General NBA Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, Green getting suspended couldn't come at a better time for the Cavs and the NBA's revenue stream. Green's suspension comes with an added twist. If GS actually wins, he won't be allowed to celebrate with his team. Can you imagine that? Being a big part of a historic season and a GS championship, and he'll have to watch it all on TV. If he shows up, the League will fine him his pay for the game. I believe it comes out to $140,000. So, does Green show up and basically tell the League to F themselves, or will he be staying at home? What if he shows up at the arena and they lose? He'd be out $140 K for nothing if that happens. It'll be interesting to see what he'll decide to do.

If I were him I'm gladly pay the fine and/or risk further suspension of some meaningless regular season game next year for the chance to celebrate back-to-back titles...easy call imo.

Wouldn't it be funnier or more interesting if he won FMVP (longshot obviously) but who would Silver present the FMVP trophy to? :lol

Unless, things have changed, the players don't get "game" checks for the playoffs...their contracts are strictly for the regular season. Players on playoff teams however, ARE awarded playoff shares (essentially bonuses), based on how deep the team makes it in the playoffs. While not as large as regular checks, the playoff checsk aren't chump change either (especially for NBA minimum players).

I remember reading an article about a player (I believe it was about Bison Dele's death, but I may be wrong, this was over 10 years ago, if not 15) where they interviewed arena staff and the staff said the player in question was generous, giving up his playoff share and having it distributed among the arena staff.

Last edited:
That is cool.

But it wasn't being gassed or heart as the reason they lost. 6-25 from three, 0-5 in the fourth. 15-26 from the line, 2-6 in the 4th.

I'm not saying that they were tired, but it does become more difficult to make shots (especially three-pointers) when one is fatigued. I still play a lot of basketball to this day, and I know my three can become less efficient the longer I play. The same can be said for foul shots as well, as fatigue can also affect your concentration. Again, I'm not saying they lost because they were tired, but missing shots late can be attributed to that.

Unless, things have changed, the players don't get "game" checks for the playoffs...their contracts are strictly for the regular season. Players on playoff teams however, ARE awarded playoff shares (essentially bonuses), based on how deep the team makes it in the playoffs. While not as large as regular checks, the playoff checsk aren't chump change either (especially for NBA minimum players).

I remember reading an article about a player (I believe it was about Bison Dele's death, but I may be wrong, this was over 10 years ago, if not 15) where they interviewed arena staff and the staff said the player in question was generous, giving up his playoff share and having it distributed among the arena staff.
Its pretty small for high paid players. They are saying Green gets 140K per game but last year got 250k for the playoffs which is less than 12K per game.

Here is a brake down of this year 15M pool of money.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/feature...bonuses-warriors-cavs-in-line-for-payday.html

Its pretty small for high paid players. They are saying Green gets 140K per game but last year got 250k for the playoffs which is less than 12K per game.

Here is a brake down of this year 15M pool of money.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/feature...bonuses-warriors-cavs-in-line-for-payday.html

I don't know how they broke it down but the article I read on the net said Green would be out 140 K if he's in the arena. I know these guys make millions but that's still a pretty decent chunk of change.

If I were him I'm gladly pay the fine and/or risk further suspension of some meaningless regular season game next year for the chance to celebrate back-to-back titles...easy call imo.

Wouldn't it be funnier or more interesting if he won FMVP (longshot obviously) but who would Silver present the FMVP trophy to? :lol

I'd definitely pay the fine and be there. It'd just suck to pay it if they lost. I think it'd be hilarious if he won Finals MVP and he wasn't there to hand the trophy to. :lol

Not going to say this is true but something i read:

"According to sources, Green looked James dead in the face and called him a “b—-.”
One NBA player in earshot of the trash-talk told The Undefeated that James responded by saying that he was the father of three kids and a man.
Green responded back, according to the player, by saying: “You’re still a b—-.”

If it is...yikes, Lebron is sensitive...

