Cobra Trooper is up! Use this link!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thats all SSC needs is another reason the boost prices $20. Hey look at the great new boots!

I wouldnt mind a $10 increase, since thats what i usually have to pay for a new set of boots to replace the caca Sideshow ones.

Newline boots are usually between $15-$20.

And it wouldnt be for every figure they make, but some figures like Snake Eyes or CC need better boots.

Not to mention just looking better, but the added ankle articulation is so much better with material boots.

ssc doesn't fear milking the price when they add new features. IMO the addition of a better body should not have meant a $25-30 price increase, neither should boots, but this is SSC we're talking about. You'd have $125 Cobra troopers. Not worth it for me.

SSC raises figure prices $10 for no reason. When they actually have a reason its usually $25...:lol

ssc doesn't fear milking the price when they add new features. IMO the addition of a better body should not have meant a $25-30 price increase, neither should boots, but this is SSC we're talking about. You'd have $125 Cobra troopers. Not worth it for me.

It actually makes sense when you consider that in the 3 3/4" category, we're paying $7-$10 for 25th Anniversary figures that back in the day were $5. Inflation is a part of life. Cost goes up. It's a failed business concept to keep prices the same when your costs are increasing. You'd do better to argue that Medicom and HT are TOO expensive. :rolleyes:

It actually makes sense when you consider that in the 3 3/4" category, we're paying $7-$10 for 25th Anniversary figures that back in the day were $5. Inflation is a part of life. Cost goes up. It's a failed business concept to keep prices the same when your costs are increasing. You'd do better to argue that Medicom and HT are TOO expensive. :rolleyes:

that old argument again...we've been over this. While your ideas are correct, I don't think it fully applies to SSC. Their increased price is also due to their strategic decision to cut back production as well as full on profit mongering(not that there is anything wrong with that, but as a consumer I don't have to, and haven't, blindy go along with it [I've cut back my purchases significantly in the last year]).

SSC if they chose could have spread the cost of investment in the Prometheus over a longer term. I'm sorry but I just don't see the Prometheus being a justified increase of $25 over the Buck. It certainly would not have been that much if along with the change they didn't also cut production of figures by as much as 50%.

Anyway this argument is old. Some people accept price increases regardless of whether they're as much as 50-75% in 3 years as routine. Some don't. Personally, I would like to avoid any more excuses for SSC to raise prices for a while. You know if it cost SSC an extra $10 in production cost make better shoes they are gonna mark their profit margin on that and I'm just saying the next major upgrade SSC does to their figures will boost prices by at least $20-25...not $10.

Hell, they already marked up something most of us always considered "included" in the price by now charging $5-10 for the exclusive.

that old argument again...we've been over this. While your ideas are correct, I don't think it fully applies to SSC. Their increased price is also due to their strategic decision to cut back production as well as full on profit mongering(not that there is anything wrong with that, but as a consumer I don't have to, and haven't, blindy go along with it [I've cut back my purchases significantly in the last year]).

So you know this for a fact?! Didn't think so. FYI, when you lower a production run, per unit, the cost goes up. But you already know this.

SSC if they chose could have spread the cost of investment in the Prometheus over a longer term. I'm sorry but I just don't see the Prometheus being a justified increase of $25 over the Buck. It certainly would not have been that much if along with the change they didn't also cut production of figures by as much as 50%.

Not gonna happen. They're scaling back on 1:6, in case you haven't already noticed, so spreading out the cost investment is irrelevant.

Anyway this argument is old. Some people accept price increases regardless of whether they're as much as 50-75% in 3 years as routine. Some don't. Personally, I would like to avoid any more excuses for SSC to raise prices for a while. You know if it cost SSC an extra $10 in production cost make better shoes they are gonna mark their profit margin on that and I'm just saying the next major upgrade SSC does to their figures will boost prices by at least $20-25...not $10.

This will be valid when the finished pieces don't justify the price. To date there hasn't been a single Joe release that hasn't. And with the improved quality of the Star Wars figures, the end justifies the means there as well.

