Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace - 1/6th scale Darth Maul™ Collectible Figure (25th anniversary)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New look.

1721773384714.png

Oh, excellent -- you ordered one! That makes me feel better about my PO since I know how much a fan you are of Maul... Maulfan.

Yes, thankfully I had some Sideshow rewards and was able to work it out to be able to order it.

While I still prefer the overall look of the Sideshow Maul head over the v1 HT, the overall Sideshow figure is significantly downgrade from Hot Toys. It was my first Sideshow figure in like 10 years, I didn't know their bodies still sucked and all, I opted Sideshow over HT for the portrait. After years of regret, I'm excited that I can now have the ultimate 1/6 Maul, and my Sideshow can ride my old Hasbro Bloodfin.

Yes, thankfully I had some Sideshow rewards and was able to work it out to be able to order it.

While I still prefer the overall look of the Sideshow Maul head over the v1 HT, the overall Sideshow figure is significantly downgrade from Hot Toys. It was my first Sideshow figure in like 10 years, I didn't know their bodies still sucked and all, I opted Sideshow over HT for the portrait. After years of regret, I'm excited that I can now have the ultimate 1/6 Maul, and my Sideshow can ride my old Hasbro Bloodfin.

Excellent!

And yes, the head was better on the old Sideshow.

I have the v1 HT Maul and was disappointed by the dark portrait (and indented tattoo lines that catch the light). I picked up the Solo Maul head thinking it would at least show up better under the Tatooine hood but it was not a true improvement. So I just recently used my last batch of rewards on this v2 Maul because the stern portrait looks great, the addition of moveable eyes, and the idea that I could pose the v2 in the Naboo Duel stance and pose the v1 with the "new improved" Tatooine hood.

This shot reminds me that while definitely an upgrade to the existing, unfortunately this still won't be the ultimate 1:6 Maul.
The yellow iris is still not large/pronounced enough and the pupil still too large.

My quest for more accurate eyes continues (while still being very happy that I can upgrade the current sculpt).

Excellent!

And yes, the head was better on the old Sideshow.

I have the v1 HT Maul and was disappointed by the dark portrait (and indented tattoo lines that catch the light). I picked up the Solo Maul head thinking it would at least show up better under the Tatooine hood but it was not a true improvement. So I just recently used my last batch of rewards on this v2 Maul because the stern portrait looks great, the addition of moveable eyes, and the idea that I could pose the v2 in the Naboo Duel stance and pose the v1 with the "new improved" Tatooine hood.

That certainly didn't help HT either. While Sideshow also sculpted their tats, it's more subtle than HT. The HT heads, while nice sculpts, look "plastic". The new heads look very lifelike. The new figure is also the first since the original Sideshow to use the actual TPM horn designs and not just generic horns.

I really can't justify an "upgrade" to the Hot Toys V1 when I also have the HT Solo and Clone Wars Maul as well with all the other figs in production and on the horizon. I'll just console myself with the fact the original still looks amazing on the shelf at viewing distance. Looking forward to the in hand pics from you all.

I really can't justify an "upgrade" to the Hot Toys V1 when I also have the HT Solo and Clone Wars Maul as well with all the other figs in production and on the horizon. I'll just console myself with the fact the original still looks amazing on the shelf at viewing distance. Looking forward to the in hand pics from you all.
Think of it this way… you get two headsculpts… you can put the extra on your OG Maul and have two upgraded Mauls for the price of one…

I hate to upgrade so soon but this feels significant. The original hot toys maul looks great still, but the proportions and sculpt look much better on the new one. I’m going to use the old one with the cloak for the just finished battling qui gon pose. I’m going bankrupt anyway with all of this crap, what’s one more at this point.

Back