Balrog Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think thats the point of the line. I think its supposed to be their take and something you can mix in with those pieces.

I totally get that concept, but how do you mix in an Aragorn as strider with an Aragorn as Strider piece, or a Legolas with bow with Legolas with bow other than replace it? **WETA bashing opportunity**
The ones that make sense for 'integrating' are the likes of Eomer, Eowyn, Orc Lieutenant (Skully). But I also understand that this is a great chance for those new to collecting LOTR to start off a complete set of the most popular scale figures, hence the early introduction of main characters. Lets have a 'B' lister announced soon :)

For those already hooked on certain lines though, I maintain this range should not be the only one with a complete Fellowship :lol

I think the mixing in is quite easy really. You buy it and display it. It's that simple really. It's another version or variation on a character. If folks look at it ad a way to replace that's cool. Not how I approach it or would if I still had those pieces though.

As far as Weta bashing I'm not into that at all. I like them and their product. I'm sure we'll get a "B" lister but they'll be mixed in like they should be.

I think the mixing in is quite easy really. You buy it and display it. It's that simple really. It's another version or variation on a character. If folks look at it ad a way to replace that's cool. Not how I approach it or would if I still had those pieces though.

As far as Weta bashing I'm not into that at all. I like them and their product. I'm sure we'll get a "B" lister but they'll be mixed in like they should be.

Mixing in was really only ever going to be my plan for the maquette line, however, I'm not so sure your simple 'buy it, display it', will totally work.

If you take the new Gandalf one, I really can't see that 'fitting' in with say other SSW statues. Displaying him (with that large and different base), next too say, Sam & Bill, Bilbo or Merry or even Boromir.

So right now, I have some fears that Arwen and any future Faramir just may not work out that well and really, SS consider this new line to be a whole new and separate start.

Watching SS destroy Weta kinda reminds me of watching my Germans destroy England last week in the World Cup. Sure I got a perverse joy in watching England get trounced, but I actually started to feel sorry for them near the end...OK, I'm lying :lol

Both companies, Weta and Sideshow, have their hits and misses. Lord knows I've done my fair share of complaining about some of Sideshows questionable offerings. Although I'm not shy in my critique of certain items, I'm very thankful that both companies offer a wide range of LOTR collectibles to suit a particular taste. I'm very excited about how the re-energized Weta environment line is shaping up and I'm really interested in seeing where the Sideshow maquette line might be heading. With that said, I think bashing one company relentlessly is unfair and uncalled for. Without Weta we would not have the LOTR films we enjoy today, and some of their more memorable collectible items from previous years as well. The folks at Weta are constantly engaging their fans, asking for input, and have so far have made good on their word to deliver what we've asked for. Why anyone would find pleasure in seeing an effects company like Weta get "destroyed" by a collectible company like Sideshow is beyond me. The two companies compliment each other, and to think otherwise demonstrates short-sightedness. And quite frankly I'd have to agree with my friend Jon when I say that the unnecessary shots at Weta is getting old.

I didn't have you down as a 'basher', more of a pit bull type in that once you get your teeth into something you give it a good shake up and stick to it. That was a prompt for those who like to score points in the imaginary SS vs Weta game :lol

The point I suppose is that a lot of established collectors seem to want the unmade characters coming through quicker than re-visualizations of one's made in plenty of formats already. We're spoilt for choice at the moment :wink1:

Mixing in was really only ever going to be my plan for the maquette line, however, I'm not so sure your simple 'buy it, display it', will totally work.

If you take the new Gandalf one, I really can't see that 'fitting' in with say other SSW statues. Displaying him (with that large and different base), next too say, Sam & Bill, Bilbo or Merry or even Boromir.

So right now, I have some fears that Arwen and any future Faramir just may not work out that well and really, SS consider this new line to be a whole new and separate start.

I guess I have to disagree. The will all work. Its LOTR. You just set up a nice display and let it go. It would be a collection that I think will show the great variety of the characters. That there is more to them than just one look.

Whatever new maquette they make won't hold a candle (so to speak) to the Daddy 'Rog. :lecture

Possibly. Its all about the piece and if it looks good. If done right it can be equally as nice on display. That is the big thing.

