Hot Toys C-3PO (ROTJ)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's very obvious - the retailers who perform well or compete against SS are always kicked to the back of the line for their stock.

BBTS is quite literally ass-end to stock now. AE is getting drug out.

I had a local guy who told me that his shop was audited by Sideshow and frozen from ordering because of a google review he received. It stated his prices were great and he preferred buying from this guy rather than Sideshow - sideshow went after him and said he was underselling them and that's a no-no. After that all of his products had a price tag in ever promotional post he made.

I'm honestly surprised Sideshow hasn't just 'exclusified' HT products to their site and cut our all the middlemen. It'd fit their greedy tactics.

It's very obvious - the retailers who perform well or compete against SS are always kicked to the back of the line for their stock.

BBTS is quite literally ass-end to stock now. AE is getting drug out.

I had a local guy who told me that his shop was audited by Sideshow and frozen from ordering because of a google review he received. It stated his prices were great and he preferred buying from this guy rather than Sideshow - sideshow went after him and said he was underselling them and that's a no-no. After that all of his products had a price tag in ever promotional post he made.

I'm honestly surprised Sideshow hasn't just 'exclusified' HT products to their site and cut our all the middlemen. It'd fit their greedy tactics.
I wouldn't doubt that we end up there someday..."Sideshow: The EXCLUSIVE home of Hot Toys!"

Mine arrived today. It appears to me, when I felt it in my hands, that the weathering was possibly sealed under the gloss coat, and would be impossible to remove. Regardless, I hit the spare "eyeball out" faceplate with acrylic thinner, then enamel thinner, then EX-04-06, then clear coat compound trying to see if there was any chance I was mistaken. The good news is that nothing damaged the finish. The bad news is nothing had any effect whatsoever on the orange weathering paint. So, long story short, I'll have to live with this version until they do a cleaner version down the line that I can weather myself more film accurately. I get what HT was trying to do, I just think it was done clumsily, it's simply too reddish and prominent in my opinion. I'd prefer it more subtle with more matted finish here and there, like the film version.

IMG_5885.JPG

c-3po-7600938-normal.jpg
rotj-40th-6-1536x785.jpg

Last edited:
Received my ROTJ C-3PO yesterday. I've got some problems with mine, and was wondering if anyone has the same?

1. Right hand (open-handed) keeps feeling off of the rivet/peg. The other hands fit perfectly fine. There's not pop/snap when I attach it, very loose. I think the hole in the hand that the peg fits into is a too large.
2. He won't stand on his own at all, nor does he even stand very well with the crotch grabber. The left (silver) foot doesn't have much range compared to his right (not that either of them have any range), and both his feet just aren't sitting right no matter how I try and reposition them.

Update: I took his feet off the pegs and re-attached them, which has since given me more range and flexibility. He can stand a little better now, but still not great. He could easily fall over if someone bumped a shelf he might be standing on. Played a little bit more with the crotch grabber, and it's almost completely useless (plus I really don't care for the stand). I'm afraid it actually might start scratching the gold finish. So far, I'm kinda disappointed in the quality, not as solid as I had hoped from Hot Toys. Unless anyone has some tips?

Attachments

• IMG_7067.JPG
    IMG_7067.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7068.JPG
    IMG_7068.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Received my ROTJ C-3PO yesterday. I've got some problems with mine, and was wondering if anyone has the same?

1. Right hand (open-handed) keeps feeling off of the rivet/peg. The other hands fit perfectly fine. There's not pop/snap when I attach it, very loose. I think the hole in the hand that the peg fits into is a too large.
2. He won't stand on his own at all, nor does he even stand very well with the crotch grabber. The left (silver) foot doesn't have much range compared to his right (not that either of them have any range), and both his feet just aren't sitting right no matter how I try and reposition them.

Update: I took his feet off the pegs and re-attached them, which has since given me more range and flexibility. He can stand a little better now, but still not great. He could easily fall over if someone bumped a shelf he might be standing on. Played a little bit more with the crotch grabber, and it's almost completely useless (plus I really don't care for the stand). I'm afraid it actually might start scratching the gold finish. So far, I'm kinda disappointed in the quality, not as solid as I had hoped from Hot Toys. Unless anyone has some tips?

You are not alone. I had a similar experience with the feet. The gold foot on mine has less range and the heel can't quite touch the ground. The hands fit ok and I'm not bothered about the fingers not being articulated as that can create other issues with floppy fingers. I was really looking forward to getting a C-3PO in the collection (been a ridiculously long wait) but now I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed.

* The range of motion is worse than anticipated.
* The gold is too saturated and not helped by the orange weathering.
* The eye spacing is wrong including the 3 black dots in the eyes which should be lighter.
* The 'nose groove' is too shallow and barely noticable.
* The base is fugly as hell and I wanted a standard name plate to put on a different base.
* I believe the foot is the wrong colour (as mention earlier in the thread). It's hard to get clear reference on that.
* The arm pistons could have been thinner but the mechanics work well as is.
* The top half of the body can pop off real easy at the waist if you are not careful.
* When looking at the back, a black square(ish) plastic thing can be visible between the upper torso and the waist unless you tilt the upper body right back. I don't know what that's for but it seems badly designed and not very well hidden.

