate what’s being done with this series. I’m at episode 6 and plan to watch the last two episodes tonight. It uses some basic RPG gaming motifs of assembling an adventuring party and progressive quests and sets it within something more like the actual Norse mythology than the Marvelized version (and don’t get me wrong, I do love me some MCU Asgard!).

The animation itself is drawn in a style that I like. It creates an appropriately trippy sort of heavily stylized fantasy landscape. It almost seems to fuse a kind of Disney vibe for drawing the characters (e.g., the bard or skald character Egill) into something like Samurai Jack. (Not that I know that much about anime, I know very little so take that with a grain of salt.)

The sex in it I’m eh about. I don’t think it really adds much. Honestly, I think the story could easily do without it. It doesn’t really add anything to the story that makes it feel more compelling to me. And it feels a bit gratuitous. But it’s certainly not a deal breaker for me either. At the end of the day it’s fine to have it in there. Whatever.

The graphic violence… sadly, I suppose… is also something I’m more or less indifferent towards. Movies and TV have desensitized us to imagery that would actually be truly horrific and traumatizing in real life. Viewers are engaging in the fantasy of violence. I guess given that the series did stimulate me to reflect about that there’s something positive to it.

I like that in some sense it flips the roles of Thor and Loki that we have come to appreciate from the Marvel universe. That’s fun. And perhaps truer to the source material.

The series is definitely holding my interest. I don’t regard it as any sort of anime masterpiece. But it’s genuinely interesting to me. B+

Last edited:
Back