Hot Toys DX15 Captain Jack Sparrow (Dead Men Tell No Tales)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys DX Captain Jack Sparrow (Dead Men Tell No Tales)

This Base looks awesome! It's more imposing, more intimidating and yes it does not need a diaorama as the base itself completes that figure.
To me I prefer this over the wheel. Just personal preference.
As for DX joker / I am very clear : have them all and in multiples but I will jump day 1 on a DX joker pre order. I would love an anniversary set with all 3 / 4 versions in a sexy collectors box! : mob scene / bank robber / cop etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the smirking sculpt on the DX06 definitely looks more natural. The smirking face on the DX15 reminds me a lot of the upcoming Han Solo Stormtrooper--they both just look like really creepy smirks, not coy/wry smirks.

The value of the DX06 will almost assuredly to go down. Not necessarily because this figure is so much better, but because most people who don't already own the DX06 will prefer to purchase a brand-new, updated figure for much less than what the DX06 has been going for. I would be shocked--SHOCKED--if Kit Chen or someone doesn't make a DX06-esque steering wheel type base and/or a faceplate with a grinning sculpt that can be used with this DX15.

Yeah, the smirking sculpt on the DX06 definitely looks more natural. The smirking face on the DX15 reminds me a lot of the upcoming Han Solo Stormtrooper--they both just look like really creepy smirks, not coy/wry smirks.

The value of the DX06 will almost assuredly to go down. Not necessarily because this figure is so much better, but because most people who don't already own the DX06 will prefer to purchase a brand-new, updated figure for much less than what the DX06 has been going for. I would be shocked--SHOCKED--if Kit Chen or someone doesn't make a DX06-esque steering wheel type base and/or a faceplate with a grinning sculpt that can be used with this DX15.
How far you think dx06 will go down? I debating purchasing one for ?265

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Hard to say what the price drop will be, the difference in display bases will be the key factor, some may prefer to get DX06 with the base they want vs buying DX15 and paying another $50+ for the wheel sold separate.

Hard to say what the price drop will be, the difference in display bases will be the key factor, some may prefer to get DX06 with the base they want vs buying DX15 and paying another $50+ for the wheel sold separate.
Yeah i hear ya definitely debate I'm going through. I debating grabbing a dx06 for the rare factor see what happens. I could always sell. Do you think the dx15 will sell out I honestly don't so it could flood it. But was debating getting the dx06 for now just to have and could always sell I don't see it dropping huge dx01 is still alot

At this point, DX06 also comes with two well done portraits, where DX15 comes with 2 but only one is done well, so it may as well not come with a second. I would imagine any serious drop in DX06 prices will come when DX15 actually ships and we know what the final product is. HT isn't beyond working a figure between preorder and production, the smirk head could be polished up before it gets to us, and if they nail that portrait, then the wheel base becomes all DX06 has over DX15, that and hands that don't have the JACK tattoo, if that really bothered someone.

Yeah i hear ya definitely debate I'm going through. I debating grabbing a dx06 for the rare factor see what happens. I could always sell. Do you think the dx15 will sell out I honestly don't so it could flood it. But was debating getting the dx06 for now just to have and could always sell I don't see it dropping huge dx01 is still alot

You are better off holding your dx06 purchase. This is just a prototype and hot toys is known to make minor improvements / having said that overall this will have better shelf presence. If all you care for is a wheel then like someone said / eventually some one may make one.

Lastly if you still want dx6 wait for these to start shipping, most people will let their dx6 go when this one ships out vs people shelling them out now. One way or another it's a win win for you.

This one is a stellar release overall and the return of DX sets so even more special

I actually like the base on this. As MaulFan stated earlier, it creates sort of a mini environment for the figure; even more so than the DX06 Pearl wheel, I think. What I like in particular is the ocean water effect, which to me sort of puts emphasis on the whole "Caribbean" aspect, or creates sort of a Caribbean environment.

You are better off holding your dx06 purchase. This is just a prototype and hot toys is known to make minor improvements / having said that overall this will have better shelf presence. If all you care for is a wheel then like someone said / eventually some one may make one.

Lastly if you still want dx6 wait for these to start shipping, most people will let their dx6 go when this one ships out vs people shelling them out now. One way or another it's a win win for you.

This one is a stellar release overall and the return of DX sets so even more special

Thanks bud yeah good advice there

At this point, DX06 also comes with two well done portraits, where DX15 comes with 2 but only one is done well, so it may as well not come with a second. I would imagine any serious drop in DX06 prices will come when DX15 actually ships and we know what the final product is. HT isn't beyond working a figure between preorder and production, the smirk head could be polished up before it gets to us, and if they nail that portrait, then the wheel base becomes all DX06 has over DX15, that and hands that don't have the JACK tattoo, if that really bothered someone.
Now you got me Interested about hands gotta look at those

I'm certain if you really start looking, you will see maybe differences -- subtle -- in nearly everything. For instance, the new white/orange hand-wrap instead of his old black one. The coat looks better, the vest maybe not.

