Gun collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yup, i buy my ammo in bulk via online ordering but there's a California law (AB962) that goes into effect next Feb 2011 that will prohibit that. :( .. but i'm taking measures to hopefully get around that.

yeah, the XD triggers are a bit "mushy" but they're well designed.

yeah, no kidding. i have to check the "safe" gun roster every time i buy something. i've been disappointed so many times getting all excited about a particular gun only to find out that it's not allowed in CA. *sigh* :(

"F---in' California." -- John McClane

God bless Texas.

In any case, I think I've decided to go with the HK P30 9mm. It isn't a .45, but it has a mag capacity of 15 (+1), which makes up for the caliber difference. I like the P30's upgrades over the USPC -- better grip, ambidextrous operation, etc. There isn't a Crimson Trace for it yet ... but I think one will come along eventually.

It seems to be a good mix of manufacturing quality, accuracy, stopping power, concealability, capactiy, aesthetics, and comfort/ ergonomics -- which is exactly what I am looking for. I held and dry-fired one and was very impressed with the feel. I will be doing a range-test in the near future, but, unless it goes horribly awry, I think I've pretty-well made up my mind.

HK-P30.jpg

SnakeDoc

Im getting my first gun soon! Need to do some paperwork, training and tests first... really hard to get a gun here in Uruguay, and expensive.

I`ll start with something small, S&W .22 :eek:

You guys have some amazing guns here :eek

I think that's something we Americans take for granted - the liberty to build, buy and sell guns as we please.

Bushy7.jpg

Im getting my first gun soon! Need to do some paperwork, training and tests first... really hard to get a gun here in Uruguay, and expensive.

I`ll start with something small, S&W .22 :eek:

You guys have some amazing guns here :eek

A .22 is pretty small. Not sure how old you are ... but if you're an adult, I'd recommend something bigger. If you're going to train, you might as well train on the round you're going to use -- and a .22 doesn't have much stopping power.

Not that I'd recommend jumping straight to the Desert Eagle (.50 cal) ...

80600396.jpg

... or .44 Magnum ...

44-magnum.jpg

... both of which are handheld cannons (they kick like a sonofa_____, but could stop a charging rhino). But you might consider splitting the difference and getting a .38, 9mm or .40 cal -- those are typically more practical calibers.

That being said ... I have no idea about the laws in Uruguay.

SnakeDoc

i was at the range today. my once a month trip with fellow co-workers. we get to shoot each others pistols. i brought my Sig P238, Springfield XD9, 1911 Operator, FN FiveSeven, and S&W AR15. lots of fun today! i've been experimenting with trying to shoot with both eyes open. it's a bit unnatural at first but once i acquired my target area then it was easier. i'll definitely want to attach a laser for this type of exercise.

i was quite impressed with a S&W M&P45 pistol. i hit all 10 shots in an 8 inch box from 7 yards. definitely on my want list now!

Sig P238

IMG_8286.jpg

IMG_8294.jpg

IMG_8295.jpg

it shoots the .380ACP which is pretty rare to find these days. however, i was able to order 1200 rounds at Cabela's and i picked up a 50 pack box of Remington UMC for $23.99 at my local Big Five Sporting Goods store. can't wait to shoot this mouse gun! :chew

I've had my eye on the Operator, one SWEET looking weapon.

A .22 is pretty small. Not sure how old you are ... but if you're an adult, I'd recommend something bigger. If you're going to train, you might as well train on the round you're going to use -- and a .22 doesn't have much stopping power.

Not that I'd recommend jumping straight to the Desert Eagle (.50 cal) ...

80600396.jpg

... or .44 Magnum ...

44-magnum.jpg

... both of which are handheld cannons (they kick like a sonofa_____, but could stop a charging rhino). But you might consider splitting the difference and getting a .38, 9mm or .40 cal -- those are typically more practical calibers.

That being said ... I have no idea about the laws in Uruguay.

SnakeDoc

:panic: would love to have a Desert Eagle .50 but theres no way i can find that gun here.

I know .22 is a cheap and weak caliber...i`ll buy something bigger later :yess:

:panic: would love to have a Desert Eagle .50 but theres no way i can find that gun here.

I know .22 is a cheap and weak caliber...i`ll buy something bigger later :yess:

I went shooting this weekend to try out the Heckler & Koch P30 9mm I'm going to be purchasing in the next week or so. I can't recommend it highly enough -- compact, accurate, reliable, comfortable, reasonable stopping power, huge magazine (15 rounds + 1 chambered). The only downside is the price ... its pretty expensive ($750-$950).

I have heard that the Springfield XD series, Sig Sauer P229 and Glock 19 are all reasonably comparable 9mm guns to the HK USPC 9mm and P30 9mm ... but are significantly cheaper (by several hundred bucks ... HK is a high-end brand). In any case, I'd still recommend a larger caliber than a .22 ... but, you know what you're looking for better than I do.

Good luck and good shooting.

SnakeDoc

Thanks for the advices, im not buying this .22 gun, its one of those things you..."get" when someone dies and leave you some stuff (sorry dont know how to say it in english).

I was looking for a Glock 17 9mm, i found some but they cost 1100 US dollars...thats pretty much.

Maybe i buy one, but not yet.

$1,100 USD for a Glock 17?! that's crazy! it's only $500 for us in the States. i'd rather buy an HK for that much $$$ but then i guess HK's cost $2K+ where you're from. wow!

Holy moly. $1100 for a Glock is ridiculous ... $400-$500 in the US. If you're going to spend that much, might as well get an HK (or a Desert Eagle). Even the HK45 is less than $1K (though some of the seriously badass expert and tactical HK USPs can be $1500 or up).

SnakeDoc

Back