I didn't have you down as a 'basher', more of a pit bull type in that once you get your teeth into something you give it a good shake up and stick to it. That was a prompt for those who like to score points in the imaginary SS vs Weta game :lol

I guess. I'm not afraid to put everything out there and make my point. Especially if I have enough Data at hand to really go with it. :lol

The point I suppose is that a lot of established collectors seem to want the unmade characters coming through quicker than re-visualizations of one's made in plenty of formats already. We're spoilt for choice at the moment :wink1:

I understand that. Hell, at one time I had almost every version in the SSW line, owned the big three, etc. However, I don't mind seeing new versions done of my favorite characters. Plus as I've said before you gotta get the line going with established ones before tossing out random solider #567. There are exceptions like Lurtz but there has to be a method to the madness.

I understand SS's approach to this line, but for me it is only for fill in characters; I already own 3 Balrog representations and don't need another.

............And quite frankly I'd have to agree with my friend Jon when I say that the unnecessary shots at Weta is getting old.

:goodpost: :1-1:

What i don't get is that Woodsy has a few Weta items in his collection, but obviously has something against them. Maybe he's jealous that Weta actually interact with their fans whereas Sideshow are no-where to be seen on this forum any more.
Yes, Sideshow and Weta compliment each other. They used to be business partners for goodness sake! I'm very happy that Sideshow came back to LOTR collectibles and think the diorama line fits in perfectly with the SSW statues. And now i'm very excited to see what they do with the maquette line, but GTG is quite a poor attempt in my opinion and is easily bettered by the SSW statue and the SS PF. But i look forward to the next in the series - Legolas in particular looks promising.

SS still interacts with us. Dusty and Chicky are quite interactive as are Tim, Trevor, and Andy. Might not be as much as the past because they're much bigger and the general lack of respect shown by some towards SS. Which seemed to be ok by so many that complain about shots being taken at other companies. I'll be curious to see as Weta gets bigger as a collectibles company is they will have the time to be there as much as they are now. My guess is they'll have to be like SS which means still have interaction but it will be scaled back as much on a forum.

I understand SS's approach to this line, but for me it is only for fill in characters; I already own 3 Balrog representations and don't need another.

I dont own one, and Im not paying ~ $1300 for the Weta piece, so I hope SS knocks the Weta version out of the park :monkey3

I dont own one, and Im not paying ~ $1300 for the Weta piece, so I hope SS knocks the Weta version out of the park :monkey3

I'm sure they'll give it a go, and any statue of the balrog is gonna be awesome, even represented upside down and falling :D
I just think that it's gonna be hard to beat seeing as Weta created the actual creature for the film. :dunno

I'm sure they'll give it a go, and any statue of the balrog is gonna be awesome, even represented upside down and falling :D
I just think that it's gonna be hard to beat seeing as Weta created the actual creature for the film. :dunno

I agree. All the Rog versions we've seen from SS/Weta have been awesome! The Dio is even pretty cool. Got a chance to see it again at Wetanuts house and I got the urge to go after it and order it. Haven't yet though. The original rog will always hold a special place for awesomeness.

I just don't dig the clear flames, I hope SS doesn't go that route. :pray:

See I kind of like that. I wouldn't mind seeing the Original Rog with that. Something about it is pretty cool.

no no no! one of the things i like the look of from the Weta statue is the sculpted flames. You can really admire the craftmanship that went into it, they look really impressive and i wants it! :gollum: :drool

no no no! one of the things i like the look of from the Weta statue is the sculpted flames. You can really admire the craftmanship that went into it, they look really impressive and i wants it! :gollum: :drool

I agree it looks cool and you can tell there's work that went into it. I'm also a fan of the other method though and am not opposed to doing something that way.

I guess I have to disagree. The will all work. Its LOTR. You just set up a nice display and let it go. It would be a collection that I think will show the great variety of the characters. That there is more to them than just one look.

yeah, see I'm not so sure at this stage.

For example, my current display:
4428834948_57d5f8a60f_d.jpg

Now replace that Gandalf with the new SS one, (assuming it would even fit height wise, which I don't think it would), and to me I just have a feeling it would look totally out of place.

So now one is left with putting him somewhere else, on his own, but now it's no longer a 'fill in' or nice mix and match. So sure, some may well fit better then others, Aragorn for example and who knows, the Balrog one, but overall, I didn't think at this stage it's a total done deal.

I guess its how you choose to look at it and approach the mixing in as you display things. I think in a nice display it can be done and look just fine. I get what you're saying in that for you it might not but for me personally I don't see it being an issues for looking odd.

Back