Gentle Giant's Vintage 12" Star Wars Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lando.png

I think this is a better pic of the original...

landoteeth.jpg

Gentle Giant is definitely cutting corners. The new "12-inch" R5-D4 was originally vac-metallized around the neck. Their version is just painted grey.

That's inexcusable for the premium over-priced line this has turned into. I'd expect to see cost-cutting on $30 figures maybe even $40, but cripes they're charging $60-80 for these! Only GG would have those kinda balls. :cuckoo:

Love Blue Snaggs in hand. He has a great "wow" factor. The huge silver disco boots are brilliant at this scale, as is the oversize Han blaster.

I am going to cast the head and add some sculpted detail to it (wrinkles etc.) and some hair for a 1/6 Snaggs custom. Out of all the SW vintage figs, it really is a pretty decent basic likeness to the onscreen character even at this scale.

Still undecided on the rest of this series. I think they need to target visually interesting (Leia Hoth, Nien Nunb, Squidhead) or rare figures - of which Blue Snaggs and Boba rocket firing were a good start. They'd be crazy not to do rarer POTF figs next - like Amanaman or EV-9D9. The POTF package and oversize coin add value like what they have done with Gammy.

Yeah. I love the GG Blue Snags fig. I was surprised at how high the production was for an exclusive figure though after the edition size was announced. Seeing the figure in hand it's one of those figures in the line that I can appreciate (regardless of edition size). GG did a great job with that one.

I'm just really disappointed with that Lando. There is no excuse for an all new headsculpt for essentially a blown up vintage figure. Don't understand their rationale. I don't think I'd spent my hard earned money even with a deep discount. I feel bad for completists in this line when it comes time for them to add this figure in particular. The small things like Chewy, Darth, and Leia's scale don't bother me. R5-D4's non vac-metalized neck don't bother me either. I thought GG was doing a decent job on the line until seeing this Lando pic. That headsculpt...that bothers me. Ugh.

I thought the whole point of GG preying upon our childhood memories of these figures was that they were going to be exact 1:1 scans of the originals? What's the point of buying them if GG's just going to replace vac metal with grey paint here and a new sculpt there? I dislike this line even more, now! *flips table of GG collectibles in marketplace* :p

I thought the whole point of GG preying upon our childhood memories of these figures was that they were going to be exact 1:1 scans of the originals? What's the point of buying them if GG's just going to replace vac metal with grey paint here and a new sculpt there? I dislike this line even more, now! *flips table of GG collectibles in marketplace* :p

:lol :lol :lol

dammit waller...............now i gotta join them bastards...........:gah:

unless you can order me one..............:pray:

I'm going to stick with my ebay repro fetts and the hasbro one. These are ridiculously over-priced, but I can't blame them. They know their clientele.

$90.00 for a cardboard backdrop is pretty outrageous, and I'm generally quite forgiving in that regard. Anyone buying the backdrop will have lost all price complaining privilages in regards to Sideshow's stuff like the e.webb. Looks like a bargin compared to that cardboard POS! :mad:

Thanks for the links! Don't know if I will buy them in the end, but I pre ordered them both.

For $90 you could buy the original vintage Kenner one loose. Seriously.

Back