InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Aragorn 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t have it but I would say Captain Jack probably matches or surpasses Aragorns outfit.
Dammit, yes that new Artisan version looks amazing. All those rings, beads, buckles, belt tooling, layering etc...I'm sure a cosplayer could tear it to bits as to what is corrrect, incorrect or missing but going back to my original point of how Aragorn's simple outfit could be bettered down the line; it's all about someone going to town on every aspect of the costume and including all the details, such as you can see on Captain Jack 😀

I think there are two things here at play that are getting mixed into one:
1) accuracy of the fine details &
2) overall proportions and presentation.

The latter goes beyond the tailoring and is also influenced by the underlying body. This is what determines whether a figure looks like a figure, or like a "guy in a suit", as in, a scaled-down human. It's the body proportions, the right thickness and layering of fabrics, high quality cut and sew, correct blending of colors and weathering, etc.

While companies like Asmus are perhaps good at the minute details, I don't think they are that good at the overall proportions and presentation (i.e., once you zoom out). InArt particularly excels at the proportions and overall presentation, while Aragorn here might lack the accuracy in the finer details of the costume.

I personally always go for proportions and presentation first, and accuracy in details second, but ideally you of course have both. That's usually reserved for the custom world though, and is why I enjoy making customs so much - because it allows you to work on both.

Last edited:
It's quite a simple outfit to be honest so it could easily be bettered if more attention to detail is payed. Once you start adding real leather in there, it will be a completely different presentation...just takes someone with the stones to go all in and do it!

I have absolutely no interest in Marvel, Batman etc. but looking at the levels of details that go into the those outfits at 1/6 scale is mind-blowing to me. I feel people may have gotten desensitised to seeing them to be honest as it's become so commonplace now but there's always going to be someone new that comes along to push things further.
Yeah, more than once I've seen folks complain about a "simple" outfit but when you look at the amount of seams (HT) that have to be done, or an excellent production paint job, I'm still impressed.

And I already see room for improvement with the outfit - but - the question is would I want to pay for it. "Glove" leather, for instance, can be very thin and used for the coat.

But - not having this in hand, I'll give InArt kudos for working on things, I guess, from original releases - like making the stand magnets moveable.

The latter goes beyond the tailoring and is also influenced by the underlying body. This is what determines whether a figure looks like a figure, or like a "guy in a suit", as in, a scaled-down human.

While companies like Asmus are perhaps good at the minute details, I don't think they are that good at the overall proportions and presentation (once you zoom out). InArt particularly excels at the proportions and overall presentation, while he might lack the accuracy in the finer details of the costume.

TBH unless a fig is really pin-headed, or something, I'm not so good at picking out issues with underlying bodies. Or, at times, I decide I just don't want to mess with an original. I left my original Stealth Cap flat chested and stiff, because I decided I just didn't want to alter the original.

Does anyone know when we’re expecting to see a first look for Legolas?
They were cagey about mentioning an exact time frame because I think they are waiting for a third party company to provide reference material to original props. All they said is they hope for before end of year.

They are coming to SDCC this year, my personal hope is we see a proto then.

JND will be doing LOTR so might see some improvements on that if you really care to spend another $600-$1000 for it.
I'd rather they stick to 1/3 for LOTR but I guess they prefer to compete directly with InArt at the moment. I'd gladly sell this and Gandalf if I could get a really nice 1/3 Aragorn and Legolas that look really good.

They were cagey about mentioning an exact time frame because I think they are waiting for a third party company to provide reference material to original props. All they said is they hope for before end of year.

They are coming to SDCC this year, my personal hope is we see a proto then.
Some guy I know on Facebook has a CD full of reference photos of all the costumes, weapons, horses etc that was provided to ToyBiz back in the day...I've had a look at some of it and it's incredible. I've actually got Legolas outfit breakdown from every layer and angle that he posted. Tried to get Aragorn's too but he never got back to me sadly. It must see the light of day!

Some guy I know on Facebook has a CD full of reference photos of all the costumes, weapons, horses etc that was provided to ToyBiz back in the day...I've had a look at some of it and it's incredible. I've actually got Legolas outfit breakdown from every layer and angle that he posted. Tried to get Aragorn's too but he never got back to me sadly. It must see the light of day!
Could I please see pics of Legolas costume?

Could I please see pics of Legolas costume?
I don't have all the images on my phone but here are a few I just found on Facebook.

If you join the Facebook group Lord of the Rings Action Figures Archive & Museum and search for Legolas you can see the lot.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1719647094259.jpg
    FB_IMG_1719647094259.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1719647074909.jpg
    FB_IMG_1719647074909.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1719647045911.jpg
    FB_IMG_1719647045911.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1719647033976.jpg
    FB_IMG_1719647033976.jpg