Furiosa (May 24, 2024)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did Dune find an audience and not this. I don't understand. It's actually annoying.

We had no discussion like this after Dune aside from Chani memes.
Well, for one it wasn’t a near 10 year wait for a sequel. The trailers were amazing and the CGI was groundbreaking. Also, the cast was a lot more relevant to what audiences these days want.

Mad Max has always been “cult status” the Dune movies changed the property from “cult status” to mainstream.

The lead up to Dune felt like a blockbuster, Furiosa did not have that effect.

The popcorn bucket too. :lol

(It’s also a MUCH better film :monkey1)

I guess he hated it so much that when it was over he went home and immediately watched The Acolyte to cleanse the palette...

:monkey3
:lol
Actually, I thought it was great! Took a lot longer than I expected for ATJ to arrive on screen, but she definitely made the wait worthwhile. Hemsworth was also quite good - I was expecting him to be more of a caricature but Dementus ended up a fully formed character.

As an aside, let me just say I don't think my bladder can handle any more 2-1/2 hour+ movie screenings. At the end I was like Austin Powers after he came out of cryo-freeze lol...

p.s. - I burst out laughing when Immortan Joe's sons introduced themselves to Dementus. Those names! Were they in Fury Road and I just didn't notice? The big guy looked familiar but not Scrotus (the guy who played the young Col. Stryker in the X-Men: DOFP & Apocalypse).

Also, the cast [of Dune] was a lot more relevant to what audiences these days want.

Mad Max has always been “cult status” the Dune movies changed the property from “cult status” to mainstream.

Let's cast up poor Furiosa for Miller so he can make some money.

Austin Butler as Max

Zendaya as Furiosa

Robert Downey Jr as Immortan Joe

Tommy Lee Jones as Wez

Timothee Chalamet as his Rear Rider

Beyonce as Auntie Entity

and Dwayne Johnson as Lord Humungus

Austin Butler as Max

Zendaya as Furiosa

Tommy Lee Jones as Wez

Beyonce as Auntie Entity

That movie would make 5x more at the box office but lose 10x more money lol...

Austin Butler as Max

Zendaya as Furiosa

Tommy Lee Jones as Wez

Beyonce as Auntie Entity

IMG_7891.gif

Actually, I thought it was great! Took a lot longer than I expected for ATJ to arrive on screen, but she definitely made the wait worthwhile. Hemsworth was also quite good - I was expecting him to be more of a caricature but Dementus ended up a fully formed character.

As an aside, let me just say I don't think my bladder can handle any more 2-1/2 hour+ movie screenings. At the end I was like Austin Powers after he came out of cryo-freeze lol...

p.s. - I burst out laughing when Immortan Joe's sons introduced themselves to Dementus. Those names! Were they in Fury Road and I just didn't notice? The big guy looked familiar but not Scrotus (the guy who played the young Col. Stryker in the X-Men: DOFP & Apocalypse).
Rictus was in FR quite prominent.
Scrotus, was in the video game.

As was Chum Bucket.

How did Dune find an audience and not this. I don't understand. It's actually annoying.

For me anyway - zero interest in this film because I really didn't like Fury Road; it was numbing eye candy to me with no story or characters - and not at all a Mad Max film... it just had Mad Max written on it. The look, feel, everything doesn't feel like the originals. Same with this.

I may watch this one day on streaming, but zero interest to sit in a cinema when I have an insane home theater system nowadays.

Whereas Dune, I loved the first one, so I was excited for the second (even though it wasn't as good as the first for me).

So how was 2nd viewing, Khev?
This movie is a straight 10 for me now, nothing bothered me this time around.

I thought the score was great (obviously way more minimalistic than FR but totally fitting and powerful,) the first hour absolutely flew by so no issues with that, the CGI while obviously not perfect still just somehow worked. I saw tons of Biblical symbolism this time around, I liked Hemsworth a little more, and Anya is just perfection on screen.

Trying to film 40 actual days of battle would have been silly so the montage felt very appropriate and how did I not realize the first time that the ending comes full circle with the original Mad Max by once again having a lone warrior in a black muscle car chasing half a dozen bad guys who drive off in different directions!

The final exchange between Furiosa and Dementus is so well earned and in my mind is "TDK Joker interrogation" level quality, but unlike TDK it comes at the end of the film instead of causing the movie to peak too soon like TDK. I think it's absolutely the greatest prequel ever made, though really only Rogue One is even in the same ballpark. The young Furiosa actress was amazing and just reinforces for the 500th time how much Lucas screwed up in portraying young Anakin.

As much of a bummer it is that we won't get a proper Max-centric "Wasteland" I can't ignore the fact that on the best day of his life Tom Hardy isn't as fun to watch on screen as Anya in this film so I think that Furiosa was always destined to be the best. And I do still think it's better than Fury Road just because I prefer how grand and powerful and operatic this film is compared to the latter.

This may just be my favorite "Mad Max" film, period. 😬

:chase

Last edited:

Great job, son -- BYE!
Thankfully they pretty much just lined up the kids, gave them their awards, had them pause for parents to take photos and that was it! I met my buddy at the theater right as the last few seconds of the Kevin Costner Western trailer was wrapping up and then boom the movie began. :)

Good 2nd review. I do believe I will settle in to the length in the 2nd round. So much great stuff to look forward to again.

So did the 2nd viewing make it any clearer that it was Max who dragged unconscious Furiosa back to the Citadel? Or was he just lurking for months on that cliff?

Also, how excellent was Mr Norton again?

Good 2nd review. I do believe I will settle in to the length in the 2nd round. So much great stuff to look forward to again.

So did the 2nd viewing make it any clearer that it was Max who dragged unconscious Furiosa back to the Citadel? Or was he just lurking for months on that cliff?
I thought it showed him watching a couple motorcyclists (assumed to be Citadel scouts) intercept her and start to bring her back.
Also, how excellent was Mr Norton again?
Gosh she was like a "13 Ghosts" character or something. So hideous, lol. I forgot that she survived.

Oh and on a completely different note the theater was like 1/3 full, WAY more people than were there last week! (Not that it will matter in the end, but I was definitely surprised at how big a crowd was there tonight.)

Back