English Premier League EPL Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id have to agree. I know you hate him but I prefer Nani. Atleast he has something about him and is a bit more unpredictable and has a goal .

I think the better option would be to give Zaha a run and see how he does.

He has the perfect mentor in Ryan Giggs ( football wise at least :wink1: ) so if he can't learn from him and develop into a top class player then he probably hasn't got "it".

I would also give Adnan Januzaj a go....new signings clearly aren't happening so they may as well start looking at some of the kids and give them some Premier League experience now instead of continuing to try and get something resembling quality from Valencia, Nani & Young.

Last edited:
I would actually class it as "just another England game".

If the FA had any dignity they would disband the national side and save the country from further embarrassment.

Hey corsair, I forgot to follow up with you on this.

England won the World Cup in 1966 and their best performance since was a semi-final appearance in 1990. That's it! Also they've never won the Euros.

From afar, it seems like the UK produces good players. So my question is why can't the national team put it together and make a serious run? What's gone wrong?

The EPL is where its gone wrong. See the no of so called 'English' players who start for most of the clubs in the league. EPL is a foreigners haven. And most club's youth teams have more foreign scouted players as top performers. English talent hasnt been groomed or developed with a team first mentality and with a strong basic technique. One of the only few who broke that mould have been Paul Scholes and Steven Gerrard IMO.

Wayne Rooney is probably the best frontman England have had since Linekar, but the organisation behind him has been poor...

So a huge lack of technically strong players has resulted in this situation. Gazza at one point was the last skillfull player England had. How many since have had that kind of skill?

Hey corsair, I forgot to follow up with you on this.

England won the World Cup in 1966 and their best performance since was a semi-final appearance in 1990. That's it! Also they've never won the Euros.

From afar, it seems like the UK produces good players. So my question is why can't the national team put it together and make a serious run? What's gone wrong?

They also got to a European Championship semi-final as host nation in 1996.

I feel the trouble we have in producing good national teams is due to varying factors such as,

1.The FA's coaching philosophies are woefully out of date.

Right from grass roots level our coaches tend to favor an honest grafter with a strong physical presence over someone who's better equipped technically.

This was fine 30-40 years ago but the game has moved on since then and if you look at any modern England game one of the biggest weaknesses is the lack of players who're capable of keeping possession and moving it around with pinpoint accuracy in the same way as the better continental teams do.

Retaining possession is a basic requirement of any team if it's going to be successful but this seems lost on the morons within the national coaching setup.

Every so often a technically gifted player will make it through the system and thrive at club level but they get picked for England and either get played completely out of position or have their ability to influence a game neutered because they're surrounded by several players that aren't on the same wavelength.

As good as an individual can be, one player never makes a team and England never have enough technically gifted players at any one time.

Planks like Gareth Barry or Andy Carroll are textbook examples of the FA's ideal player....they should really be aiming to produce more players in the mold of Paul Scholes or Steven Gerrard.

2.The media.
Every time a half decent Engish player emerges they instantly get hyped up as the next "savior" and then they rip them to shreds the first time they falter.

This isn't helped by the FA's penchant for fast tracking players into the national setup long before they've even fully established themselves at club level....Everton's Ross Barkley is the latest to get that treatment.

3.The number of foreign imports in our leagues has lessened the chances for home grown talent to emerge.

The FA only see the money from TV rights that having big names from abroad in the Premier League brings which was fine in the early years but as time as gone on it's obviously contributed to the increasing decline of the national side.

The only way England could ever hope to compete again is by throwing all their present coaching philosophies out and starting again from scratch as well as severely limiting the number of foreign players allowed at each club.

Employing some decent coaches would help as well....the new Under 21 coach is a no hoper called Gareth Southgate who's biggest moment was missing a penalty against Germany in the 1996 semi-final.

He was an average player and a terrible club manager yet the FA think this makes him qualified for the job of running the Under 21's :cuckoo:

The EPL is where its gone wrong. See the no of so called 'English' players who start for most of the clubs in the league. EPL is a foreigners haven. And most club's youth teams have more foreign scouted players as top performers. English talent hasnt been groomed or developed with a team first mentality and with a strong basic technique. One of the only few who broke that mould have been Paul Scholes and Steven Gerrard IMO.

Wayne Rooney is probably the best frontman England have had since Linekar, but the organisation behind him has been poor...

So a huge lack of technically strong players has resulted in this situation. Gazza at one point was the last skillfull player England had. How many since have had that kind of skill?

I think Lampard deserves a mention too but your right. And for me, it runs much deeper than that right through to the academies. Also I think England as a country in terms of football education is 10 or more years behind. It has always been 4,4,2 and little man big man..... where as the education abroad is so much more advanced especially on developing skills at an individual level. also with that, when we do get a promising decent english player, clubs demand way over the top prices so prem managers shop abroad as they can get a similar player far cheaper. Its a vicious circle that needs addressing soon . Not only will we never win anything, we will soon n struggle to get there in the first place.

I think the better option would be to give Zaha a run and see how he does.

He has the perfect mentor in Ryan Giggs ( football wise at least :wink1: ) so if he can't learn from him and develop into a top class player then he probably hasn't got "it".

