EXO-6 Star Trek “Deep Space Nine” Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have no problem paying more for Weyoun or some of the secondary characters. I remember Nanjin writing about making some of these figures in a limited number during lulls in the production of the primary characters. I don’t know what the magic number is to turn a profit but I hope he is able to find a way to make them.

I'll admit that while I'd much rather buy figures from EXO-6 (because - to be TOTALLY honest - the company DESERVES my support based on what they are achieving) . . . if they decided not to produce some characters I wanted (or - even worse - reserved them for some "elitist" group) . . . I'd have no qualms about buying "gap fillers" from the likes of "Art Figure" if they stepped up to the plate.

With 95% of the R+D being already done for Kruge, Martok would be a no-brainer. New headsculpt, some extra body padding...done! ;)
And that's how he was talking a few months ago, but now he doesn't think Martok would be able to meet demand. I'm sure there's a lot of collectors (like me) who didn't buy Kruge, but would get Martok if he actually looks like Martok, but he seems very risk averse about DS9 these days.

He might want to try a crowd funding model for these 2nd/3rd tier characters.

...it's all the rave...everyone is doing it.

Do you mean Nanjin? He's already stated that he's fundamentally opposed to crowd-funding as a means to business creation. It may be old-school thinking, but he won't ask end-buyers to act as investors in his company.

I think he will pump some portion of his company's money into these niche figures, offer them up through a small group into a higher premium price tier, and recover or lose money respectively. Profit may not be an option on these figures (they will likely be much more expensive than we're used to), so he's best to simply recover the cost and stay afloat.

Do you mean Nanjin? He's already stated that he's fundamentally opposed to crowd-funding as a means to business creation. It may be old-school thinking, but he won't ask end-buyers to act as investors in his company.

I think he will pump some portion of his company's money into these niche figures, offer them up through a small group into a higher premium price tier, and recover or lose money respectively. Profit may not be an option on these figures (they will likely be much more expensive than we're used to), so he's best to simply recover the cost and stay afloat.
That's a reasonable position for main line figures but the lower tier characters are going to be slow sellers...particularly for this IP.

And that's how he was talking a few months ago, but now he doesn't think Martok would be able to meet demand. I'm sure there's a lot of collectors (like me) who didn't buy Kruge, but would get Martok if he actually looks like Martok, but he seems very risk averse about DS9 these days.
He should put up all the Klingons in armor for pre-order at/around the same time and manufacture them all at once. Then it's just different heads and minor cosmetic differences to worry about

He should put up all the Klingons in armor for pre-order at/around the same time and manufacture them all at once. Then it's just different heads and minor cosmetic differences to worry about
Kurn would be on a taller body than Martok who would be on a taller and thicker body than Gowron, who also wears the coat of the High Chancellor.

Kurn would be on a taller body than Martok who would be on a taller and thicker body than Gowron, who also wears the coat of the High Chancellor.
True.
That works for, like, Playmates up to Art Asylum (And that's how they did Gowron, Martok, and Worf)
But 1/6 scale, where people get picky about things like how broad Pike's chest is, demands that the heights be correct, and if someone's a little more paunchy (like Martok), people will complain if he's got the same body as Kurn.

True.
That works for, like, Playmates up to Art Asylum (And that's how they did Gowron, Martok, and Worf)
But 1/6 scale, where people get picky about things like how broad Pike's chest is, demands that the heights be correct, and if someone's a little more paunchy (like Martok), people will complain if he's got the same body as Kurn.
well, if the choice is the same body or not getting them at all, I'd still prefer to get them. But Exo-6 will do what they will do regardless....

True.
I mean, I would. Martok is built like a linebacker. Kurn's built like a basketball player (think James Harden and not Kareem Abdul-Jabbar).

I respect this mindset a lot. Frankly I get a little disgusted seeing the likes of Hasbro and Mattel (billion-dollar companies) asking ridiculous up-front buy-ins for highly desirable characters and playsets claiming there's no other viable path to market for them, while the garbage they bless with mass retail availability rots on the shelves or ends up at Dollarama.

That said, as someone who's been both a Trekkie and a toy collector for the same amount of decades, I also think 1:6 Star Trek is totally appropriate for that business model. For all its longevity and cultural saturation, this franchise has been a red-headed stepchild in the action figure industry more often than not.

Back