Furiosa (May 24, 2024)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he meant most of the trailers *before* Furiosa were garbage (at least I hope that's what he meant, lol.)
1717263002252.gif

This was alot better than I expected. Not only is it an instant Blu-ray purchase but already one of my favourite prequels/sequels of all time. I didn't even mind the handful of unpolished CG shots scattered throughout. For the most part it looked absolutely awesome, just like Fury Road. To everyone who is still on the fence: Get off your asses and support this in the cinema before it gets taken down. Otherwise it's because of you we can nolonger have nice things...

I agree, even the most problematic shots were somehow "off" in such a way as to become instantly charming, at least to me.
Yeah, This unique style of over the top action and visuals is definitely "charming". Also, when a story is truly captivating it normally takes a REALLY ugly shot to take me out of the moment. Fortunately Furiosa had precisely zero of those i.m.o.

Yeah, This unique style of over the top action and visuals is definitely "charming". Also, when a story is truly captivating it normally takes a REALLY ugly shot to take me out of the moment. Fortunately Furiosa had precisely zero of those i.m.o.
I don’t know that now infamous close up of him driving the monster truck comes close…very very close lol

My original impression from FR was that Furiosa's decision to leave was a fairly recent thing, and that she finally just had enough of Immortan Joe's antics and treatment of the brides. But the prequel makes it clear that she was working against Joe from the very beginning, which makes you wonder why the long wait.

Really?
I always thought that when Max asks her in Fury Road "You done this before?" and Furiosa replies "Many times. Now that I drive a War Rig this is the best shot I'll ever have..." that they were talking about her trying to get back home again. So... for me it sounded like this wasn't her first time trying to get away. And also when she meets the remaining Vuvalini again and they ask her how long it has been Furiosa replies "7000 days. Plus the ones I don't remember." sounding like a prisoner, counting days, just waiting for her chance to escape...
I always got the impression that she was never truly one of them...

Just got back from watching this in Dolby. I quite enjoyed it, but it made me realize just how much of an outlier Fury Road was.

In terms of spirit and pacing, Furiosa is much closer to the first two Mad Max films, a return to form if anyone's been waiting for it. Either Fury Road was lightning in a bottle or Miller simply felt like making a particularly relentless, fast-paced MM movie at the time.

Alyla Browne does a fantastic job navigating Furiosa's more formative events while Anya Taylor-Joy strikes an impressively similar chord to Charlize Theron.

Hemsworth is amusing, but not as interesting as Immortan Joe or Aunty Entity. Toecutter gets an honorable mention for being more realistic, though I could say the same for the first film in general.

The CG -- more specifically the compositing and color grading -- didn't take me out as much as I expected. But I do wish everything were less shiny, more evenly coated in dust. A touch more orange filter as well to bring everything together.

All in all, I look forward to seeing this again on 4K. Shame it probably won't be long before that happens. Must just be bad luck, I was even more surprised to see The Fall Guy flop.

Last edited:
In terms of spirit and pacing, Furiosa is much closer to the first two Mad Max films, a return to form if anyone's been waiting for it. Either Fury Road was lightning in a bottle or Miller simply felt like making a particularly relentless, fast-paced MM movie at the time.

Oh, that he certainly did:

GEORGE MILLER For so long, whenever the idea of another “Mad Max” movie came up, I thought there wasn’t much more I could do with it, but I specifically remember the moment that changed. I was crossing the street in Los Angeles and this very simple idea popped in my head: “What if there was a ‘Mad Max’ movie that was one long chase...?”

And I love him for that. That's exactly what makes Fury Road so endlessly rewatchable... The moment it ends you just wanna start all over again.... and again and again and again...

I don’t know that now infamous close up of him driving the monster truck comes close…very very close lol
I was actually on the lookout for the shot when I saw the movie but don't remember anything especially fake looking. But maybe it just blended in with all the other heavily altered shots and I had just become used to it by that point.

Has Jye come around on this and reversed course?

If not, then its back to Disney Star Wars for him.
I went back to my initial review.

Problem 1. Pretty boy comedian Hemsworth as a villain

Problem 2. CGI

Problem 3. Abrupt scene showing Furious taking the wives

Let me just say that their verbal confrontation at the end was so epic that it makes me accept those 3 problems as just collateral nit picks.

Dementus is just like **** humanity we all suffered so only thing left to do is power and control.

Dementus 3 looks are very thematically attached to his arc I liked his visual evolution.

Plus the characters are charismatic, even the side ones, the mother chase is cool and the theme of a curious Furiosa going for the apple encapsulates her odyssey of seeking wisdom outside of her isolated safe zone which comes at a cost that seeking knowledge and wisdom is a double edge sword that also brings with it sorrow, regret and loss.

Going out into the world comes with a price.

Yeah i’m digging this movie now.

Back