Combine all that with R2D2 not having a base of equal height (so pairing them looks odd), it's all a bit of a mess.
Despite my small list of nits, I'm still glad I have something to represent the character and it's still a fairly good representation. 😆

I had the same ankle issues too but no peg issues. I would say my 2nd face plate doesn’t want to go on as well as the “normal” face plate. I don’t want to force it on and break something.

I would say overall I’m very happy with the figure. I can’t tell if I like this one or the SS version more. I just like the posable hands that came with the SS version.

I wish Salacious had a little more detail:

IMG_2026.jpeg

All over very cool figure though 👍🏼

I just got this today from Darkseed and I must say, he is a heavy boy. I too noticed the same issues with the feet. He is very different to get him to stand even using a crotch grabber stand. I put him next to the SSC version and my wife immediately stated "I don't like him". Lol

Hopefully they will resolve these issues with the figure before the next version releases. This is not a cheap figure.

But that Salacious Crumb certainly is. 😬 :lol Seriously - I've said before it literally looks like a 6" or even 4" Hasbro figure scaled up to 1/6. Not cool, Hot Toys. He may be small, but he's a quite prominent character that deserved a really good 1/6 figure.

The newer SSC Salacious may have been stupid-fragile and lacked real fur like this HT version, but at least it looked like it belonged in a high-end hundreds-of-dollars fig release.

It's funny that when the Tamashii 3PO came out people completely freaked out over the fat/thick arm pistons, yet the HT 3PO's pistons are close to that same Tama thickness and no one says a word.:dunno:lol

Despite all the other significant flaws on their 3PO (poor face sculpt, drab paint, not-great weathering, oversized hands, wonky thumbs) Sideshow actually resolved the issue of arm articulation very well - accurate piston size yet still with over 3/4 of the range of arm bend of HT and Tama, even if they're plastic and slightly fragile so must be moved carefully.

arms.png

You are not alone. I had a similar experience with the feet. The gold foot on mine has less range and the heel can't quite touch the ground. The hands fit ok and I'm not bothered about the fingers not being articulated as that can create other issues with floppy fingers. I was really looking forward to getting a C-3PO in the collection (been a ridiculously long wait) but now I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed.

* The range of motion is worse than anticipated.
* The gold is too saturated and not helped by the orange weathering.
* The eye spacing is wrong including the 3 black dots in the eyes which should be lighter.
* The 'nose groove' is too shallow and barely noticable.
* The base is fugly as hell and I wanted a standard name plate to put on a different base.
* I believe the foot is the wrong colour (as mention earlier in the thread). It's hard to get clear reference on that.
* The arm pistons could have been thinner but the mechanics work well as is.
* The top half of the body can pop off real easy at the waist if you are not careful.
* When looking at the back, a black square(ish) plastic thing can be visible between the upper torso and the waist unless you tilt the upper body right back. I don't know what that's for but it seems badly designed and not very well hidden.

Combine all that with R2D2 not having a base of equal height (so pairing them looks odd), it's all a bit of a mess.
Despite my small list of nits, I'm still glad I have something to represent the character and it's still a fairly good representation. 😆

I'm more concerned about flexibility and range of motion, plus the sheer delicate nature of Hot Toys in general, at least in my experience, are easily breakable. Because he's so hard to stand and articulate, I worry about breakage a lot.

* Salacious Crumb is definitely a let down. I always loved that little muppet, especially after "From Star Wars to Jedi" when he talked into the camera, which gave him that extra bit of personality. Reminds me a lot of Einstein that came with the Marty McFly re-issue that looks and feels like some sort of pre-school toy.
* I'm perfectly happy with the overall look of 3PO (details). While I appreciate attention to detail, there's only so much we can ask for, IMO. I'm not crazy about the weathered look, but I wanted an Original Trilogy 3PO. I'm placing my bets that Hot Toys will have a bunch of re-issues and new figures come 2027 for the 50th Anniversary, including a A New Hope 3PO.

At least I'm not alone in having issues with him standing and range of motion in his feet. The open right hand does bother me because it will not attach to any of the pegs and just falls off. The hole inside of the hand is clearly too wide to pop into the peg correctly. I've let Sideshow know, and hopefully they can send me a replacement hand, as they've been good to me before in the past with stuff like this.

I dunno - while I was really hoping a HT version would replace it, the newer SSC Salacious doesn't stick out in a wider display of HT-level figs as being Hasbro toy-ish or noticeably inaccurate. Paint's slightly meh and I did slap some Hasbro Chewy fur on mine (the top-of-head tuft must have fallen on my closed mouth/palace Salacious.)

All I'm saying is that this ROTJ release was a real opportunity to get a definitive HT Salacious - super-real paint apps with real fur, full articulation, bendy tail etc

53826901313_b5b3f21086_h.jpg

53826900463_ceb0a9c597_h.jpg

While I still think this is a worthy purchase, it was a needlessly rushed release hy Hot Toys. They completely "ruined" a perfectly good figure with a lazy factory spray job. And I also wish Salacious didn't look like a cake topper toy.

I would love to have this figure in my collection but do not like the OTT weathering, I just cannot face paying the cost for a figure I do not feel is good enough. If we see another release in a few years with a cleaner look, maybe ANH version I will certainly go for that.

Back