I don't know how they broke it down but the article I read on the net said Green would be out 140 K if he's in the arena. I know these guys make millions but that's still a pretty decent chunk of change.

Maybe it's a fine for breaking the rule and not just a playoff game share.

"According to sources, Green looked James dead in the face and called him a “b—-.”
One NBA player in earshot of the trash-talk told The Undefeated that James responded by saying that he was the father of three kids and a man.

I heard that as well, but that exchange took place after the subsequent "takedown" (Lebron is a big dude, but so is Draymond, and I don't think he could have been taken down that easily), and the "step over" by Lebron.

It happened, move on. I don't like the escalating war of words after the fact.

Maybe it's a fine for breaking the rule and not just a playoff game share.

I heard that as well, but that exchange took place after the subsequent "takedown" (Lebron is a big dude, but so is Draymond, and I don't think he could have been taken down that easily), and the "step over" by Lebron.

It happened, move on. I don't like the escalating war of words after the fact.

Heh, for sure. The scrutiny on Lebron can't get any bigger though. Still, I'm looking forward to the game tonight. I think everyone had sort of checked out after last game but this actually gives CLE a far better chance to win tonight so back to being a little excited about what might happen. I hope Iggy and Harrison step up!

I'm sure far worse has been said between players in a playoff/Finals game. Either way, it's done. Green is suspended and GS will have to try and find a way to claw out a win without him. If not, game 6 looms.

They are using his regular season game check amount. They get no game checks in the playoffs. They get paid for the regular season and they get the bonus for the playoffs. I think the problem is no one truley knows what will happen. Some have said he will get a $500 fine if he shows up on the court to celebrate, others say if he shows to the game he gets fined a game check, other say the fine is 2k and even source the rule book. So yeah who the hell knows the real rule.

Best part Lebron has proved Green was right.

Interesting because when I saw the replay, I could swear that Lebron said b---- to Green at one point. The back of Dray's head was turned to the camera so I couldn't see what he said (I'm sure it wasn't how much he enjoyed his Kia commercials) but if that's LeBron's response, it was very David Robinson gentlemanly of him :lol

EDIT: So I still have the game DVR'd and it appears to me, now that I pay closer attention, is that LeBron's saying 'Don't call me b---- again' several times so it would appear the reports are true that Dray initiated the name calling...

Last edited:
They are using his regular season game check amount. They get no game checks in the playoffs. They get paid for the regular season and they get the bonus for the playoffs. I think the problem is no one truley knows what will happen. Some have said he will get a $500 fine if he shows up on the court to celebrate, others say if he shows to the game he gets fined a game check, other say the fine is 2k and even source the rule book. So yeah who the hell knows the real rule.

Yeah, I guess we'll just wait and see how it plays out. However, if the fine is only between $500-$2000, I'm sure Green wouldn't even blink at that and be there with his team. That's not even pocket change for Green.

Yeah, I guess we'll just wait and see how it plays out. However, if the fine is only between $500-$2000, I'm sure Green wouldn't even blink at that and be there with his team. That's not even pocket change for Green.
I have a feeling he shows up regardless, because even the worst case could be argued down to nothing unless they were VERY careful with the wording of the rule in order to cover playoff games.

Apparently now ESPN is saying the 140K is him being docked a game check for being suspended for a game (not sure you can dock him pay for missing a game he technically is being paid to play) and the 2k is if he shows up. But they said he is going to the A's game which is connected to the Oracle by a tunnel so he will likely be there the second the game ends.

https://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/20...spended-game-5-nba-finals-cleveland-cavaliers

Last edited:
The Warriors were more than happy to share their feelings about Green's suspension Sunday afternoon, and the way they tell the story, Green was a wrongly accused man who didn't deserve the punishment he received.

Multiple players claimed that they were going to "win it for Draymond" as if he was in the intensive care unit. Coach Steve Kerr, usually the coolest guy in the room, was seething during his media availability. The Warriors were ticked.