Hell, they already marked up something most of us always considered "included" in the price by now charging $5-10 for the exclusive.

Last time I checked, 99.9% of businesses pass the cost onto the consumer. It's good business. If you don't want to fork out the extra cash for the exclusive, which if I remember correctly - in just about every case you haven't, don't buy it and don't ^^^^^ about it.

we need to remember that they are also making small edition sizes ..... witch is also the reson the price went up

So you know this for a fact?! Didn't think so. FYI, when you lower a production run, per unit, the cost goes up. But you already know this.

Not gonna happen. They're scaling back on 1:6, in case you haven't already noticed, so spreading out the cost investment is irrelevant.

This will be valid when the finished pieces don't justify the price. To date there hasn't been a single Joe release that hasn't. And with the improved quality of the Star Wars figures, the end justifies the means there as well.

Last time I checked, 99.9% of businesses pass the cost onto the consumer. It's good business. If you don't want to fork out the extra cash for the exclusive, which if I remember correctly - in just about every case you haven't, don't buy it and don't ^^^^^ about it.

I agree, Sideshow really needs to make some better boots for their figures; and cloth boots shouldn't warrant a price increase.
Look at the phenomenal things done by DID. I can buy a 1:6 Samurai with accurately threaded real metal armor, accurately patterned Kimonos, metal swords, and embroidered surcoats for the same price as Duke. Now, I'll admit that GI Joe licensing should add quite a bit to the price but, Duke or any other GI Joe figure isn't nearly as elaborate and complex as a DID Samurai so I don't think asking for cloth boots should cost additional money.

I'd spend an extra $15 at the most on a Cobra Trooper with real cloth boots, but Snake Eyes and Duke feel a little overpriced without them.

i was pretty much the first person to mention how cutting back edition sizes is a major cause of rising prices when most people said it was stuff like the price of tea in china or something. :lol

But thats SSC's strategic decision. I can care less if there were 1,000 or 10,000 items. I don't anticipate selling my items down the road, so I'd rather have the cost savings up front. They didn't go bankrupt in the old model. I have a right to ^^^^^ and complain if I want to. I'm a fan of theirs. I'm not doing it to be a prick. I certainly have spoken with my wallet. Aside from a recent splurge on the Hastings sale I have cut my purchases down DRAMATICALLY. At least I consider spending half this year compared to prior years pretty dramatic. And I'm even doing fine economically.

I'm sure my statistic is somewhere in SSC's market research, but I'm voicing it here too.

The hyperbole of "businesses that make money do this" is lost on me considering SSC used to make money under their old ways including free exclusives, value pricing, etc.

I want improvements, but at some point, IMO, SSC needs to say that their making improvements to compete with other companies and keep the prices reasonable.

Personally, I agree that Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander have been great...but if they weren't licensed GI Joe products I think its debateble whether they were value priced compared to other brands that make military products.

Last edited:
The hyperbole of "businesses that make money do this" is lost on me considering SSC used to make money under their old ways including free exclusives, value pricing, etc.

When you successfully run your own business, which produces what are considered luxury items aka expendable items, in a failing economy I'll give you credit there. Until that happens, no. :lol

do you feel better now

Do you? You basically pulled a MaulFan and reiterated a point that the both of us had already made as if you had something significantly more important to add. :dunno :lol

When you successfully run your own business, which produces what are considered luxury items aka expendable items, in a failing economy I'll give you credit there. Until that happens, no. :lol

Well I do help run the finances of a entity with $900 million worth of annual expenditures so I understand a little bit about economics, cost based accounting and financial management. :banana

:lol I think he has a hard on.

Only for you baby. Can't help it though, I get a hardon for ^^^^^. :p

Well I do help run the finances of a entity with $900 million worth of annual expenditures so I understand a little bit about economics, cost based accounting and financial management. :banana

Still doesn't mean ^^^^. Sideshow's whole is counting on the sales of expendable items in a failing economy. So expecting them to offer freebies and value pricing, when collectors are chopping preorders like loggers do trees, is a huge fail on your part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back