What Surround Sound System to get?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

915stag51

Super Freak
Reaction score
I am in the process of building a media room, what sound system do you guys recommend?

i went with a Bose mostly because it was there when i purcased my tv and i wanted small rear speakers and it's delivered for me.
though i've also heard you can get better for less also.:duh

I'd skip the bose stuff . . .

What is your budget and room size? Bookshelf or floor standing speakers?

I have a Bose Lifestyle system, and it's all the sound I need. Blu-Rays sound awesome!

I'm sure you can spend more, or less... but I've never had any complaints or regrets.

I need models fellas, the room is 16 x 14, I have it framed up and ready for wiring, I was gonna look into buying a projector but I got a 55 inch HD LCD for x-mas so i'm going with that, as for budget I have about 1k to work with.....So if you guys can give me models and price tags, that would be great...

How about a product page link? :D

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/Denon+...stem/9342071.p?id=1218088196263&skuId=9342071

My parents just got this for my wife and I as a Christmas present. I have it hooked into my DirecTV HD, XBOX 360 and PS3 (for Blu-Rays), and it sounds incredible!!

At $600, this was a bargain for me (well...my parents actually) because it was just the sound system. All of the Sony and Panasonic ones at the store had BD players built into the receiver, which I didn't need. Plus they cost $100-200 more! It has three HDMI inputs, which allows for satellite and two game consoles. Lastly, it comes with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA capability, so I'm getting the most out of my Blu-Rays.

Wow man, that one looks good and I walked right by it last week, I gotta take a closer look at it...I was listening to a Bose 5 speaker setup they had at bestbuy, and I gotta say it sounds amazing, the price tag said $1,330, does anyone have this setup and is it worth every penny?

Wow man, that one looks good and I walked right by it last week, I gotta take a closer look at it...I was listening to a Bose 5 speaker setup they had at bestbuy, and I gotta say it sounds amazing, the price tag said $1,330, does anyone have this setup and is it worth every penny?

My wife bought me a Bose Lifestyle 5.1 system two years ago for Christmas. I think she paid around $1700 CDN at Sam's Club. I can't recall the model number... I think it`s Lifestyle 18. It has 5 individual cube speakers, a sub, and a DVD + AM/FM Tuner built in.

When I first opened it, I was a little shocked that it didn't have a HDMI connection, and thought I'd have to return it for something else. I`ve owned monster systems in the past, and this didn`t look like much to me. After reading the instructions, I learned that you can rig it to use HD cables.

I use it with a 55`Sony, in a 20 foot square room, with excellent results. I have my HDPVR, PS3-Blu-Ray and Sirius Satellite Stiletto connected to it... and they all sound awesome!

The remote that comes with it controls virtually everything, other than the play options on the PVR hardrive. I just bought a Logitech universal Harmony remote, which controls it all.

I would avoid the "Home Theatre in a box" stuff. Get individual components, they are easily upgradeable and sound better.

I have an Onyko 7.1 receiver (model number **603X**) paired with Athena speakers (1 center, 2 floor standing for fronts, and 4 rear bookshelf's mounted to the wall).

I like the Onkyo receiver and it's easy user interface.

I would absolutely avoid Yamaha receiver's, most confusing user interface ever. I think you either have to be a genius or partially retarded to understand the settings and how to navigate the setup.

I upgraded my previous system, which is now in my bedroom and it has an all-digital Panasonic 5.1 receiver and a mixture of Cerwin Vega and Athena speakers. I really like the digital Panasonic receiver, sounds fantastic, maybe even better than the Onkyo receiver, and cost about half as much.

All my speakers I got when sears was having a 50-75% off clearance of their electronics section (this was when got rid of component stuff and went to strictly Home theatre in a box, Bad move Sears), and again when Best Buy was clearancing out their stereo stuff to make room in their store for the more upscale Home Theatre department which included musical instruments, about 2-3 years ago.

I went a little crazy wit the deals, and still have speakers I'm not using. I was getting $300 speakers for less than $100. My backyard also has outdoor weatherized Athena's that can crank up the music and are great for pool music.

I'm not to crazy bout mixing and matching equipment, but that's just me, anyone else have Bose in their crib?

I'm not to crazy bout mixing and matching equipment, but that's just me, anyone else have Bose in their crib?

I've always found that you can get great sound out of mix and match equipment, but you're constantly tweaking EQs, amps, crossovers etc.

With Bose, it's all designed to work together for ease of use. It's basically a plug and play unit. You'll set it once, and that's it.

I've always found that you can get great sound out of mix and match equipment, but you're constantly tweaking EQs, amps, crossovers etc.

With Bose, it's all designed to work together for ease of use. It's basically a plug and play unit. You'll set it once, and that's it.

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for, a system I can just set once and enjoy for years, I just want to be sure Bose can deliver.....

I completed my home theatre room just about 3 months ago and was on a moderate budget, I went with Denon [AVR-790] 7.1 CH A/V Home Theater Multi-Source/Multi-Zone Receiver and Polk Audio speakers (very pleased with the speakers)...

....but one of the most important things is your receiver; you would like at least HDMI 1.3a and audio pass through on the HDMI, some models don't so be careful, this denon does and does it incredibly, I believe I got the best bang for my buck.

Here is a flash tour of the receiver I own Denon AVR-790.

It's not just about the surround sound, it's about the receiver and the amp that you get. The amp is not necessary unless you run a high end surround sound system (like me ;)) The receiver, if not very strong of an output, is going to make your speakers seem like crap, even if they are bose, like in my car.

I run Paradigm and they are amazing. My center channel alone booms and my sub has separate controls so I can turn them up and down and off whenever I want. I need that because well, I have neighbors and I still like the boom at night.

So, I'd say, if your budget is large then go for something large, including the receiver. If you can afford around 1500-2000 get an amp for it too. Other than that, just pick something up off the shelf that will suffice if you aren't able to spend a bundle.

Paradigm, Bose, Infinity...etc. All good.

Unless the Bose setup comes with an active 'powered' sub, avoid it. Their passive subs blow. I bought one of their higher end 5.1 systems a couple of years back, and the sub was just pathetic. I added a 12" JBL sub on top of it, and now the overall sound is pretty impressive.

Back