Executive Replicas 2001 Space Odyssey Astronauts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually the working LCD screens cost about $15 each, for 1.27 inches square.
Take a look here: Adafruit 1.44 Color TFT LCD Display with MicroSD Card breakout [ST7735R] ID: 2088 - $14.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
The problem would be connecting all six screens to some sort of memory storage and control chip, which would act as a jpeg slideshow display and cycle the images at different time intervals on each screen. The power could just run from a wall socket plug. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult for someone who knows about such things, but I do not.

How cool would that be though??? You could open the rear hatch and see the six screens changing images every few seconds as in the film, along with all the other control button lights... I'll talk about this with the company and see what they say. Interior lighting is already confirmed, I just don't know how elaborate they're planning to make it.

Last edited:
Oh man.........

That would be a level I've never even conceived of. Keep us posted!

Any scoop on the kind of lights they will be using for the front of the pod by the arms? LEDs? The bulbs seen in the proto?

Just curious.

Actually the working LCD screens cost about $15 each, for 1.27 inches square.
Take a look here: Adafruit 1.44 Color TFT LCD Display with MicroSD Card breakout [ST7735R] ID: 2088 - $14.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
The problem would be connecting all six screens to some sort of memory storage and control chip, which would act as a jpeg slideshow display and cycle the images at different time intervals on each screen. The power could just run from a wall socket plug. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult for someone who knows about such things, but I do not.

How cool would that be though??? You could open the rear hatch and see the six screens changing images every few seconds as in the film, along with all the other control button lights... I'll talk about this with the company and see what they say. Interior lighting is already confirmed, I just don't know how elaborate they're planning to make it.

We didn't discuss the front lights, but I would have to imagine LEDs. The lights in the proto pics are way too orange; there are a couple of shots in the film where those lights do look somewhat orange, but I'm sure it's a result of the film stock. 80% of the time the lights looks bright white, with a very slight touch of warm coloration.
I will say this: The president of the company sounded very passionate about 2001, and he genuinely wants to get the products right. I'm sure that's why he was so receptive to my offer of additional technical research and visual materials.

Those screens are fantastic. The idea of actual working screens is very cool, but would just up the price. If the pod has all of this interior detailing and lighting, and is made of a highly durable material I may very well be in at around $1,500. How serious are they about the Moonwatcher and Monolith? Also anything on HAL9000 and StarChild?

Thank you both for the compliments on my screens.
Executive Replicas isn't a huge company like Hot Toys. The EVA POD is supposed to come out in December, so I imagine if they do a Moonwatcher and monolith, those will be produced sometime in 2016.
Regarding HAL and 'Starchild', There are already model kits available of HAL, including a light. The Starchild could be nice if it was approached in a really innovative way, but I think it would look hokey enclosed in a plastic bubble, to put it mildly.

What I want to see is more large scale model kits from Moebius. They made an 18" diameter Jupiter 2 from Lost In Space that is incredible, and their 13" B-1 Robot, and Chariot kits are too. Moebius recently did a very nice Moonbus from 2001, but I would kill to have a large-size 'Aries 1B Earth-Moon shuttle'. Moebius' casting quality is superb. If the Aries was 1/72 scale, the ball-shape would be about 14" in diameter. I WANT.
ari4.jpg

Last edited:
$1500 way way too much- it isn't THAT big. If they keep it around $1000 tops they might sell..at $1500 or more it will almost have to be a custom built to order item(PO will probably want a $500 deposit!)
Still I want one...

I'll have to look for a good HAL kit. I think a Star Child encased in lucite would work, not a plastic bubble. If they don't make one I'll figure out something.

Thank you both for the compliments on my screens.
Executive Replicas isn't a huge company like Hot Toys. The EVA POD is supposed to come out in December, so I imagine if they do a Moonwatcher and monolith, those will be produced sometime in 2016.
Regarding HAL and 'Starchild', There are already model kits available of HAL, including a light. The Starchild could be nice if it was approached in a really innovative way, but I think it would look hokey enclosed in a plastic bubble, to put it mildly.

What I want to see is more large scale model kits from Moebius. They made an 18" diameter Jupiter 2 from Lost In Space that is incredible, and their 13" B-1 Robot, and Chariot kits are too. Moebius recently did a very nice Moonbus from 2001, but I would kill to have a large-size 'Aries 1B Earth-Moon shuttle'. Moebius' casting quality is superb. If the Aries was 1/72 scale, the ball-shape would be about 14" in diameter. I WANT.
View attachment 172774

You don't want to wait for the Captain Cardboard kit of the Aries 1-B? :lol

Moebius isn't doing anymore 2001 kits so forget that route...maybe Pegasus...

Yes these are figures I have been waiting for since i was nine years old when I first saw 2001 on one of it's reissues....

Website now says2nd/3rd qtr release- I figured we won't see these till later in the year....

Ok I sense nervousness here- should I put down money at the Executive Replicas website to reserve these? Will I ever see them? Will I ever get my money back if they don't come out?

Ok I sense nervousness here- should I put down money at the Executive Replicas website to reserve these? Will I ever see them? Will I ever get my money back if they don't come out?

FWIW - I placed preorders for these (and the LiS John Robinson) at the gohero website when they went up and have never been charged the deposits. Even after I contacted them to ask about paying the deposits. :lol My order history still shows all three figures as "processing" - anyway I don't think you will have any problem waiting to buy if/when they actually ship.

Ladies and gentlemen, it is my pleasure to announce: Full production has begun.
After conducting much research and consulting with the president of Executive Replicas,
I have been sent updated pics of the finalized Keir Dullea figure. What you see is what you'll get.

The first photo is a comparison of the original prototype chest box, side-by-side with
the new updated version after my research and corrections were applied.
They made some other improvements based upon my research as well, such as
the computer keypad text on the suit arm. I consulted on the product box design too,
and I'll have a printed credit for my contributions on the back. Huzzah!

chest update.jpg
RED p1.jpg
RED p2.jpg
RED p3.jpg
RED p4.jpg
RED p5.jpg
RED p6.jpg
RED p7.jpg
RED p8.jpg
RED p9.jpg
RED p10.jpg

Last edited: