Hot toys bootleg figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6joker9

Super Freak
Reaction score
How many and from which movies did hot toys release bootleg figures? i have seen brad pitt as david mills from se7en, tom cruise from mi2, neo from the matrix, george lucas the director, will smith from independence day and jack tavern from speed. are there any others and any pictures available? any of you guys own any of these? thanx :)

I forgot... i have also seen a hot toys colin farrell from swat.

Maybe it's just me, being rather new to Hot Toys...

But what the hell are you talking about? Hot Toys bootlegs?!

Hot Toys hasn't made any figures based on those characters. Except for George Lucas.

The only bootleg Hot Toys sculpts I've seen on Ebay are the 1st Michael Jackson figure and the Tony Stark sculpt from Mark 3

I don't have a list, but I remember the Lobby sceene Neo from The Matrix, Tom Cruise from Top Gun and also MI:2 and there was the George Lucas as 'the Director'.

I'm sure there are loads more but they stuck in my head.

Thanx wook, and you other guys bootleg means unlicensed and yes hot toys did make those figures i mentioned... i think.

Are these from the time that they were still new? Like 10 years ago? I saw that Neo from eBay once :D

I believe they also released an Edward Norton headsculpt for one of their military figures back when the Incredible Hulk hit the theatres. There's also a Prince Harry military figure.

Mike Crawford's site is a good place to check out some of those earlier releases, as he normally calls them out when a "generic" headsculpt is obviously intended to represent a real person.

I believe they also released an Edward Norton headsculpt for one of their military figures back when the Incredible Hulk hit the theatres. There's also a Prince Harry military figure.

Mike Crawford's site is a good place to check out some of those earlier releases, as he normally calls them out when a "generic" headsculpt is obviously intended to represent a real person.

Yeah I reviewed the Blues and 'Royals"
https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_122608b.htm
Amd the Ed Norton 75th Ranger
https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_101008b.htm
There have also been a ton of others- Kurt Russell from 'the Thing' was a PMC, Terrance Howard as Rhodey from IronMan was a 75th Ranger and recently we had True Tyopes looking like Obama, Taylor Kitsch and the Prison Break brothers, and I know there are many many others. However I think 6J9 is talking about the early figs that were even dressed to look like the movie counterparts but not 'officially' allowed to be them!

How many and from which movies did hot toys release bootleg figures? i have seen brad pitt as david mills from se7en, tom cruise from mi2, neo from the matrix, george lucas the director, will smith from independence day and jack tavern from speed. are there any others and any pictures available? any of you guys own any of these? thanx :)

I've owned the George Lucas figure; here's the review (be kind its an old review :lol) I also used to own the Neo figure. The only other one I know for sure was from HT was the Tom Cruise figure. These 3 were all part of the "FamousType" series.

I've heard that the Mills was also HT, but have never seen the packaging so I'm not positive about that. Never heard of the other 2 being released. Although they could have just been lookalikes mixed in with their other series :dunno

I wouldn't consider the military headsculpts to be bootleg figures... since they are just a likeness, not a full on figure. Whereas the Famous Type figures were full figures based on a film (or person) made without any licensing.

Hot Toys military figures and TrueTypes often had/have likenesses of well-known celebrities, politicians, etc., but I wouldn't call them "bootlegs." A bootleg would be making a cheap copy of an existing Hot Toys figure and releasing it as a Hot Toys figure though it is not. What Hot Toys does is find creative ways around licensing restrictions, while creating new, original products. Like calling figures "snap kits" and making folks put them together instead of assembling them in the factory.

The pilot figures were Tom Cruise from "Top Gun" and also Will Smith "Independence Day" style. I think all the other non licensed specific costume and likeness figures that I'm aware of have been mentioned.
They have done a bunch of nude and military figures with celebrity likenesses. I haven't seen it mentioned but I believe they did a David Beckham sculpt.

Along with Cruise from Top Gun they also released a F-15 pilot Val Kilmer. Can't get these now though...oh well, my beach volleyball "playing with the boys" dio will have to wait

I think the OP is interested with the Famous Type series, as opposed to their military line. However, they did make a pilot in one of their earliest military figures that resembles Top Gun's Iceman. But from what I know, that figure wasn't part of their Famous Type :) A local store here was selling that cheap.

Back