GDB Studios, Hollywood

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: GDB's Godless Creations

Here's my custom Neo. He started as a regular old Medicom Neo but the body is just way too short to be displayed on a shelf with any other figure so I raised his legs about an inch, upgraded his clothes to the superior (and less felt-like) Triad set -- my girlfriend put in a couple stitches to get the the pants and coat to fit right and what a huge difference that made! -- and then finally I repainted him.

fc43b5a7.jpg

707cd801.jpg

390ddcc2.jpg

bd330f5b.jpg

Stay tuned for a special announcement with my next update!

So the somewhat big announcement I was teasing -- I'm not going to make it. I ran out of heads to paint and I was going to announce a cash-4-clunkers type program based on Obama's stimulus thing where people could send me some cash and an unpainted head to get a head I've already repainted. Sort of like an instant repaint where you see exactly what you're getting and don't have to wait. And I may still do that. But between when I started teasing the announcement and now I got talked into doing commission work.

So, new, big announcement: I now entertain commission work -- on a very limited basis. Anyone interested, feel free to PM me. :D

And here are my first two commission based paint jobs. Another John Locke and a Sideshow Jedi Luke both painted for fellow board members.

cc92addf.jpg

6b7600f0.jpg

63af615f.jpg

7d063216.jpg

6e645c42.jpg

65a8e050.jpg

Last edited:

I'm a proud owner of a Locke and the Luke shown here. I'm just chiming in to say Brent's work is fantastic. So if you need something done hit em up! You wont be dissapointed!!!!:D

The Neo is great and what you did with the joker v1 is special. Keep up the awesome work!

They look good GBD. how do you get such tan skin like on John Locke?

DarthMagnus, thanks for posting the finished figure! I'm glad he turned out so well for you. Being my first official commission piece I really wanted to make him shine.

madmaninsane, thanks. My secret on John Locke, on all of the heads actually, is that instead of using premade flesh tone paint and shading it with pastel shavings or inking, I use layer upon layer of slightly different colored tones and let the colors mix on the head. It's more time consuming but I think I can get a more organic feel this way. And frankly, dealing with pastel shavings sounds like a lot of mess. :lol Anyway, that's how I got him too look like he's spent too much time in the sun.

Cool thank's I like your work. So you mix your own skin tones what colors do you use?

Last edited:

The work horses are titanium white and burnt sienna. But on one head I'll use a wide variety of mixes drawing from titanium white, burnt sienna, raw sienna, burnt umber, blue, green and cadmium red. My pallet -- okay, my foam plates -- looks like an OCD mess of tiny flesh tone mixes. For example here's a shot of my pallet in the early stages of a Luke...

9908c1a3.jpg

And that's a relatively clean pallet for me. :lol

Your work on Locke is outstanding!!! I'll definitely be sending you something to paint. Just have to find something now. LOL

Your work on Locke is outstanding!!! I'll definitely be sending you something to paint. Just have to find something now. LOL

Right on! I'll be here. Thanks, yeah, I turned a corner with Locke. The sculpt and my technique really came together on that one. Takes me 3 times as long to paint one of them but only because there's so much opportunity to add layers and fancy bits.

I've seen a bunch of painted versions of this superb sculpt but I gotta say this is my favorite! You have mad skills!

Thanks for that! Yeah everyone has their own techniques and styles and I love how individual everyone's repaints are. The John Locke sculpt especially has so much room for personality to show through.

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

f3fc606b.jpg

ada9f897.jpg

5d66e62f.jpg

f16e4df4.jpg

61761e68.jpg

Here's a pair of heads and hands I painted for a fellow board member. The sculpts are from Ada and I've never painted one of their sculpts before. Ada has a style that I hadn't encountered before so there was a bit of learning curve. Seeing pictures of the unpainted Doc Brown I wasn't sure how much Christopher LLyod was in there but as I worked on him I was pleasantly surprised how much Jim Ignotowski was coming through. Then it was just a matter of fighting my instincts to paint his hair brown and give him a deep 5 o'clock shadow. :lol I have watched way too much TAXI in my youth.

Really nice work on that Michael J Fox. That's the best I've ever seen that sculpt painted. Great work on Doc's crazy eyes too.

A Reverend Jim custom would be awesome. :lol

GD Brent, I am so very impressed with your work! The Darth Maul, Neo, Luke, John Locke, they are all just so incredible!

Have you added any other clothes to Locke?

He really needs his tan vest at least. If I could see a version of him fully dressed I may be pushed to invest in him at some point. He is just so amazing!

Back