I would also give Adnan Januzaj a go....new signings clearly aren't happening so they may as well start looking at some of the kids and give them some Premier League experience now instead of continuing to try and get something resembling quality from Valencia, Nani & Young.

Yeah maybe. Im not sure Moyes fancies Zaha. Deserves a chance though.
United Liverpool in the cup. Moyes via Fergie will probably say it was fixed lol.
Also rumoured to be Suarez's comeback match. Could be spicy lol

Some action last night

firstly Spanish Super Cup second leg between Barcelona & Atletico Madrid.
Dull dull match, very physical game by Atletico. Messi's first match after his injury 2 weeks back in the first leg. Highlight was Messi and Neymar starting together.
Atletico finally got a red card late in the game, Messi got a penalty late in the game, but hit it off the post. Draw 0:0 and Barca won the cup due to the away goals rule. In a way Neymar's goal in the first leg ended up being the decider

Secondly Barca wonderkid Gerard Deulofeu now on loan at Everton scored his first goal for Everton in the Cup! Great to see him, interesting fact, although from La Masia his playing style as well as attitude is more like Christiano Ronaldo. He has been disciplined by the coaches at the youth levels time and time for showing a lot of arrogance and petulance but when he explodes he explodes... very Christiano like Goal.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcskUYtSrms[/ame]

Some action last night

firstly Spanish Super Cup second leg between Barcelona & Atletico Madrid.
Dull dull match, very physical game by Atletico. Messi's first match after his injury 2 weeks back in the first leg. Highlight was Messi and Neymar starting together.
Atletico finally got a red card late in the game, Messi got a penalty late in the game, but hit it off the post. Draw 0:0 and Barca won the cup due to the away goals rule. In a way Neymar's goal in the first leg ended up being the decider

Secondly Barca wonderkid Gerard Deulofeu now on loan at Everton scored his first goal for Everton in the Cup! Great to see him, interesting fact, although from La Masia his playing style as well as attitude is more like Christiano Ronaldo. He has been disciplined by the coaches at the youth levels time and time for showing a lot of arrogance and petulance but when he explodes he explodes... very Christiano like Goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcskUYtSrms

Lots of players nowadays model their game around how Ronaldo plays, however not many can pull it off. Best is probably Bale but now that he is almost a Madrid player I do not really like him.

Hes been like that even before Ronaldo became one of the top players... for players who are not naturally skillful, they tend to follow that similar style of power and pace play. Ronaldo himself is a throwback to the style of his country legend Eusebio. Power and Pace and strength that was biggest traits.

Bale however is a shameful ripoff... he didnt 'mimic' Ronaldo in his pre and early Tottenham days... its just recently he is just shamefully copying him. That freekick routine and stand specially is the worst of the lot...

Hes been like that even before Ronaldo became one of the top players... for players who are not naturally skillful, they tend to follow that similar style of power and pace play. Ronaldo himself is a throwback to the style of his country legend Eusebio. Power and Pace and strength that was biggest traits.

Bale however is a shameful ripoff... he didnt 'mimic' Ronaldo in his pre and early Tottenham days... its just recently he is just shamefully copying him. That freekick routine and stand specially is the worst of the lot...

Yeah, the free-kick stand really get to me.

Last edited:
Bad bad UCL draw... Milan AGAIN!! Man its horrible to watch these games with teams parking the bus all over the place...
Barca, Milan, Ajax, Celtic... this season's group of Death

Arsenal has the next toughest group. Rest of the groups have clear favourites who should qualify easily...

Poor Celtic :rotfl

Celtic are in a no win situation.

They can't improve in Europe unless they move to the Premier League and get used to playing better opposition on a regular basis and that's not going to happen any time soon.

The only other way they could have a chance of building a decent team is if some Abramovich like figure comes along and hands them lots of cash but that's also not likely as the Scottish League has nothing like the same brand appeal to prospective buyers as the Premier League and the standard of football isn't strong enough to intrest any top players either.

By now their fans are probably resigned to their European status, much as I am with United's which is all the more frustrating given that they have the financial resources and brand recognition to build a team capable of challenging for the trophy.

I won't be watching United's CL games this year because it'll be all over once the knockout stage starts....assuming the Gollum lookalike that succeeded Fergie can even manage to get them out of the group phase.

Poor Arsenal. Higuain is going to come back & haunt AW

Still no sign of anyone decent signing for Arsenal. Spurs are looking more & more scary, hope they have a great season. I like teams who show ambition & trying to improve. This could be there year if not its coming. Just depends on how long it takes for there team to gel.

@axecutioner18

Have you check this guy out? He's in Barca's Youth Academy and I must say, he's incredible. Korean Messi

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMm0_kO1wKc[/ame]

Well if you are a foreigner in La Masia you have to be pretty damn good as La Masia's policy is to take in 70% ONLY from the Catalan Region the rest 25% from Spain and the other 5% from the rest of the world. Even Balotelli, Christian Eriksen were not taken in as the foreigner quota had no openings

And again last nights action!

BEST SUPER CUP EVER!

Mou again has to blame the referees and luck etc etc... forgets thats how Chelsea won the CL in the first place. But what a crazy crazy heartattack inducing game!

Back