Not at Green, no. The subtext of the comments was crystal clear -- they blamed LeBron James for this.

The Warriors believe that James' outspokenness about the incident and subsequent trash talk in the Game 4 postgame press conference put undue pressure on the league to suspend Green, lest it cross one of its big stars. Andre Iguodala, Shaun Livingston and Andrew Bogut all blamed LeBron without pointing the finger -- it was a master-class in passive-aggressiveness.

Mo Speights doesn't do passive aggressive. He went all-in without a bit of nuance:

"A guy does something like that, you kind of lose respect for him ... I had a lot of respect for LeBron over his career since he was in high school. But, do things like that to get a guy suspended? That kind of disrespectful."

"It's messed to suspend a man over nothing. If somebody put they' balls on your head, what you supposed to do? ... [Expletive] are on the back of his head. It's kind of messed up man, but hey."

More on this story

The Warriors were angry -- the linchpin of their team was suspended in the middle of their practice ahead of an NBA Finals clincher -- but the shots at LeBron, subtle or not, were foolish.

LeBron might not be able to make 3-pointers at a rate like the Splash Brothers, and his team might not be as talented or as deep as the Warriors', but Golden State is heading into Game 5 without arguably their most critical player, and they just provoked arguably the most physically dominant basketball player of all time.

Did LeBron likely overact to Green's comments? Of course. Forgive my callousness, but if being called a "b*tch" is all that it took to set LeBron off on a tirade about "crossing the line" and "respect," then he needs to play some pickup games in a local park sometime soon. He'll hear worse in the first 30 seconds.

The NBA suspended Draymond Green for Monday's Game 5 of the NBA Finals after assessing him a flagrant foul that put him over the limit and into a suspension. The Warriors claim the Cavaliers whined to make that happen.

And to that, one member of the Cavaliers issued a candid response.

"My honest opinion? I don't give a [bleep] what they say," Cavs forward Channing Frye told cleveland.com adamantly. "I give no [bleeps] what they say, whatsoever. Like, zero. It's like, 'OK.' I don't care. I honestly don't care about anything they say.

"The only thing I'm focused on is what my teammates think, what our fans think and what my family thinks. Other than that, I've got one job and that's to win this next game. They can talk, they can say what they want, they can complain, they can scream, they can cry. We've got a job to do. We're not going to be distracted by all that."

Warriors sharpshooter Klay Thompson admitted he was surprised when he heard LeBron James after Game 4 publicly complaining to the media about Green's trash-talking antics.

"I'm just kind of shocked some guys take it so personal," he said. "It's like, I mean, you know, it's a man's league and I've heard a lot of bad things on that court, but at the end of the day it stays on the court. But obviously people have feelings, and people's feelings get hurt even if they're called a bad word. I guess his feelings just got hurt."

Cavs coach Tyronn Lue was fined $25,000 for his postgame remarks toward the officials when he said, "He (LeBron) never gets calls."

Warriors center Andrew Bogut said Lue and James intentionally took to the podium that evening with a clear plan of pouring gasoline onto an already-hot Draymond Green suspension soapbox.

"You knew after Game 4 it was going to be very likely [Draymond gets suspended] with all the stuff coming out from their end," Bogut said. "That's all their coaches and their manager have to do, try and get him out."

"I'm just kind of shocked some guys take it so personal," he said. "It's like, I mean, you know, it's a man's league and I've heard a lot of bad things on that court, but at the end of the day it stays on the court. But obviously people have feelings, and people's feelings get hurt even if they're called a bad word. I guess his feelings just got hurt."
"
:rotfl

Oh man, such drama! Should make for a fun game. I actually don't think Lebron's production will be affected at all. He'll have a big game, Kyrie will probably do his thing. What it comes down to is the Warriors bench vs the CLE role players including Love. Hopefully will be a good one!

Back