But you really have to look, and you really have to have a definitive preference of one movie Sparrow over another. The biggest difference is from COTBP to DMC because of the pants color change and the "hoarding began" (fur tail, Mum's head, extra belt).

I actually like the base on this. As MaulFan stated earlier, it creates sort of an environment for the figure. I think what I like the most in particular is the ocean water effect, which to me sort of puts emphasis on the whole "Caribbean" aspect of it.

Comparing this based to the wheel of DX06, this base looks like it could easily have been cut out of a movie still. a piece of a boat, water splashing around it as it sinks, even the shark could easily be rising from next to the boat like that. This all makes the figure look part of something, where the wheel, while fitting for Jack, is a wheel without any context around it, so it looks out of place. Like someone mentioned, the new base looks like something you'd see with a PF, which I think is nice, display quality of a statue with posability of a figure.

Luckily, I don't really have a preference to what Sparrow outfit I prefer the most to where I don't concern myself with outfit nuances; I just want Sparrow represented in my collection. This one and the DX06 appear to be the clear choices for the best representation, depending on what you prefer, whether it be outfit, base, accessories, sculpt, etc.

Comparing this based to the wheel of DX06, this base looks like it could easily have been cut out of a movie still. a piece of a boat, water splashing around it as it sinks, even the shark could easily be rising from next to the boat like that. This all makes the figure look part of something, where the wheel, while fitting for Jack, is a wheel without any context around it, so it looks out of place. Like someone mentioned, the new base looks like something you'd see with a PF, which I think is nice, display quality of a statue with posability of a figure.

:exactly:

My sentiments as well. The wheel, while fitting for the character, seems simply more of a prop than a base that creates a mini environment for the figure. As I mentioned, I get more of a "Pirate on the Caribbean" ambiance from this base more so than just the wheel.

When I had DX06, these were the two displays I had him part of. The wheel seems like a perfect accessory for Jack, but I do think the overall "scene" of the new base looks cooler, almost wish I had both to see about trying to mix them.

34578264162_ef0887b04d_c.jpg

34740390045_d51971e1e6_c.jpg

I see the pirate flag is the same pattern from DX06 on DX15, only the new one at least looks worn and weathered, the other was too brand new looking, though still cool.

The biggest difference is from COTBP to DMC because of the pants color change and the "hoarding began" (fur tail, Mum's head, extra belt).

Everything changed, but the hair was the biggest change in DMC along with the extra belts, but it was still similar to COTBP. They went too far in OST with the extra long blond hair and bandana beads and the same can be said about DMTNT.

I think you mean On Stranger Tides. Almost the entire costume as well as the hair changed from Curse to Dead Man's Chest, but then remained through at World's End, then it took a dramatic change for Stranger Tides with costume and hair changes again. Dead Men Tell No Tales seems like it takes the OST look and adds to it but also has some elements that seem pointed back to the earlier looks.

When I had DX06, these were the two displays I had him part of. The wheel seems like a perfect accessory for Jack, but I do think the overall "scene" of the new base looks cooler, almost wish I had both to see about trying to mix them.

34578264162_ef0887b04d_c.jpg

34740390045_d51971e1e6_c.jpg

I see the pirate flag is the same pattern from DX06 on DX15, only the new one at least looks worn and weathered, the other was too brand new looking, though still cool.

That display looks awesome! :clap

I currently have the AWE MMS42 Sparrow as my representation of Captain Jack, so he's standing simply on an oval base. Despite it being an earlier MMS figure, I actually think it still holds its own and doesn't look out of place next to recent figures, but it's still obviously not as good as the DX06 or this one. I do think these Sparrow figures in particular look much better displayed on a diorama base, whether it be the Pearl wheel of the DX06 or this new base.

I think you mean On Stranger Tides. Almost the entire costume as well as the hair changed from Curse to Dead Man's Chest, but then remained through at World's End, then it took a dramatic change for Stranger Tides with costume and hair changes again. Dead Men Tell No Tales seems like it takes the OST look and adds to it but also has some elements that seem pointed back to the earlier looks.

Yeah, OST is the one I meant. :lol

I agree about Dead Man Tell No Tales, he's got more flowing hair like the first film and less dreadlocks and the beads are always visible again, unlike DMC and AWE. The bandanna beads are back on the right side and they look more like beads, not the bones he had in Pirates 4.

He still has too many belts and things hanging from it, but it makes sense I guess.

I agree about having too much in the new film. The third belt is thick and looks like it would really hinder his ability to move around, and adding a knife/mini sword on top of two pistols, it's getting to a crazy point.

I didn't like how the bandana or the beads were done in OST, thankfully, HT sort of idealized it with their figure. At the time, I felt it was because they were trying to make one last Jack that could sort of represent any movie, guess the new figure negates that lol. I do like that HT also downplays the blonde of the hair and almost keeps it dark like the first 3 films, an instance where I happily accept not being fully film accurate.

Back