Hot Toys Snowtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks amazing

Cheers! :duff I love me some troopers -- they got me into this hobby. But lately I'm finding I like 'em best displayed as a contrast to figures that have portraits. It was a few months ago I was staring down Vader, Boba Fett and Stormtroopers and thinking "Nobody's got a damn face" :lol

Looks great! Nice job ZE.

Thanks! Just extreme futzing.

So I’m trying the SSC boots.

They clearly have more detail and depth, and they’re also a bit bulkier.

The soles are thicker too, at least visually, because side by side they don’t seem to impart much actual height.

This is partly because of the way they’re currently mounted on the figure — as a test run I simply removed the SSC boots’ interior joint and stuck them on the HT built-in ball joint. The result is sturdy enough for now, but sacrificed a bit of articulation and some height, given the depth of the boot socket.

I haven’t had time to look at reference photos yet but even stock, I think the SSC boots are superior.

1770c35051d6e9c4437553253e156fae.jpg

3b7c67f27b7dea53e5d89cee134b9e8f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great ZE_501. I agree the SS boots look much better in proportion and paint. I may try to paint mine considering the rarity and high price of boots out there.

This old pic shows the modded Sideshow boots on the right, and a hybrid that is HT uppers/gaiters and Sideshow lowers on the left. The Snowie on the left is the unweathered one I have so the boots don't have any added weathering. I'm planning to get around to lightly weathering the shoes/soles area only.

I do think the Sideshow boots need some modding - I tightened up/thinned the gaiters, painted the straps (as the waffle pattern sculpt is way too rough) and sliced out the laces from the boots. I also used rubbing alcohol to remove maybe 90% of that yellowy/tan paint the SSC shoes have on the soles/tip as it's way too prominent.

While the Sideshow gaiters are a superior sculpt in terms of detail (its beautifully done,) I do think the HT gaiters are probably a little more accurate - the gaiter fabric isn't as billowy as the SSC sculpt shows, and the HT straps look more accurate.

The SSC shoes are just a bit oversized/chunky to be accurate, though the HT shoes are terribly flat and feel undersized. I actually tried to find other all-weather 1/6 shoes as an alternative because I don't really love the HT or SSC shoes, but after a lot of searching couldn't find anything that was a close enough match (at least without a ton of detail work to make them accurate.)

Before I weather the soles of the hybrid boot, I'm going to sand a mm or so off the bottom of the sole because the SSC boot is mostly too high/tall, so thinning the sole will bring the hybrid boot more into correct proportion (currently the SSC boot seems a tad too big for the HT gaiter.)

44161070824_d3b1a55bc2_k.jpg

It’s so funny but the old SS boots always looked like they were on the wrong feet or at least two left feet.

It’s so funny but the old SS boots always looked like they were on the wrong feet or at least two left feet.

Yeah, they are sculpted in a way where there's not a lot of difference between right and left.

Back